Thread: Newbie hopeing to ask a few questions

Newbie hopeing to ask a few questions

Hello all, I am going to be new to wood turning and this is my first time posting in a forum/thread. I hope you don't mind if I ask a couple of questions as I have no mentor or foundation to work from. I stripped my garage clean this weekend to build a work bench. I am limited on width to about 2 feet but I can have about 15 feet of length. My b-day Father's day and anniversary are all coming up in June so I figure that is three tools to get started. Here are a list of questions I had. Just tell me to pound saw dust if this is not the right place for me to ask such rookie questions.
    1. Mostly interested in pens to start. What three basic power tools do you think I would need besides a lathe and a drill press.
    2. I was going to purchase a rikon or jet midi but I found a craftsman 12 inch model 113.23800 with some tools for $40. I would like to save the money but, I am woried about it being too big or old to turn smaller things like pens? Do you think it will be good for pens and, do you think I will have to search endlessly for parts. Basically, would I be better off spending the extra $200 I don't have on a new lathe?
    3. Will 3/4 ply be sturdy enough for a bench top or should I use 2x12? do you think 2 feet of width will be enough to mount the lathe with the motor behind it (total base width of lathe and motor is 21 inches)?
    4. Does the highth need to be about waist high or higher?

Sorry for all the questions but I want to get set up right the first time. I have been researching and reading for several weeks now and thought it was time to "ask the experts"! That was a little butter up so maybe you will help me. Thanks in advance

New Turner

John,

Welcome to the abyss. If you are interested in turning pens, you will need something to cut the blanks with. If you buy pre-cut blanks, yiou can get by with just a miter box. I have a table saw, and it does a good job of rough cutting, but I'd trade it in a minute for a band saw. I think a 10-14" band saw would be a very good addition to your tool list.
    As for the lathe, there are better people than I on this board to comment on this. I would opt for the new Jet 1220 lathe, and a set of the Eindsor Design turning tools from Harbor Freight.
    Finally, I would suggest finding a club in your area. Demonstrations, and 1 on 1 help are huge for a beginner.

Good Luck,
    Dan Heine

Welcome to the forum and the abyss!

You can do pens with nothing but a lathe (buying your blanks pre-cut and using the lathe as a drill) but a drill press and band saw sure come in handy for turning projects. It won't be long before you find yourself wanting to do bowls. That's where a band saw is especially helpful.

As far as the lathe, anything that makes the wood spin will work if you can get it for the right price. But that said, I'd opt for the 1220 myself. I'm not familiar with that Craftsman model but I'd be willing to be you'll be looking at better lathes before not too long. Daniel's suggestion of the HF tool set is sound. It's a good way to get going on tools for little money.

I used 3/4" MDF on two sawhorses for my mini-lathe bench for quite a while. It worked very well and was sturdy enough for the lathe (at 60 lbs).

Just don't underestimate the abyss. The lathe is often the cheapest part of this hobby. Once you get started you'll find that there is always something else you will want to add to feed your addiction.
    1,372 miles south of Steve Schlumpf, 525 miles west of that Burns fellow.

Never, under ANY circumstance, make the last cut!

Welcome!
    Bandsaw, dustcollector, mitersaw would be my 3 choices for power tools.
    My bench top is 2x8's laminated on edge from a construction company so I'm used to a rock solid bench. If I were to start from scratch I'd laminate 2 pcs of 3/4 inch MDF and cover it with hardboard.
    You can always do small things on a larger lathe, you can't do large things on a small lathe(generally speaking.)
    Height of the lathe spindle center should be bent elbow height plus or minus two inches depending on your comfort. I have my lathe 2" higher than elbow height or 46" for me.

John, the first piece of advice I can give you is to take all of the money out of your wallet, take a picture of it, and stick it up on the wall where you plan to put your lathe---because that is the last you will see of it!! You are planning to enter into the abyss and the vortex is strong--and expensive.

May I suggest that you take a look at a WoodTek midi-lathe for a starter lathe. It's a 6-speed and just the right size for learning to turn pens, stoppers, and small turnings. You will find, after a couple of months, that you'll be looking at larger lathes for larger things! (there goes your money again!).

