Thread: Oneida roof venting

Oneida roof venting

This is a follow up to Mark Singers roof venting approach.

Mark, You are so right about our California wines! I am very excited about your roof venting idea as it will also save valuable space and $$$. I figure I will install the unit first and then have a roofing contractor friend of mine install the vent. Did you elbow up with your ducting? 6" ducting? I'm going to order the 2hp commercial unit to ensure that I have enough flow. I have enough headroom in one corner of the garage to accommodate the height of that unit. I'll go with a 35 gal drum to make it easier for this old man to empty!

I'm also going to wait until the unit is installed before I order any of the remaining ducting as I'll need to see how I''m going to run it to avoid rafters, garage door opener etc.

I'm also going to have to move a storage platform that is in that corner above the rafters to accomodate the cyclone. Knowing that the rafters in this particular garage were never meant to carry any weight. (Just 2X4's lapped and nailed together mid way across and tied to the peak of the roof). I'm going to have to contstruct some kind of support. Any suggestions on how to approach this?

John

Quote Originally Posted by John Scarpa
    I'll go with a 35 gal drum to make it easier for this old man to empty!
    Seriously consider the 55 gallon fiber drum...it's not that much heavier when full and you WILL fill it often. Switching to the larger bin was the best thing I did besides going to external filters on my present unit. It does add 13" to the height but if you add a couple more inches, you can put a small dolly under the bin to make it easier to move out from under the cyclone.

Knowing that the rafters in this particular garage were never meant to carry any weight. (Just 2X4's lapped and nailed together mid way across and tied to the peak of the roof). I'm going to have to contstruct some kind of support. Any suggestions on how to approach this?
    I may be misunderstanding what you want to do, but you really want to wall mount this unit, not suspend it from the rafters. It's really heavy. If you put a couple of 2x6 across the wall studs, you can lag the ell-shaped mounts into them and it will carry the weight very nicely.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    Seriously consider the 55 gallon fiber drum...it's not that much heavier when full and you WILL fill it often. Switching to the larger bin was the best thing I did besides going to external filters on my present unit. It does add 13" to the height but if you add a couple more inches, you can put a small dolly under the bin to make it easier to move out from under the cyclone.
    Jim, Thanks for the reply on the 55 gal drum. I'll take another look at this. I should have enought room.

I may be misunderstanding what you want to do, but you really want to wall mount this unit, not suspend it from the rafters. It's really heavy. If you put a couple of 2x6 across the wall studs, you can lag the ell-shaped mounts into them and it will carry the weight very nicely.
    Jim, I wasn't clear in that description. Unrelated to the cyclone I need to find away to store items above the rafters which were not designed to carry weight. Thanks for the tip on the 2x6's!
    John
    Last edited by John Scarpa; 01-05-2004 at 12:33 PM.

John, I sure concur with Jim on the 55 gallon drum. It also fills up too fast when I am planing. Here is a picture of my "wall hanging". I had a 55 gal drum I was using for a trash can, so I swapped it with the 35 gallon one that came with my small Oneida. I use a very large trash bag and it is fairly easy to lift out when full. When it is real full I have to lay the drum on it's side after I have tied the bag shut, and then pull it out.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kelly
    I use a very large trash bag and it is fairly easy to lift out when full. When it is real full I have to lay the drum on it's side after I have tied the bag shut, and then pull it out.
    Why do manual labor when a power tool will do it better?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    --

Oh now that it the cat's meow Jim! I need one of these things :-)
    Michael Mastin
    McKinney Hardwood Lumber
    Exotic and figured woods

Why do manual labor when a power tool will do it better?

That's awesome Jim! Did you get it just to empty the can? I know, it was just too far to the garbage pickup so you needed some muscle!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kelly
    Did you get it just to empty the can? I know, it was just too far to the garbage pickup so you needed some muscle!
    Lord, no...this is just an "icing on the cake" application of said orange tool. And sawdust gets composted around here--my pile from last week was about six feet in diameter and about 4 feet tall before the rain came. But the FEL (front end loader) is probably the most used feature of the machine; LOML uses it as much as I do for gardening and landscaping, too. The backhoe is about to get a real workout pulling some nice maple and walnut stumps out which should result in some awesome turning wood. Mowing grass is such a mediocre thing when you can do fun activities like harvesting turning stock!
    --

Hopper?

Hi Jim,

After reading about your attachment to your 55 gal. drum in another post but needed to do some fancy mounting for the taller mounting I was wondering why you didn't build a hopper. I thought I had seen the Kubota earlier. You should be able to get much more volume than 55 gallon and keep it short enough to not go up between the rafters to mount the new cyclone.

I agree that a tractor witha front end loader is a great help around the house.
    Last edited by Ken Salisbury; 01-07-2004 at 7:33 AM. Reason: spelling
    Chuck

When all else fails increase hammer size!
    "You can know what other people know. You can do what other people can do."-Dave Gingery