Thread: Lathe speed

Question Lathe speed

Hi All
    New "Jet" on the way
    Now the big question is: What speed?
    Taking Cherry or Maple, what speed for say a 1" spindle: a 3" something; a 8" bowl? Seems like there should be a optimal surface speed, depending on wood type.
    Looking forward to the lathe and all your answers.
    Thanks,
    Ken

Speed has a lot to do with what you feel comfortable with... when you are learning it is good to start slow because the inevitable catches will be a lot less scary! If you are comfortable with the lathe, a spindle can easily be turned at 2500-3000 RPM... 3 inch probably the same. With 8 inch you'll probably want to start at like 500-700 probably while square, but you can speed it up to maybe 2500 or so when it is round. Again start slow so that you don't get hurt! 1000 rpm is probably a good start for spindles when beginning.

Richard Raffan has a little chart in his book Turning Wood as to how fast you should go with the different sizes! If you don't have the book, you should get it... it is good! Wood variety usually doesn't matter so with cherry or maple turn 'em the same! Anyway, hope that makes sense!
    Isaiah 55:6-7

There is no set rule, just some guide line. This is from Dale Nish; some well known turners also use this to teach new turners.

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/pd...the_speeds.pdf

Gordon

My lathe (older PM 3520A) doesn't have a rpm indicator, so I guess . The longer I turn, the faster I turn. On bowls, if the lathe is wobbling, then I turn the speed down. Other than that, it is as fast as it will go. On spindles the same thing. The only difference is that I turn spindles on the high speed range (up to 3000), and bowls on the slow speed range (up to 1500). I have a friend who comes over once in a while, and he turns at about 200 rpm. He has one of those ornamental lathes, and that is its top speed. It drives me nuts, but it is what he is used to.
    robo hippy

Comment

Gordon, thanks for the article.

A comment - I find, once the piece is running balanced, that a faster speed reduces tear-out. My turnings todate are 7 inches or less (bowls) but I still turn as slowly as I can get away with and always start on the lowest speed since I have a variable speed lathe.

D -