Thread: Hunter Cutters and Tools

Hunter Cutters and Tools

Good evening. I am interested in hearing from anyone who may have purchased and used any of the new(?) Hunter Tools. I am especially interested in the chisel for hollow forms and end grain that uses the round carbide cutter. I think is called the No. 3 and the No. 4. I currently have the full complement of the Jordon Hollowing tools and am satisifed with them. I've seen the Hunter tools mentioned in a few of the mags. I subscribe to and they have received great reviews. They are featured under new products, page A5, in the most recent Craft Supplies, Woodturners Catalog.

Thanks. t peterson
    Tom Peterson

Tom, we have three turners in our group that use the Hunter tools and are very happy with them. They are extremely happy with the finish off the tool and the life of the cutting edge before they turn it to use a new sharp edge. One of the members is going to put it on a Sudol bar for his deep hollow forms.

Hunter tools

Tom,

I had an opportunity to try these tools at our show a couple years ago and was only moderately impressed. I do feel they are very good for hollowing end grain since they are essentially scrapers. They work quite well for what you ask about.

I also tried them on face grain oriented bowls with very limited success. They did not really cut, but scraped, so they left a torn surface. Shear scraping did not work since you can't get a burr on the carbide.
    Happy and Safe Turning, Don

Woodturners make the world go ROUND!