Thread: Looking for Closet Ideas

Looking for Closet Ideas

Anybody have any pictures of closet organizers or built in dressers for a standard sized closet (e.g., opening dimension 6' 8"h x 5'w x 2' 6"d)

I have been searching the net, but have not found much.

I need to get my oldest Son's (15) room organized so my newborn son can move in shortly. I will be building a bunk-bed set or loft bed. Not much room for a dresser, so I am hoping to incorporate a dresser in the closet. I need to put the older Son's desk in the room (if I build a loft, maybe under it).

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks,
    Jim
    Last edited by Ken Salisbury; 01-07-2004 at 7:35 AM. Reason: spelling

Jim,

I redid a room for my daughter (she is now 22+ months) not too long ago and it included a custom closet organizer by yours truly. I will try like crazy to remember to take some pics tonight to post tomorrow.

Chris
    Last edited by Chris Padilla; 01-07-2004 at 10:24 AM.

Closet

Jim - Look at the California Closet site. We bought something from them several years ago. It was nice but a little expensive. You might get some ideas here. Also, Home Depot and Lowe's sell closet organizer kits with a lot of options. Good luck!!

Jim,
    Here are some pics of a recent closet I did for my home. The wood is walnut. The poles are stainless. It was simple to make , but a large project do to the size of the closet. There were 24 lower drawers alone and numerous shelves.
    Mark
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Singer
    Jim,
    Here are some pics of a recent closet I did for my home. The wood is walnut. The poles are stainless. It was simple to make , but a large project do to the size of the closet. There were 24 lower drawers alone and numerous shelves.
    Mark
    Holy Moly!!! Your closet is bigger than my son's room. By a bit. LOL!!!

Jim,
    Sorry no pictures, though I can say the loft/desk idea works well - I built a set-up like that in school. I had a desk underneath and room for a shelving unit on one end - you could make this end a dresser instead of the shelves. The desk area was a good place to study - kept me focused. Crude though the construction was on mine, I sold it for a profit after a few years of abuse. But I digress. Along with the other closet system suggestions, look at some of the local furniture stores, and possibly furniture websites - specifically kids stuff. There are a lot of bed/dresser/desk combos that transform into stand alones from the loft set-up. They may give you additional ideas.

Congrats on the little one!

Wes

I built a dresser built in the closet with a top and a bottom part were I integrated a diaper changing table. It was a pull-out panel installed between the upper and lower closet section. Mounted on sturdy metal drawer rails made out of 1" plywood board. Edges rounded and 1" high side mouldings to protect the baby and the changing mat from falling off. When the table was retracted it was literally invisible. My wife loved that setup because it left extra room for i.e. you sons desk. The whole baby stuff was neatly packed into the dresser top for easy access. The bottom held clothes for my son. The to was with 2 +2 doors 14"x18" which held each a shelving unit. The boottom consisted of one door with shelves on the side and 3 drawers ontop of each other.

I hope my description is good , the unit has been sold several years ago complete with our former house.

Good Luck and congrats for the newborn

Regards
    Hans

Well, better late than never! Here are 3 shots of the closet I designed/built for my little girl. It is all 3/4" Birch ply from HD painted with latex (white).

All the shelves on the left are adjustable as well as the very top shelf. Even the clothes hanger bars are adjustable. I put shelf standards everywhere I could so that the closet could be semi-customized as my daughter grew older.

When I was redoing her room before she was born, I disovered that the inlet for the HVAC (this is an upstairs room) only took up about 2/3 of the floor space so I rebuilt the box around it and gained a cubic foot or two of closet space.

Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Jim, Workbench magazine has an article for you, April 2003 # 276. I've been eyeing it, planning to make the plunge soon.

It's a simple torsion box design using hardwood plywood. The design is basic, easy to customize to your closet and looks almost as good as Mark's work (yea, right ).

The design doesn't pop up on the plansnow.com site. If you need a copy, let me know

Eliot