For turning pens, you'll need a good set of tools, mandrels, bushings, pen kits with all the instructions, pen blanks, sandpaper, Scotchbrite pads, micromesh, CA glue, finishing supplies for whatever finish you decide on, a way to drill pen-blanks--usually on a drill press, a pen-blank vise, a pen press for putting them together, boxes or pouches to put the pens in, stopper blanks, stopper kits, .... you see where this is going??

There are others here who can give you even more advice and encouragement--I don't know where I'd be without the encouragement and support of the people on this forum. I do suggest finding a mentor or joining a turning club. It's a lot easier learning from a person than a book or a video.

Don't be afraid to ask questions and pick brains - that's part of what we are here for.

Welcome to the abyss, and good turning!

Nancy
    Last edited by Nancy Laird; 05-31-2007 at 10:13 AM. Reason: I can't spell this morning!!
    Nancy Laird
    Owner - D&N Specialties, Rio Rancho, New Mexico
    Woodworker, turner, laser engraver; RETIRED!
    Lasers - ULS M-20 (20W) & M-360 (40W), Corel X4 and X3
    SMC is user supported. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy Laird View Post
    I don't know where I'd be without the encouragement and support of the people on this forum.
    In better financial shape, perhaps?

Nancy, I liked your idea of taking a picture of your money. I wish I had done that! LOL!
    1,372 miles south of Steve Schlumpf, 525 miles west of that Burns fellow.

Never, under ANY circumstance, make the last cut!

Welcome John! sounds like the Vortex has sucked you in but good! Before responding let me ask some questions of you. I believe then I can give more acurate answers to you.
    1. Where do you live (climate)?
    2. Is this shop just for turning?
    3. How much of the garage will be dedicated?
    4. Do you have a desire to do Bowls and larger items?
    5. Can you post pics of the lathe?
    Success is the sum of Failure and Learning

John...

Although I'd count myself as being an intermediate/experienced woodworker with "flat stock," I, too, am a relatively new turner.

Here's been my experience: WOW...everybody is RIGHT the lathe is the cheapest part of of the deal!!!! I bought a Rikon 70-100 (12in. swing/16in. btw. centers) on sale at Woodcraft for $200. So far, I've probably spent 5X that on tools, chucks, and other lathe-related goodies.

So...if you can get a Craftsman starter lathe, plus some tools for $40, I'd do it. You can always sell it later if you want to move up to another lathe.

If you're going to get a bandsaw...I'd strongly recommend you spend a few extra $$ and get at least a 14"er. I have a 10" Delta that has served me well...but in cutting bowl blanks, etc., I sure would appreciate a bigger saw at this point.

Harbor Freight tools are good for starters....you've gotta learn to grind tools somehow. And you're much better off grinding away on cheap tools as you learn. Also...you'll need a decent grinder. I found that I had to replace my 6in. high-speed grinder with an 8in. slow-speed. See...I like to spend my $$ twice!!!

Good luck and enjoy the VORTEX! Taking pix of your $$ now is probably good advice. 'Cause if you try to keep it, it'll only turn GREEN!

Bottomline: The way to make a small fortune in woodturning.....is to start with a LARGE fortune.
    Phil

1. Where do you live (climate)? tulsa ok
    2. Is this shop just for turning? basically that is were i would like to focus my learning
    3. How much of the garage will be dedicated? 15 foot length of garage i only have about 2 feet of space to still qaulify it as a 2 car garage
    4. Do you have a desire to do Bowls and larger items? yes eventually. i already bought the craftsman and it will be delivered in 2 weeks. I don't have to keep it
    5. Can you post pics of the ...i saw one on e-bay just like it but I am not sure if i can tranfer the pics that are on that site.

Quote Originally Posted by Neal Addy View Post
    In better financial shape, perhaps?

Nancy, I liked your idea of taking a picture of your money. I wish I had done that! LOL!
    I filched that idea from Ken Fitzgerald--and if he had read this thread first, he would have said the same thing.

