Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Disston- Bummer

OK Mike, I got the scoop

I spoke to the daughter today and he was a collector but not a veteran of WW2. He got the saw from the widow of another collector and just put the saw away. Apparently he acquired many tools through marrriage but refused to use them if he hadn't bought them.

Super nice family (brother and sister). I did offer to return the saw but she declined.

Dean

I personally think you should carefully use the saw, if you like it, that is.

Last year I bought an original Kenyon Backsaw c. 1790. It was in decent shape, still lots of steel left. No kinks or bends. The handle had been cleaned and dunked in polyickithane, but sound and without cracks.

I'm the type of collector/user that won't own a tool that can't be used, I may not use them often, but they all get used. But with this saw I wrestled with the decision like you are. But I decided to restore the saw to useability.

The teeth were badly out of joint and uneven, so I sent it to Mike W who kindly agreed to set it right for me. He had to hand file and joint the teeth multiple times to bring them into line, he didn't dare punch new teeth into it, it came out beautifully! (Thanks again Mike).

At first I thought I'd only use it very occasionally, but I find myself reaching for it often enough and it gives me great pleasure each time I do, like I'm directly connected with the past.

Each time I use it I wipe it down and clean the dust from the gullets with a brush, I don't leave it on the bench, I always carefully return it to the till.

I believe a carefully used and well cared for tool is more beautiful than a NIB tool.

As to it's "value," since I am not intending to sell the saw, that's largely irrelavent to me. I don't buy and sell tools with the intent to profit, so I just don't think in those terms. If I have destroyed the collector value of the saw by retoothing it and it's only worth half of what I paid for it, when my heirs sell it, the difference is the fee for a lifetime of enjoying it.

David C

I like Bart's idea. If you don't feel you should use it, put it somewhere you can see it in your shop so you can enjoy it.
    Where did I put that tape measure...

Thanks everyone!

I considered all the fine advice and decided to use the saw. I take excellent care of all my tools so...why not? This will make the sawing experience another notch more enjoyable.

Dean

Thumbs up

Good onya mate!
    Proud of ya!
    Regards
    MC