Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cyclone outside the shop, how to get pipes in the shop

Cyclone outside the shop, how to get pipes in the shop

ok, I just set up a 3hp Oneida super gorilla. I had to build a shed for it and now I am getting ready to install the PVC, just need to track it down. I am venting outside, I am in California, not worried about sucking hot/cold air out of the shop and when I work, the garage door is always open.

the cyclone has an 8" intake, I need to get through the wall of my shed and from the outside of my house(stucko) to the inside of my shop.

here are my questions

should I use mostly 8" or should 6" be ok?

what connectors should I use to go through the wall of my shed(watertight) and through the wall of my house(water tight)?

once I am in, I won't have a problem, I just wanna make sure the pipe creates a rainproof seal so I won't get water in the shed and house.

if you guys have any pics or sources for stuff, that would help a lot.
    once i am done, I'll post pics, but maybe I have time to show some tomorrow.
    also, what blast gates should I get.

I am so excited to get this thing running, it has a lot of power.

thanx guys
    Sascha

I went with 26ga Snaplock galvanized conduit rather than PVC primarily to control static electricity. I live in a dry climate and didn't want to chance a fire. Besides, I like the industrial look. My Woodtek has an 8" intake so that was what I started out with then reduced to 6" and finally to 4". I'm not quite finished yet, as you can see.

The DC is located in an attached utility room built for the unit. and I cut a hole in the adjoining wall to bring the duct in. Be sure to add return air vents otherwise you'll be wasting either heated or air-conditioned (depending on the time of year) air when you run the DC. You can see the two return air vents on the wall. I sized them with the advice of the Woodtek technician.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 5.jpg (93.1 KB, 149 views)
    • File Type: jpg 6.jpg (81.5 KB, 131 views)

ok, you have my attention. where did you get the pipe and fittings(other than Oneida) and how would you seal the outdoor hole in the wall.
    I don't need to bring the air back, I never heat or cool and I am not worried about fumes being pulled, the garage door is always open, even in winter.
    your installation looks very clean, I like it and acutally would consider it if it is easy to get.

I was thinking of bringing 8" in and reduce to 6 right before the machines and 4"if needed

oh, and did you ground the pipe with wire of sorts??
    Last edited by sascha gast; 06-03-2007 at 3:43 AM.
    Sascha

although I don't have mine outside I do have a gorilla. It is a 7" and I reduced it at the sorce

I ran 6 inch all the way and reduce it at the machine to what ever the machine requires.

Try your local mechanical HVAC for the spiral pipe. I got mine for $1.35 a foot and in 10 ft. lengths. The plastic hose is a little pricy though at about $10 a ft.
    If I were putting it through a hole in the wall I would tape one side of the wall and spray in the insulating foam so as it expands it would seal all cracks
    Reg
    Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius--and a lot of courage--to move in the opposite direction."

--Albert Einstein

foam..........now thats a good idea.
    but what the heck is a HVAC store, what would I google up.
    anybody know one in los angeles??

how would you cut the spiral pipe to length if needed??
    Sascha

HVAC stands for Heating Ventilating & Air Conditioning. Look in the phone book under mechanical contractors/suppliers.
    Kyle in K'zoo
    Screws are kinda like knots, if you can't use the right one, use lots of 'em.
    The greatest tragedy in life is the gruesome murder of a beautiful theory by a brutal gang of facts.

Looking For HAVC

Sascha, Yes do look in the Yellow Pages, In Burbank, and in San Fernando, multiple places that will help you.

For the 8" you will almost have to go with metal. It's hard enough to find the 6" PVC. Not even sure they make it in 8".
    For the outside wall, the foam is a good idea, but look at the direct vent add in fire places that vent out the wall instead of up a chimney. They have caps that slide over the pipe and against the wall. These can be caulked to seal out rain. (Does it ever rain in California? ) My guess is that 8" will be a normal diameter for this.

And Reg, why didn't you shove that yellow beast up further and have the inlit pipe a staight shot into the cyclone? You could have had any size barrel under it you wanted, or used a y and split to 2 barrels if need be. There would be no problem with a long run of pipe from the cyclone to the barrel, and if you used the clear flex, you could tell by looking if you were over full! Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

That foam-insulation-in-a-can stuff cannot take sunlight exposure. It dies in a couple of years.

I don't recommend you reduce from 8" until after the first or second branch off your main...that Gorilla is designed to support an 8" main. Oneida will do a design for you free of charge since you bought your cyclone from them...you don't need to source your duct from them, but at least that will give you a plan of action.

I also don't favor PVC, but largely because it offers few options for components and duct sizes, particularly in "odd" number dimensions. While it's easy to work with, it's more important, IMHO, to be able to provide the right size for drops and in many cases, 5" is ideal/4" too small.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

You should be able to seal up to the siding pretty easy with any number of methods. PVC exhaust for furnaces are often just stuck through and caulked well with silicone. If you have wood siding you could make a "block" that fit snugly against the pipe.

My Gorilla comes through a wall and I made a trim board that fits snug to the pipe. Something like that caulked well when put on and outside would work well outdoors.

My area is much smaller than LA (much much smaller ) and I had a difficult time finding heavy gauge pipe to use. I ended up purchasing from Oneida direct and the cost wasn't bad.

You will love that unit.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

Sascha,

I got most of my ducting from Woodworker Supply (www.woodworker.com) but they ran out of it for a while and I had to get some from Penn State Ind. (www.pennstateind.com). Woodworkers should be back in stock by now (I liked the finish a little better on theirs) so you should be able to order from either. Being metal pipe it is grounded throught the DC.

Be sure to specify at least 26ga ducting. I'm not sure HVAC duct is normally that thick. You don't want the duct to collapse.
    Last edited by Rick Levine; 06-03-2007 at 11:52 AM. Reason: Clarification

Hi Sasha,
    My DC shed is attached so water tight was not an issue but I did make "gaskets" cut out of 1/4" masonite, slid them over the pipe before hooking up, and sealing with caulk. More of trim or escutcheon but looks good and seals too. I suggest carrying your 8" as far as you can as your main line, then branch from it. I got my pipe(26ga. snaplock) and most fittings from an HVAC wholesaler. I saved a few $$$ but the fittings are all for pushing air, not pulling, so they are all "backwards". I would suggest doing a price comparison with Oneida or Penn State for DC type fittings. It is a lot less hassle than retrofitting and exchanging for the correct parts. Your new mantra will be "Time is Money". Good luck., John.

Spiral pipe is cool looking, but overkill($$$$) for this application.
    Last edited by John Bush; 06-03-2007 at 12:06 PM. Reason: Also,

Blog Entries
    Rule of thumb is stay as large as you can for as far as you can. The downside is more expense in ducting. However, you've bought a nice cyclone, ducting will cost X, why would you want to jeopardize your performance instead of paying X plus 15 - 20%. I wouldn't.

A lot of work goes into laying things out and getting them how you want them. Don't scrimp on one of your more permanent installations. If its a matter of money (it always is for me) be patient and save your pennies; then go for it.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by John Bush View Post
    Spiral pipe is cool looking, but overkill($$$$) for this application.
    Many folks have reported that locally manufactured/sourced spiral pipe is only a small cost uplift from 26 guage snap lock.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...