Thread: New plane offerings

New plane offerings

Has anyone tried the anant kamal series from highland hardware? They have a good assortment of bench planes including the 10 rabbet and two spokeshaves. Im looking to buy a number 5. The description says a 1/8 thick blade and a 3/16 thick chipbreaker and a better machining quality than the standard line. Ill probably buy it next paycheck, so Ill give a review if I do.

They may be ok.

I just like the old stuff better. I enjoy discovering, dickering & cleaning up & sharpening & putting back to work old tools.

What about buying an old plane at a very low price clean it up & put in a Hock blade & if need be a Hock chip breaker.

You may like to read this info. althow it not very conclusive.

http://www.woodworking-magazine.com/...eb7bb20d4.aspx

I have purchased A block plane with adjustable mouth 2 #3's a #4 a #5 a #6 a #7 (actually it a Miller Falls #22 same as a Stanley #7) over time for approximately $155 & a duplex rabbet plane for $10 & a Record low angle 60 1/2 block plane with adjustable mouth for $10. I just got a #45 type 10 with 1 box of blades for $80. I pick up spoke shaves for around $13 - $15 a #151 & #60 spoke shave for $40. 2 #29 transitional for $30. I enjoy the history of old tools. I just wish old tools could talk. Its all fun fun fun.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bart Leetch; 05-27-2007 at 1:42 AM.
    I usually find it much easier to be wrong once in while than to try to be perfect.

My web page has a pop up. It is a free site, just close the pop up on the right side of the screen

No experience with the Kamal line, but I took a gamble on their normal line a couple of years ago and have been reasonably satisfied with their #8 jointer. The sole was flat and it does what it's supposed to. There's a pic on this post of a full width shaving coming out
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showpost...6&postcount=18
    My biggest complaint would be the same one as other non-LN or non-LV planes - the adjustments dont stay where you set them, and you have to re-adjust quite a bit. But for $90 bucks you cant expect a LN or LV.
    Use the fence Luke