Thread: Need help with changing table/dresser dimensions

Need help with changing table/dresser dimensions

I need some design help with the design of a changing table/dresser. My plan is for this to be a painted piece and will be constructed in the quick and dirty manner. I have the general design which my wife has approved, now I'm stumped after doing the layout. I've got this drawing and was wondering if everyone could weigh in on what component dimensions would work best given my overall project dimensions.

Before everyone responds that I should put this into sketch-up, I've tried and just don't have time to learn how to draw this and then resize until it looks appropriate. I'm just hoping to draw on everyone's experience here.

What should the dimensions of the following pieces be?
    1. What width should I make the legs?
    2. How high should the bottom stretcher be above the ground?
    3. What should the dimensions be at the taper?
    4. How wide should the bottom stretcher be as well as the rest of the horizontal dividers (between each drawer)?
    5. How wide should I make the vertical divider?
    6. How thick should the top be and then what kind of overhang does everyone recommend?

I was also wondering if I should bother taking the time to step back the horizontal rails from the legs, as well as recess the drawers from these rails? Since the sides will be flat I think this might make the front too busy in relation to the sides.

Thanks in advance for everyone's help,
    Wes Billups
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wes, my overall impression is that I like the use of drawers and the side cabinet that you have in your design. However, you have too many drawers in a 32" high dresser. (they will be too small) If you want 4 drawers then I believe you need to go higher, otherwise you should stay with 3 drawers. Here's a drawing using your dimensions with 3 drawers. Ron
    Attached Images Attached Images

If you go with the three-drawer option that Ron provided (which I like), you might want to consider graduating the height of each drawer, higher drawers towards the bottom.

Thanks Ron

Ron, thanks for that sketch. I had initially drawn it with 3 drawers but when you use a 4" high "toe kick" the 32" height means the drawers would need to be over 7" deep. I built a dresser/changing table for our last child with drawers 6" deep and my wife thought those were too deep. I do like the looks better with three drawers and will work that into the plan. I'll use Jeff's suggestion of graduating the drawers. I was thinking a 5" one at the top growing to 8" at the bottom. Deep drawers work great for diaper storage. My idea is to make the door on the right a pull out drawer designed to hold the diaper genie (similar to a pullout trashcan).

Any suggestions on the widths of the stretchers and vertical members?

Thanks again for that sketch. I figure when the kids get to college age I'll have time to learn how to use Sketchup.

Wes