Thread: Kitchen Cabinet Construction

Kitchen Cabinet Construction

I have built Kitchen cabinets in the past. I normally make the face frames using 1/2 lap joints, then glue and nail the face frames to the plywood sides. I will be building some in the near future and was curious to know how others do it.

Anybody use pocket hole jigs to assemble the face frames and attach them to the cabinets? If so, do you use glue?

Any other options?

Thanks.

I use pocket holes (Kreg) screws to assemble the face frames and also install them to the box. I use glue...but really don't think ya need it. I attach the frames where the screws won't be seen...at top and bottom behind the frame...in the draw pockets, etc. Everytime I do something I seem to find another way or use for poket holes...one of the best tools I own.
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

I did the same as Glenn.

Hi Lou, Glenn and Larry are right on. I cut pockets all the way around the outside of all cabinets. On the bottom of the cabs I install a 1/4" plywood skin finished to match the cab, this covers up the pocket holes,the end grain from the plywood side and any gaps between adjacent cabs. On the sides that show I always cover with a finished end panel to match the doors. The result is a clean cabinet with no visible fasteners or nail holes to putty.

The last couple projects I used pocket holes on the sides to attach the frames and just glue and clamps for the visible edges. One in shallow dadoes for alignment and the other just clamped on, a few I used small biscuits for alignment then clamps.

This one I am finishing (today or tomorrow I hope) has pocket holes on the end panels and I am using a finish skin of 1/2" ply with a false door and drawer front.

For the face frame pocket screws and glue are plenty strong and you can go right to sanding. Remember the frame is glued to the carcass nearly all the way around so it can't really go anywhere.

You may be able to see part of the hole on the uppers, if you stick your head on the countertop, while laying upside down, against the wall. I don't bother changing what I do on uppers.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"