Nancy
    Nancy Laird

First off welcome to SMC. If money is a issue get the C-man. If you can swing it I definately would get the Jet mini or the Rikon midi. I think you would be money ahead in the long run. I have the Rikon midi and it has been a excellent lathe. I think in the long run you would be better off and you wouldn't have to make your bench 2 ft wide maybe only a 2 X 12 wide. My bench top for the Rikon is 2 layers of 3/4" plywood 12" wide. As far as height goes measure from the floor to your elbow. That is a general rule of thought. I made mine a inch or so higher so I wouldn't have to bend over. Harbour Freight has a set of tools for around $35 or you can get a set of tools from Penn State Industries for about $60. The tools there are cheaper and I have the $60 set and still use them today. They are good tools to start with. I would get at least a 14" bandsaw. I bought a Grizzly with the riser block so I could cut up to 12" deep for bowls. Those are just my thoughts.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Quote Originally Posted by John Nowack View Post
    1. Where do you live (climate)? Tulsa OK
    2. Is this shop just for turning? basically that is were i would like to focus my learning
    3. How much of the garage will be dedicated? 15 foot length of garage i only have about 2 feet of space to still qualify it as a 2 car garage
    4. Do you have a desire to do Bowls and larger items? yes eventually. i already bought the craftsman and it will be delivered in 2 weeks. I don't have to keep it
    5. Can you post pics of the ...i saw one on e-bay just like it but I am not sure if i can transfer the pics that are on that site.
    OK, here is my recommendations:
    1. If using sheet stock do not use anything but Plywood for your bench top. 3/4 inch is fine. The humidity in Tulsa while not like Houston, can get high at times and will tend to warp other products especially with heavy objects on them. Bracing can help but the other products retain the moisture and tend to swell over time which weakens them. I lived for eleven years in Oklahoma City and had that experience. I suggest using 4 X 4 stock for legs and framing. It is good and heavy and will be really solid. I had a 24 inch deep bench about 14 feet long when I started and have removed it to go with a narrower depth. If I were doing it I would build a separate stand for the lathe and put it in the center of the floor away from the wall. Double thickness top for the lathe stand would be a good idea. Be sure which ever way you decide to do it that you cut out the bench or stand top under the ways so that the chips can fall through. Otherwise cleaning is a killer. (I made that mistake)
    2. I'm glad you chose the craftsman to start and use your money for the other things you will need. There is no end to that list, believe me.
    3. I use just better than 1/2 of my two car and is is great for a Turning Shop. I will want more later but I'm quite satisfied with what I'm using now. This link will give you an idea: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=55500
    I think you have a good start. My personal preference for a big tool list would be in this order after the lathe:
    1. Grinder for Tool Sharpening
    2. Drill Press
    3. Chain Saw
    4. Buffing Setup
    5. Dust Collector
    6. Table Saw
    7. Miter Saw
    Hope this is of some help.
    Last edited by Christopher K. Hartley; 05-31-2007 at 12:10 PM.
    Success is the sum of Failure and Learning

Quote Originally Posted by Neal Addy View Post
    In better financial shape, perhaps? YES!!!! Definitely!!

But my advantage is that it was LOML's money that bought the first lathe!!!

Nancy
    Nancy Laird

Hi John,

Before you buy too much stuff get some background on turning by doing the following:

1. There is a Woodcraft store in Tulsa. They have books and classes on turning. Do yourself a favor and make use of both.

2. Go to the website for the American Assoc of Woodturners at woodturner.org. Look for the directory of turning clubs. I'm sure there is at least one in your area. This is another great source of info. Most clubs have demos, classes and mentors who will give one on one instruction. They probably also have a library of books and videos.

These instuctions will save you frustration and help you make more informed buying decisions.

Have fun!

Listen to Christopher, I was where you are about 4 months ago. I bought the Jet Mini and a nice starter tool set. Placed an order for pen blanks, mandrels, bushings etc,etc and spent more than the lathe and tools. I tried to skimp and not buy a drill press and had a dreadful time drilling pen blanks. Also went cheap on the grinder and bought a cheap wet wheel sharpening grinder from Menards.

I bought a small drill press and the next item will be a decent grinder. You will have difficulty if you don't have a sharp tool. I have learned to do an ok job on the grinder I have but it's a royal pain. I had a chain saw so I have been able to cut some bowl blanks but with a small lathe, I loose a lot of the swing since I don't have a bandsaw to cut them round on.

Also important: Safety Equipment. For pens, safety glasses would do and a dust mask or respirator. When you move up to bowls a full face mask is a must.

Just my opinions
    Determined to master the skew.....patience is a virtue