Thread: New Lamp waiting for the LV Spokeshaves

New Lamp waiting for the LV Spokeshaves

While I am waiting for my new LV spokeshaves I tried to stay busy...keep my mind off the waiting. I finished a second lamp. It combines both hand and power tool work. The lamp shaft was contoured using the older LV low angle spokeshave and Nicholson #49 rasp and contour sanding with fids. First a dado was ripped in a solid piece for the wire. The wood is walnut and the finish is Tried and True after sanding to 400. The base was contoured with carving tools , machine and power sanding. This design has more layers of laminations than my first effort and is more stocky than the first. It still celebrates the "tree" as a form growing from its base (roots) to the shaft (trunk) and terminating in the shade (trees canopy). Here is where it differs from most lamps which have a seperate base attached to a shaft. The tree analogy is fitting a lamp and recalls the source of the extrordinary wood...the tree itself....
    Mark
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mark Singer; 01-06-2004 at 10:55 AM.
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Mark,
    I like the idea that your lamp has "roots" (couldn't resist) in a tree. It looks great. Would have been great to see a photo of the rough laminations when you tied the trunk to the roots!
    John

Mike...
    I have seen the light (nice lamp)...and someday soon you will too (when you get the spokeshaves).

Hurry up Mr. Lee...this man is acting a little weird...talking about lamp roots, trunks and canopies (which are something I thought you ate).
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

Glenn,
    Your right, I'm loosing it ....waiting for my LV spokeshaves and my Gripper and my Jet sander and my lathe...I'm in a hold pattern...making lamps like trees... inspiration not so much from nature as from waiting writing Haiku about my dovetails...in winter ...when will it end....everything will come on one day! Like therapy I will be well again...and look at trees again like ...."a poem as lovely as a tree...
    alas...

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Singer
    Glenn,
    Your right, I'm loosing it ....waiting for my LV spokeshaves and my Gripper and my Jet sander and my lathe...I'm in a hold pattern...making lamps like trees... inspiration not so much from nature as from waiting writing Haiku about my dovetails...in winter ...when will it end....everything will come on one day! Like therapy I will be well again...and look at trees again like ...."a poem as lovely as a tree...
    alas...
    At least you're not pretending you're "Gollum"....

Cheers -

Rob
    (still no letter Eric....)

Rob,
    I think you meant "Gallop" like in pony express....the carrier you've chosen to deliver my spokeshaves!(Just Kidding)
    Mark