Thread: help posting pictures

help posting pictures

As a long time lurker and occasional poster I am trying to move to the next level and post some of my furniture for comments and criticism.

We got a digital camera from Santa, and I have been playing with it some. All I have to do to transfer pictures from the camera to computer is plug it in.
    So far so good... Now it gets real confusing.

Can someone please point me to a VERY VERY basic , simple set of instructions to be able to post pictures. Lets assume I know nothing about computers, which is close to the truth. What little info I have found immediately uses phrases and terms I am unfamiliar with.

I know this has been asked before, I have done an archive search with no appreciable luck.

I am frustrated and unable ,at this time, to post a picture of my Christmas present from my kids, a Shop Fox hollow chisel mortiser which came today.

Thanks for any guidance

Jim Cunningham

Jim,

I hope I can help with that tall order of speaking plainly. I'll do my best.

In the screen where you type out your message, if you look down, there is a section called "attach files." If you look across the screen you'll see an underlined section called "manage attachments." Click on this. This opens up a new screen. Once here, you'll see a button that says, "browse." Click on it. That will open up yet another screen. This screen allows you to get to your picture file which you should have stored/saved on your computer or your camera which is hooked up to your computer. I'll assume you know how to navigate to where the picture is. You click your left mouse button twice and then it will show up in the "manage attachments" window which you had opened up earlier. Now just click "add this file" and then either click "all done" or go back and add another picture. When you're all done, click "all done." The window will close and the file(s) is now attached to your message.

That's it!!!

If you need help navigating to get your pictures, let me or someone else know. I'm sure they'll be happy to help you out.

Hope this helps.

Jason
    Last edited by Jason Tuinstra; 01-07-2004 at 4:01 PM.

Jason got most of it.

The two biggest things I have seen that have cause people trouble is:

1) The file size of the picture is too big...it needs to be under 100k (resizing is another matter and we can help you with that too)

2) Not being patient and waiting for the file to show up in the list before clicking all done. (one thing I would like to see vBulliten add is a loading progress screen for this issue)

Let us know if you are still haveing trouble.

Noah

PS. Here is a link to a post I made with some step by step insturctions...I know Jim Becker has a good post about it too but I am too lazy to find his

<a href="http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?threadid=3993&highlight=photo"> http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?threadid=3993&highlight=photo</a>
    To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children; to earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends; to appreciate beauty, to find the best in others; to leave the world a little better; wheter by a healthy child, a garden patch or a redeemed social condition; to know even one life has breathed easeir because you have lived. This is the meaning of success.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Jim,
    As Noah suggests, file size(resulting from the size of your image for the most part) is very important for posting. After your pc downloads the images from the camera, you will likely need to re-size them to get below the 100k threshold and re-save them(somewhere else or you will have to change their filenames so you don't loose your hi-resolution originals)for posting. Then you will need to know where you have saved them to so you can post as Jason has directed.

If you need additional help with your imaging/photo software, just ask.

-Steve

ps I, like many others save my hi-res originals in a specific directory(windows/Mac) folder. Then, when the folder contains over 600 meg or so, write the images to a CD for permanent storage.

Jim, resizing pictures to get them small enough to post on this forum might be a problem for you too. It was for me also, until someone on this forum suggested this free program download.

http://bluefive.pair.com/pixresizer.htm

It is super simple to use. Just custom resize to no more than (500 X xxx), or (xxx X 500), 500 being the largest number in the aspect ratio, save your picture and then attach it to your post as explained previously.