Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Grass is Growing and Yard Work is Mounting

The grass is growing more than I prefer...business travel combined with a hydraulic leak messed with my "schedule". So the lawn is still getting cut at 4" until I can get a week that I can do two cuts. And the ground is still very soft in places which doesn't help matters...so much concentrated rain every once in awhile just hasn't let things dry normally.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Question

.... Brad, what kind / size of a ZTR did you get ? Any pics ? sounds substantial .

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Schmid View Post
    Grass is growing good here in Southeast Texas. Between Chemlawn, lots of sunshine, and just the right amount of rain, I'm mowing tall grass twice a week. On the good side though, back in January I replaced the old rider with a new ZTR. Cut my normal mowing time from 1 1/2 hrs down to 30 minutes, and the new machine doesn't care if the grass is 4 inches or a foot, it never slows down. That means more shop time for me

For the weekend, I'm rebuilding our backyard fishpond and digging out to extend the patio and a few other minor chores, so I get to rent me a toy (mini backhoe/frontloader) for a day. So, cutting in to the shop time for now, but not for long.
    Every man’s work is always a portrait of himself.

I need to mow my lawn badly. A combination of applying weed killer during a few dry days last week and rain this week means the grass is really getting long.

I'm in Minnesota and have only mowed once to date.

Brian Elfert

Quote Originally Posted by Belinda Williamson View Post
    OK Tyler, pics to follow on Tuesday. Here is a pic from our first official pool day in late March. I'm the second from the right - in case you have trouble picking me out!

For some strange reason, Beach Boys tunes are floating through my head now...

"Two girls for every guy..."

and

"I wish they all could be Savannah, Georgia girls..."

Maybe there could be an SMC calendar...
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Roehl View Post
    For some strange reason, Beach Boys tunes are floating through my head now...

"Two girls for every guy..."

and

"I wish they all could be Savannah, Georgia girls..."

Maybe there could be an SMC calendar...

LOL . . . Well, at least you got some good tunes in your head! A calendar, now that could be interesting. Maybe we can get some of those funny guys over on the Turner's form interested in posing - seems like they'll go for about anything! By the way, three of the ladies in the photo are single. I'll see if I can find some more interesting photos to post - you know, photos of tools and things like that!

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Quote Originally Posted by Belinda Williamson View Post
    OK Tyler, pics to follow on Tuesday. Here is a pic from our first official pool day in late March. I'm the second from the right - in case you have trouble picking me out!

Oooooweee said with the utmost of respect.
    Thank you very much for the day brightener .
    I'd like to put in a request for less lawn mowing and more pool time please.
    Remember your sun screen.
    Last edited by Tyler Howell; 05-25-2007 at 9:50 AM.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Howell View Post
    Oooooweee said with the utmost of respect.
    Thank you very much for the day brightener .
    I'd like to put in a request for less lawn mowing and more pool time please.
    Remember your sun screen.
    I'll be glad to share your sentiments with the ladies! I always use my sunscreen. Our condo complex is very near Armstong Atlantic State, and a number of owners have started renting to students. I ain't real happy about that being the old fogey that I am, but it does make for some interesting pool scenery. I have nothing against students personally, but my condo is on the third floor overlooking the pool. The young sprouts like to close down the bars and party at the pool at 3 a.m. I have to get up at 5 so summers are a little tough on sleep. This weekend I'll take a shot of our co-eds just for you! We're a little off thread here and I hope I haven't offended anyone. I now return you to lawn mowing - except you of course Tyler!

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra

Quote Originally Posted by Boyd Gathwright View Post
    .... Brad, what kind / size of a ZTR did you get ? Any pics ? sounds substantial .
    Hi Boyd,
    I got a Hustler. Made in Kansas. I try to buy as American as I possibly can (even though the engine isn't). I can't "talk the talk" if I don't "walk the walk", if you know what I mean. BTW - my daily driver is a Harley. Did I mention I'm still proud of the hard working people of this country and I'll do what I can to support them

Hustler and Exmark are the most popular 2 that you see the commercial guys using in my area... It's been a real fine machine for the 5 months I've had it. I was forced to buy a narrow deck (36") because of gate access/width, but it mows so fast, it's no big deal for me. It's a commercial grade machine with Kawasaki twin. Bonus - it's fun to ride, and has a cupholder
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thumbs up

.... Hey Brad, that's a nice looking machine. With the 36” cut you can get in to all the tight places and do most of the trim. That cup hold makes it a BEST buy. I used mine last evening and I noticed my lawn looked a little wavy this morning but not for the same reasons .

Sharp looking mower

Hi Boyd,
    I got a Hustler. Made in Kansas. I try to buy as American as I possibly can (even though the engine isn't). I can't "talk the talk" if I don't "walk the walk", if you know what I mean. BTW - my daily driver is a Harley. Did I mention I'm still proud of the hard working people of this country and I'll do what I can to support them

Hustler and Exmark are the most popular 2 that you see the commercial guys using in my area... It's been a real fine machine for the 5 months I've had it. I was forced to buy a narrow deck (36") because of gate access/width, but it mows so fast, it's no big deal for me. It's a commercial grade machine with Kawasaki twin. Bonus - it's fun to ride, and has a cupholder
    Last edited by Boyd Gathwright; 05-25-2007 at 4:51 PM.

.... Hey Brad, that's a nice looking machine. With the 36” cut you can get in to all the tight places and do most of the trim. That cup hold makes it a BEST buy. I used my last evening and I noticed my lawn looked a little wavy this morning but not for the same reasons .

Sharp looking mower
    Hey! I guess you must have done some repairs since your original post
    You're large mower you speak of, it's a Z too?

You're absolutely right about the tight places. I have ALOT of trees and bushes, etc. There's just nothing like a Z in my situation. I don't have to use a push mower at all for trimming anymore.

Wink

.... Brad, I was referring to what I had in the CUP holder and yes I do have a Z.
    Ref: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=24956 (#4)

....Happy mowing, careful what you put in your cup holder !!

Hey! I guess you must have done some repairs since your original post
    You're large mower you speak of, it's a Z too?

You're absolutely right about the tight places. I have ALOT of trees and bushes, etc. There's just nothing like a Z in my situation. I don't have to use a push mower at all for trimming anymore.
    Last edited by Boyd Gathwright; 05-25-2007 at 5:42 PM.

.... Brad, I was referring to what I had in the CUP holder and yes I do have a Z.
    Ref: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=24956 (#4)

....Happy mowing, careful what you put in your cup holder !!
    Ah yes, Kubota. Another very nice machine.

Oh, I understood Keep the cap on though, don't want dust & bugs gettin' in there
    Have a good weekend!

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Peacock View Post
    What? Only 1 acre to mow? How about riding a mower to cut 3.1 Acres of grass. I can tell you one thing....a 39" cut mower deck didn't satisfy me one bit....9 hours of riding to cut the grass ONCE. Sold it, upgraded to a JD 48" cut, V-Twin Water-Cooled, power everything. Now it's only 2.5 hours for mowing the grass. Maybe I need to upgrade again to something like a 60" mower-deck.

Be safe and have fun everyone!!!!

Well U agree with you all.60" mower deck is really sufficient to cut out and it will must save your time to put it in your work.You can make more progress to it and can get the best benefits of it.

Well, first the grass growing comment got me, then I realised that it's a 6 year old thread............LOL.................Regards, Rod.

Did I fall into a time warp???