Thread: Creekers Weekend Accomplishments....

Creekers Weekend Accomplishments....

4 June 2007

Time sure flies when you're having fun.
    Seems like the older I get, the faster time gets away from me. Maybe I need to a "time speed regulator" so I have be off work more and while at work the time would "scream" by until I get home.

Ok...back down to earth now.

Friday after work, my 3 oldest kids and I went to cut and load up some free Sycamore that was cut down in a guys yard. Here's the results of what I've added to my turning stock supply.
    Mark Cothren and Joe Meazle also hauled off some of this tree and there was plenty to haul away....that's for sure.

Saturday was a full 13 hour day at the day job, home to eat dinner, practice my music and crash. I was beat from such a long day.

Sunday was church and bass playing.

Today? It's back in the shop to work on an in progress wine rack that a friend of mine is wanting made.

So what did YOU do this weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Got a lot of guff on the Turning Forum.

Seriously, had breakfast on Saturday with Creeker Mike Robertson and his wife (they are moving to Florida ), delivered 22 plaques to a customer, turned out a batch of name tags and two batches of business cards, got a lot of guff on the Turning Forum, helped LOML (only a little) build a cabinet for the Matchmaker, went to dinner last night, got a lot of guff on the Turning Forum, plunged into the vortex with both feet and started roughing out a bowl!!!!

Oh, did I mention that I got a lot of guff on the Turning Forum??

Happy Monday, everyone.

Nancy
    Nancy Laird
    Owner - D&N Specialties, Rio Rancho, New Mexico
    Woodworker, turner, laser engraver; RETIRED!
    Lasers - ULS M-20 (20W) & M-360 (40W), Corel X4 and X3
    SMC is user supported. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

Got the frame work for the south side of the multistation bench assembled and levelled. Found I didn't judge/determine the correct height for the windows at each end of the bench so that long wood would pass through properly. Designed a way around that so it would work. Cut out the 2X4 material for the next 3 bench dividers. The last 2 will be a different size since the floor goes up about an inch and a half or so across the north side of the shop, about 4' deep. (it was a car port originally and this is the area that was the storrage section of the carport.) See my thread on the Coolmeadow Shop Rehab for pictures.
    Hope everyone has a great week. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Had Fun at...

...the Yankee Woodturning Symposium in Connecticut. Great line-up of demonstrators and topics. The organizers did a good job.

Warning-gloat ahead!

I won the Jet Mini Lathe for completing the event evaluation form!
    Happy and Safe Turning, Don

Woodturners make the world go ROUND!

I finally finished a picture frame for my SIL. This task actually forced me to correctly set-up my tenoning jig to cut splines in the thin wood frame. I decided to buy the frame wood from Rockler awhile back because I was not done with my router table. I really do prefer to put frames together with biscuits or dowels for strength reasons, but this was something new and it did not take a huge amount of time.

I did actually spend a couple hours cleaning up the shop. It was a little out of hand from all of the work I did last week.

Friday evening and Saturday I got started on a long awaited master bath remodel by removing the old light/fan combo, installing a few new recessed light fixtures and a new light/fan combo, building the tunnel for a skylight that was already installed in the roof but not cut through, and turning a wierd tall opening between the shower area and the rest of the bath into an archway. All the drywall is hung and I've contacted someone to do the taping. Pretty shortly I'll be starting construction of a new vanity and a large linen/dirty clothes cabinet. Sunday was lawn mowing and an afternoon with my mom, wife, and daughter.

Saturday was my week for YMCA duty for swimming and karate, followed by lunch at Mickey D's. Not much time for anything else before it was time to get ready for a black-tie affair that Professor Dr. SWMBO and I had to attend that evening. Sunday, I got up very late and managed to mow the lawn before it started pouring cats and dogs...and then I paid the bills and other wise got prepared for some bid-ness things for the week. I was in the shop for about, oh...30 minutes in the late afternoon, starting to work on a parallel ripping jig for the slider.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Spent all day Saturday chainsawing a pile of Cherry logs into bowl blanks. Sunday I finish-turned three maple pieces and put a coat of finish on 'em. I got to play with my Monster HF rig on one of 'em. That is one nice tool.

Cool

--One of our basset hound's daughters finished her AKC Championship

--Our male got his second major (show worth three or more points-need two for AKC Championship)

--Our AKC Champion was best of Breed one out of two days -- keeps her in the top ten basset hounds in the country -- she may be as high as number six

No, I didn't get in any shop time.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

Started to work on my daughter's dresser (again), then got a rush order for a couple of cutting boards, for which I didn't have any of the wood surfaced. So that's what I did. They are ready to go out in the morning.

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Just Screamed in from 5 great days in Bullfrog Utah.
    Cruising on Lake Powell was Awesome.
    You got to see this place.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Don Bullock View Post
    --One of our basset hound's daughters finished her AKC Championship

--Our male got his second major (show worth three or more points-need two for AKC Championship)

--Our AKC Champion was best of Breed one out of two days -- keeps her in the top ten basset hounds in the country -- she may be as high as number six

No, I didn't get in any shop time.
    With a show weekend like that, shop time can wait!! Congrats!!! That's a great show weekend. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.