Thread: Levard workbench

Levard workbench

Does anyone know what I should offer for this bench or should I make an offer? I like to build furniture, no chairs. Is this a sufficent size, seems skinny
    Her words-

54"x11"+a 17" long open pocket drawer.
    It's 3" Thick
    + 2 Vices
    + 2 or 3 Steel Square plugs that fit into the holes

It's never been used.
    Scandanavian.
    They don't sell them here.

Levard workbench.jpg

Thanks

PS id have to take a ferry ride to get it.

I found this also, i think this is the bench
    http://www.lervad.com/produkter_b2.a...tegorier_id=32

Single Technology Bench, 1320 mm1320 mm Benchtop with tool well. Solid beech open gate frame. Righthanded.
    Working height 83 cm. Item No: 6101083 Price in £: 575,- Semilar items
    6101072 - Price in £: 575,-
    Righthanded. Working height 72 cm

6101076 - Price in £: 575,-
    Righthanded. Working height 76 cm

6101172 - Price in £: 575,-
    Lefthanded. Working height 72 cm

6101176 - Price in £: 575,-
    Lefthanded. Working height 76 cm

6101183 - Price in £: 575,-
    Lefthanded. Working height 83 cm
    Accessories:6601000 - Protective Cover, righthanded
    6601001 - Protective Cover, lefthanded
    6400200 - Holder for Mechanics Vice
    10500500 - Mechanics Vice
    Last edited by Craig D Peltier; 05-23-2007 at 11:34 AM. Reason: more info

Craig,

Interesting you found this bench. Christopher Schwarz (the editor of Popular Woodworking and Woodworking magazines) just included a mention of it in his blog:

http://www.woodworking-magazine.com/...rkbenches.aspx

He was pretty unconvinced of the usefulness of such a bench.

As for you question about its worth, I don't have any idea, but I imagine not too much.

Mickey

Thanks , interesting. The one I see for sale is about $750 american I believe. I wonder if the vices alone are worth say $150 and offer that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mickey Elam View Post
    Craig,

Interesting you found this bench. Christopher Schwarz (the editor of Popular Woodworking and Woodworking magazines) just included a mention of it in his blog:

http://www.woodworking-magazine.com/...rkbenches.aspx

He was pretty unconvinced of the usefulness of such a bench.

As for you question about its worth, I don't have any idea, but I imagine not too much.

Mickey

I love the tilt-top bench, it looks like a mechanical bull. Seems silly to have a tool tray on it.

I think it looks like an almost perfect bench except for its shortness and superfluous tool holder. So add a couple or four feet to its length and do something else with the tool tray area, would be perfect. I saw a whole pile of these somewhere recently, probably in a photo of a new woodworking school, was intrigued.

Pam

I think it has some value

I think a bench like this does indeed have some value and usefulness. As your main bench, no way, but there are many times when one just needs a stable, non flexing structure to do some WW and the full size bench is way overkill.

Harry Strasil awhile back, did a post on his 'portable' bench, one he took around with him on his tours/shows, etc. It is more than stable and solid enough to do some serious work on but not so large as requiring a forklift to move it around.

Furthermore, I determined it would be a good early into the WW world project. It can be quite useful, can fit into a smallish area (always one of those in a shop) can allow me to do work that will lead up to a 'real' bench and develop some skills that will help ensure I do a half way decent job on the 'real' bench (BIG DTs are not easy to get them fitting real close all around, especially when the matching set is on a 75 pound top !! and the mate is 25 #s of leg/side)

So, I'm almost there. 50" long, 13" wide (19" feet), 4" thick maple top, 2-1/2” plank along one side so I can clamp long planks as needed on their side for edge planning, etc.

So, useful as an addition or step to getting to a 'real' bench (after a couple of tool cabinets to hold most used hand tools, then I make a real bench) where I can do much better work than on my 'B&D Workmate'.

However, I can't see $750, maybe $200 ?? or like an above poster, the vices are worth $150.

Thanks, Doug
    SHERWUD in the beautiful sierra foothills East of Fresno, CA

I asked her if she'd take 150.She said someone else offered her same thing and two people offered cash and handyman work. They can have it.

I was thinking about building the acorn bench anyways.

Thanks for your input, it helped me.

8. Lervard directions

Craig...

I just recently placed a pdf of the Lervard directions booklet on my site at

http://www.toolemera.com/grr/pam/tlppamphlets2.html

Look at the last item on that page. You can get a good idea of how it was intended to be used. Personally, I think that this is an example of design first, figure out how to use it second. It's a little bit light weight for heavy work. But if you need a smallish bench for a tight space, it might fit the bill

Best
    Gary

This is 'way out of date, but... the Lervad workbench featured here is a "carvers' bench". I bought one years ago and did a bit of light woodworking on it. As several have stated, its pretty light-duty as benches go, but it shines as a platform for shaping, carving and inletting rifle stocks.
    I have added 7 1/2" in width to the top and completely replaced the base with a slimmed-down Kranz-style base with laminated legs. That added about 75-100# in all. Its still a light-duty bench, but I butt it up to a heavier bench for planing sessions. Three sets of wooden dogs keep my planes intact. I made one set of Macassar ebony, one of Ipe and another of Jarrah.
    I built three 1840's-era students' desks for my daughter's high school stage productions, so work of some size is possible.
    Once I sort out how to post pictures, I have several to share, from start to finish.
    Tom