Thread: Router plane ?

Router plane ?

Hi people, My father dug out and old wooden plane whci was his Dad's. He calls it was a router plane. (Australian) It has a fence so it is probably like what some call a plough plane (showing my ignorance here )? He said it had shaped blades fro doing edges like the modern day router.

It doesn't have any blades with it now. he said it used to have a big wallet full of them but it has dissapeared.

Has anyone seen something like this and can fill me in on what it is etc. Also is it possible to get blades for it.

here is the pics

[ATTACH]router plane 2.jpg[/ATTACH]

Thanks
    Robert
    Attached Images Attached Images

Not a router plane. It's a plow [or in other English speaking places a plough] plane. Different irons could offer different width grooves. Nice find.

Ken

Thanks for the info Ken. I was thinking it was a plough plane.

How would I get some irons for it.
    Robert

Robert, blades for plough planes are frequently listed on eBay, you may not be able to get everything you need in one listing but I am sure you will be able to collect a lot over a period of time.
    Where do you live? you might be able to find some at a local used tools dealer.
    The means by which an end is reached must exemplify the value of the end itself.

Zahid, I live in Japan.

Not too many store for this kind of stuff around here.

Buying one or two at a time could end up quite expensive for shipping. Maybe I could get some one to get them and hold them and then send them over?

BUt I don't know much about these blades. Are they a one size fits all? Or do you have to have a particlar set?

Robert

Plough blades in Japan!

Robert, I'm sure you've probably considered looking locally, but I'll put this out there just in case. The Japan Wood Worker in Alameda, Ca.USA lists a woodie
    plough plane with five blades from Asia(Japan?). They also list in their catalog sepperate Japanese laminate blades in a range 1/4'' to 11/4''. Maybe they can stear you to a local source. You can access their site by making a search for Japanwoodworker. I'd give the exact site except I'm not sure about the rules.Any way best of luck! Ralph

Thanks Ralph for the info. It is actually a Mujingfang plane. on the site you suggested. Not Japanese. I can probably get a Japanese plough plane here in Japan, through the tool guy I usually go to or in that area. Not sure of the cost though, could be a bit expensive.

But...I was really thinking of doing up this plane as it was my Grandad's and I would like to fix it up, use it and pass it on to my boys. The same as my other tools I am purchasing. I have had "get by with" tools for a while now and I am now trying to get some nice tools that I can pass on. (Even before I go to the next realm ) So I was hoping to try and get some blades.

THanks again for info.

Robert