Thread: LV Cast Round Spokeshave

Blog Entries

LV Cast Round Spokeshave

I bought it because it appealed to me. The fit and finish is immaculate.

It is a quality spoke shave. It is my tool of choice for breaking the edges on a piece.

I normally don't care for round bottomed shaves, but this one will get translucent shavings on straight edges as well as curved edges.
    The balance on the tool is good.

It came sharp, requiring minimum of honing. The iron is PMV11.

I am pleased with it.
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 12-09-2013 at 9:12 AM. Reason: spelling

I wasn't in love with mine at first...I think I was using it for more difficult cuts than is intended (tight curves with a lot of endgrain). It has definitely grown on me though. I agree great for breaking corners or really for any kind of light shaping. Comfy to hold too.

For those tight end grain curves I ended up getting myself a couple of those wooden contour planes. I thought they were radiused but in turns out their toes are flat. I radiused the sole on the smaller one and now it a SWEET little almost but not quite cigar shave. Shears through the end grain of those tricky tight curves.
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...

Blog Entries
    I bought it because it appealed to me.
    That is also my reason for buying one.

Not often a new tool appeals to me enough to make a purchase.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I bought one and have used it a small amount. Seems to work well but I don't have enough experience to make a final opinion.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I really like mine. I have been using it to shape blades of turned wooden letter openers in my cobbled together shave pony. Works very well for final shaping after roughing with a wooden low angle shave.
    Happy and Safe Turning, Don

Woodturners make the world go ROUND!

I don't know much about spokeshaves but I bought this one. I found it easier to control than I was expecting. I don't really know a good shave from a bad one so take it for what it's worth. I think it is a fine lloking tool as well.
    Gary

Blog Entries
    I bought the set and love them. The concave is perfect for making paddle shafts. I find I use the round bottom one the most, which surprised me; I thought I would use the flat one more.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    I bought the set and love them. The concave is perfect for making paddle shafts. I find I use the round bottom one the most, which surprised me; I thought I would use the flat one more.
    You must be referring to the older set of spokeshaves that Lee Valley offers and not the new round bottom cast one. I don't think LV is offering anything but the round bottom one yet in the new cast design.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Blog Entries
    I'm sure I will be in for a flat sole shave when they release it.

I'm not sure why, because the round bottom does a great job on straight runs as well as curves.

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    I'm sure I will be in for a flat sole shave when they release it.

I'm not sure why, because the round bottom does a great job on straight runs as well as curves.
    I find a curved spokeshave to be a bit more finicky to work with than a flat spokeshave. You have to get the blade adjusted just right and position the spokeshave just so to keep from getting chatter. With a flat spokeshave you just have to worry about the blade adjustment. And on flat spokeshaves many people adjust the blade so that more is exposed on one side of the spokeshave than the other. So you can adjust where the wood is positioned on a flat spokeshave in order to get just the right amount of cut. After you work with one for a while the position of the spokeshave becomes automatic - one side for rough work and the other side for smoothing.

Mike

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    I find a curved spoke shave to be a bit more finicky to work with than a flat spoke shave.
    Mike
    I agree. I have six spoke shaves, eight if you count travishers. My goto shave is the Veritas flat spokes have. I've had it for several years. I like the ability to shim the iron to adjust the mouth opening.
    It doesn't chatter and leave translucent shavings. It works well cross grain. I've misplaced the shims that came with the spoke shave, I wonder if LV has replacements I can order?

I have the small wooden shaves that LV sells as well. I've used them in the past for certain conditions, but I find the new spoke shave replaced them.

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    I agree. I have six spoke shaves, eight if you count travishers. My goto shave is the Veritas flat spokes have. I've had it for several years. I like the ability to shim the iron to adjust the mouth opening.
    It doesn't chatter and leave translucent shavings. It works well cross grain. I've misplaced the shims that came with the spoke shave, I wonder if LV has replacements I can order?

I have the small wooden shaves that LV sells as well. I've used them in the past for certain conditions, but I find the new spoke shave replaced them.
    Hi Lowell -

Contact me at rlee@leevalley.com with you address, and I'll have a set of shims sent out...

Cheers -

Rob