Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Disston- Bummer

Disston- Bummer

I just bought a disston d15 victory saw wrapped in a canvas saw bag. I was all excited because it had a perfect rosewood handle and the blade looked great.

Took it home and on further inspection I don't think it was ever used. No wear, no rust... nothing.

I feel that a saw in this pristine of a condition shouldn't be used. Agree?

No--but then, it isn't mine.

Take care, Mike

I agree with Mike, but I know how you feel.
    Treat it with respect as you use it and it will give you an enormous amount of pleasure as you saw.
    A picture would be nice.
    Regards
    MC

Ditto to the previous two. It's your saw, so you can do what you want with it - possibly look for another similar saw so you can save it, but what are you going to save it for? I would use it.

Why save?

Well, if someones refrained from using this for some 60 years then I would rather continue with that sentiment since there are many "users" out there. This one has no signs of wear or use.

That little gloat rates a hearty "You Suck!" I would suggest keeping it prisitine if you are a collector, or alternately selling it to a collector who would also keep it prisitine. Saws in that good a condition with such a desirable etch are relatively rare and would bring a good price. With the proceeds you could by some really good users and still have a coupla bucks left over.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Dean I hear a big windy sucking as it goes by is that you???? As much as I love old tools & I am starting to learn to use them. I would wax that up & put it in a special built viewing case mounted where it can be seen in your shop. Then go out & find a few good users.
    I usually find it much easier to be wrong once in while than to try to be perfect.

My web page has a pop up. It is a free site, just close the pop up on the right side of the screen

Lot's of reasons why that saw may or may not have been used. What is clear, is that it was well cared for. From the added picture, my guess is that it has been used. The toe/heel heights are less than a NOS condition. At least if the blade length is 24" or greater [looks like 26" from here].

I don't think, though, that the original purchaser bought it, thought too highly of it to use, and socked it away for later generations to revere. It's just a tool. However, you seem to desire to preserve it as is. Cool. It's your saw.

I have gotten NOS and or used once or twice tools from a period one hundred or more years previous. Certainly higher on the rarity scale. Still use them, though. But...as they are my tools, I guess I can choose to do just that.

Same with this saw. Tis yours to do with as seen fit. Doesn't mean everyone is going to agree with the "Don't use" sentiment, though.

There currently is a thread going on over at WoodCentral wherein the OP postulated old tools shouldn't be modified. I don't necessarily agree with that either. [At least in the extreme, though I would draw my own personal line on something actually rare.]

What it all comes down to is a personal choice. I'm all for personal choice.

Take care, Mike

Never used-verified

Spoke to the family and it was never used...just stored. It is a 26" D-15 , lightweight, straightback. Based on the appearance, and comparison with original images the emblem was centered as is with this saw.

I may see if a museum could use it. I have other nice saws I have been using.

Is the disstonian Institute still up? If so the guy that runs that site might have an interest in it?

Well said, Mike. I guess everyone has a different feeling about this topic (use versus "preserve" some old tool or other), and that is what it really is, a "feeling" that will determine how the tool is handled: used or displayed in a collection, or some of both. In this case, I ask whether the item as such is rare or whether it is in rarely seen excellent condition? If it were in my hands, I'd certainly use it, because my idea of art is not a tool itself (especially not an _industrially_ produced tool, however rare or antiquated) but something that a tool can make -- but I know very well that not everyone feels the same way about this. The owner is free to do as he wants, which could include painting a landscape on it -- but I hope not!
    -Andy

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Lapinel View Post
    Spoke to the family and it was never used...just stored. ...
    Just out of curiosity, did they say why it hadn't been used?

Mike

Dean I know your pain. I have a beautiful 1860's 5T 28" No.9 with a label that I've been told to put away and not use.

This really goes against most of what I believe about tools, that they where made to do work and not used as decorations or collect dust.

I have broken that belief with 5 old made in NH push mowers I donated to museum at the NH State fair. Those had little use for me and would have sat in my barn and rotted. A saw is another matter.

I'll ask

I assumed based on his age that it was because he was a veteran of WW2 but I don't know yet.

Thanks, Dean.

Good reason for him to have a bit of memorabilia of the period.

Take care, Mike