Thread: Article in AAW Magazine

Article in AAW Magazine

As many of you know I got a couple of articles published about penturning in the current issue of the AAW Journal, the American Woodturner.

While I encourage everybody to join the AAW and get their magazine, I realized that many people do not have that oportunity right now. I have asked the AAW for permission to post a PDF copy of that article on a website so that everybody could take a look at it. For the first time ever, I am told, they agreed!

I figured the best palce to post it would be on the website for the International Association of Penturners, which is a new site and has lots of space for something like this. If you would like to take a look, use the link below, then click on featured article.

Take care!

Scott Greaves.

http://www.penturners.org/forum/portal.asp

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

I have been wanting to read this since I heard it came out.

Noah

PS I think you can attatch the PDF right to your post just like a picture and people can get it from there.
    To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children; to earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends; to appreciate beauty, to find the best in others; to leave the world a little better; wheter by a healthy child, a garden patch or a redeemed social condition; to know even one life has breathed easeir because you have lived. This is the meaning of success.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Great as usual ...

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Greaves
    As many of you know I got a couple of articles published about penturning in the current issue of the AAW Journal, the American Woodturner.

Scott Greaves.
    I'd recommend this article for anyone, even if you don't turn pens. It's entertaining and informative. Very well done and kudo's to Scott!

Ron
    Thanks, Ron

See if this works for accessing the PDF directly:

http://www.penturners.org/content/aa...-36-41pens.pdf

I have to admit that I've never ever thought much about pen turning but it sure looks like fun and let's face it, the cost for exotic expensive materials (woods, plastics, whatever) is minimal for a 'lil ol' pen, right?

All those "cut-off" bins at the hardwood store have a plethora of cheap exotics!

Nice article.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla
    I have to admit that I've never ever thought much about pen turning but it sure looks like fun and let's face it, the cost for exotic expensive materials (woods, plastics, whatever) is minimal for a 'lil ol' pen, right?

All those "cut-off" bins at the hardwood store have a plethora of cheap exotics!
    Thanks Chris! The link worked just fine for me.

You have hit on one of the nicest things about penturning. When all you need is a pen blank, you can afford to use some of the most amazing woods!

That article also got us the cover of the magazine, so I'm going to try to post a PDF of the cover with this message. Thanks for the suggestion, Noah!

Scott.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Greaves
    That article also got us the cover of the magazine, so I'm going to try to post a PDF of the cover with this message. Thanks for the suggestion, Noah!

Scott.
    Scott,

I do not think that will work. For starters, you need to be able to strip a page out of the PDF file and you need full-blown Adobe to do that.

Second, it will still be a PDF and not a graphic file like a .jpg or.gif so it still won't post.

I did a screenshot of it for you and converted it to .jpg:

Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Scott, thanks to you and your post, I'm sure this new penturners site will now have a large influx of new viewers/members. This is just the kind of boost that a newly launched site needs. Best of luck to them.

rick
    p.s. - Read your article in AAW when it was published, great job!

Huntsville, AL (The Sun and Fun Capital of The South)
    Scott,

Great article - Thanks

</p>Now that you are famous "published" person I need to treat you with more respect .
    "If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high - but so are the rewards" - - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant
    Ken Salisbury Passed away on May 1st, 2008 and will forever be in our hearts.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Salisbury
    Now that you are famous "published" person I need to treat you with more respect .
    BULL!

Scott.

Thanks Scott. My Dad will eat this up. Makes me wish... just a teeny bit... that I was turning.

David

Scott,

Great article! I'm not much of a turner, but enjoyed it all the same. You guys sure turn out some cool pens.

Bob