Thread: Rockwell Delta 34-395 ("12-14") vs Delta / Invicta RT40 Industrial Table Saws

Rockwell Delta 34-395 ("12-14") vs Delta / Invicta RT40 Industrial Table Saws

I'm a professional woodworking and going to invest quite a bit of time in building my dream cabinet saw setup. So I'm selling my beloved Unisaw for a larger capacity saw that has virtually unlimited HP. My shop does a lot of live edge furniture and we frequently cut 2-3" thick stock material.

So I appreciate older vintage equipment especially the good old fashion stuff built in the USA. I know the RT40 is a Brazilian made saw (it is a rebranded Invicta) and this distinction really doesn't matter. Most important is features and accuracy. The RT40 weighs about 1400 lbs vs 950 lbs for the 12-14.

I can't find any information on pro's / con's of a RT-40 vs an older vintage 34-395. The RT-40 was a replacement to the 34-395 (12-14). I like the fact that he 34-395 has interchangeable arbors. Not sure if the RT40 offers this but regardless a 1" arbor is pretty standard anyway. Both come with 3PH 7.5 HP motors.

Is anyone familiar with both saws? Any reason why you would select one over the other assuming same price point? I can get both for around $1000-1500. In fact, I found a 34-395 for $1100. It is a 1974 in very good condition and no rust whatsoever. I'm 40 and expect this entire setup (once fully complete) to be a lifetime keeper.
    Devin Ginther
    Dripping Springs, TX 78620
    Refined Elements LLC, Owner
    TX Urban Sawmill LLC, Owner

RT40 hands down over the 12/14. 3x the saw.

Thanks for the reply. That's a very bold statement. So would you mind supporting this claim? What makes it 3 times better? Do you have hands-on experience with both saws?

Looking for real-life "data" to better understand why. Too many people on the internet have opinions without any real-life experiences with specific products of discussion. I assume you've used both. Please do give us supporting details.

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy Warner View Post
    RT40 hands down over the 12/14. 3x the saw.
    Devin Ginther
    Dripping Springs, TX 78620
    Refined Elements LLC, Owner
    TX Urban Sawmill LLC, Owner

Quote Originally Posted by Devin Ginther View Post
    Thanks for the reply. That's a very bold statement. So would you mind supporting this claim? What makes it 3 times better? Do you have hands-on experience with both saws?

Looking for real-life "data" to better understand why. Too many people on the internet have opinions without any real-life experiences with specific products of discussion. I assume you've used both. Please do give us supporting details.
    I have owned numerous Invictas. They are built like tanks. The planers, shapers and saws.

The 12/14 is just an oversized unisaw. The rt40 is a heavy duty saw.

Invictas were well designed and well built machines, simple with few frills to keep costs down.

Invicta was started by a bunch of transplanted German engineers.

I have a '60s-'70s era 12/14, and a relatively late model Invicta 12" jointer. I love the 12/14 table saw, but yeah, it's really just a big overgrown Unisaw. The Invicta jointer is a really serious piece of cast iron machinery and I imagine their table saws would be, too. If you're going to be cutting large slabs I would think the additional weight of the Invicta would be an asset.

The only downside of the Invicta would be parts. There are a ton of old 12/14" saws out there and used parts are relatively easy to get. I don't think Invicta parts are nearly as common.