Thread: jamieson hollowing system troubles

jamieson hollowing system troubles

I am having trouble with the laser pointer on my new system blinking off and on with the slightest vibration. Vary annoying I've tried new batteries and cleaning the contact points, neither worked. Are any of y'all having the same problem or know of a solution? I sent an e-mail to Lyle Jamieson but have no response as yet.
    Thanks for your help
    Brad McCollum
    Memphis Woodturning

Brad, the laser is touchy due to the way the holder needs to close the switch for you. Consider wiring around it and using an external power supply...I recently picked one of the latter up from Radio Shack to eliminate the batteries, etc., although I haven't had time to wire it up yet.

Unfortunately, the laser attachment is the one weak point of Lyle's system...the mount is chincy, hard to adjust and way too flexible/bouncy. It's the only part of the system I regret spending the money on.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    Brad, the laser is touchy due to the way the holder needs to close the switch for you. Consider wiring around it and using an external power supply...I recently picked one of the latter up from Radio Shack to eliminate the batteries, etc., although I haven't had time to wire it up yet.

Unfortunately, the laser attachment is the one weak point of Lyle's system...the mount is chincy, hard to adjust and way too flexible/bouncy. It's the only part of the system I regret spending the money on.
    I don't understand what you are telling Brad about wiring around the switch. I have the Jamieson laser system where the laser pointer is just the pen light looking contraption which is activated by the little push button switch. They supplied me with a very heavy duty little rubber band which is slipped over the push botton switch and keeps the laser light on (which is powered by two AAA batteries) until I move the rubber band. By the way, it is pretty chitzy. It is pretty much of a PITA to get the rubber band set to keep the switch on. Sometimes I use a clothes pin to accomplish the same thing a little easier.

In any event, the whole laser set up does vibrate a lot which takes a lot out of the accuracy of trying to turn thin walls. However, the vibration does not cause much of a problem with the light beam cutting in and out if the rubber band or clothes pin is set good.

OR, am I missing something in this thread.

Wolf

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kiessling
    I don't understand what you are telling Brad about wiring around the switch. I have the Jamieson laser system where the laser pointer is just the pen light looking contraption which is activated by the little push button switch. They supplied me with a very heavy duty little rubber band which is slipped over the push botton switch and keeps the laser light on (which is powered by two AAA batteries) until I move the rubber band. By the way, it is pretty chitzy. It is pretty much of a PITA to get the rubber band set to keep the switch on. Sometimes I use a clothes pin to accomplish the same thing a little easier.
    Yea...I was too obtuse on that. What I should have said was to fix the switch on "permanently" by just pushing it up in the holder housing (or using the little rubber band which did NOT come with mine...) and eliminate the batteries with an external power supply. The laser will use batteries up quickly normally, so by using the external transformer, you can both cut your cost over a reasonably short period of time and also make switching the thang off and on a lot easier. Not having to futz around with the switch on the pointer, itself, is also a nice thing about doing it this way. When I actually get this done, I'll post pics, but it may be a little while as I have some other priorities...like a DC system upgrade to deal with first!

'Hope this clarified things.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    Yea...I was too obtuse on that. What I should have said was to fix the switch on "permanently" by just pushing it up in the holder housing (or using the little rubber band which did NOT come with mine...) and eliminate the batteries with an external power supply. The laser will use batteries up quickly normally, so by using the external transformer, you can both cut your cost over a reasonably short period of time and also make switching the thang off and on a lot easier. Not having to futz around with the switch on the pointer, itself, is also a nice thing about doing it this way. When I actually get this done, I'll post pics, but it may be a little while as I have some other priorities...like a DC system upgrade to deal with first!

'Hope this clarified things.
    Okay, now I understand...I thought maybe you had some sort of a modified super laser or something.

I, for one, would be real interested in seeing whatever kind of lashup you come up with. Be sure to post it.

I just wish I had built my own laser system. The whole rest of my system is home made and I believe I could have built the laser for 25 bucks, tops. Heck, the laser light is 10 dollars, I believe, at HF. Oh well....