Page 11 of 26 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: RESOLVED: I was trying to avoid posting this - General jointer damaged by ???

As the story unfolds I think opinions will/can change, I'm glad we're still discussing this as its become a learning curve for me anyway, my experiences with shipping evidently differ from others and in the future I'll be a bit more aware of possibilities.

Things I've picked up are, General seems to be trying to resolve the issue as fair as they can, Redmond maybe not.
    Contrary to what I first thought, Gary did what he was advised to and it went sour, not his fault imho and I think he has a reason to be unhappy.
    I'd think at this point Redmond or General (not sure who's at fault in the shipping deal, but suspect Redmond) should be doing all they can to rectify the problem, and a set of knife's or ? maybe should be sent to improve customer relations.
    Either way, good luck Gary and let us know how it goes.

Just a thought fwiw
    Al
    Remember our vets, they need our help, just like they helped us.

I'm sure General will do all they can to make the situation right at this point. Redmond seems to have earned a black eye but given the number of posts that give a good opinion of them there might be part of the story still missing at this point. Why would an otherwise reputable company suddenly go so wrong to satisfy one particular customer?

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Wintle View Post
    I'm sure General will do all they can to make the situation right at this point. Redmond seems to have earned a black eye but given the number of posts that give a good opinion of them there might be part of the story still missing at this point. Why would an otherwise reputable company suddenly go so wrong to satisfy one particular customer?

I've seen this question asked in other situations similar to this one. Here's the way I see it. Even the worst company doesn't mistreat every customer. Probably not even most. They must treat some customers very well. And even the best company doesn't please everyone every single time. They screw up from time to time too. But the best companies don't let situations like this one go so far. It's not like Gary posted to this forum as soon as he saw that the jointer was junk. He worked to resolve the problem with Redmond and Redmond failed on more than one occasion to fix it right. It seems obvious to me that Redmond isn't the best of the companies to do business or they would know how to handle the serious screw ups better. It's not like they misunderstood the situation. They were apparently well aware of the situation and chose to do what they could to save money instead of to do what they could to keep the customer happy.

Telling the forum that, "They have always treated me right" is like when a neighbor of the murderer tells the news reporter, "He was always really nice to me and his other neighbors." Well, then they can't possibly be guilty if they've always been nice before! If someone doesn't mind that a company does this sort of thing then that's their right and they can keep doing business with them. Other people realize that it might just be a matter of time before they screw up their order and they don't get treated right. Or, you have to just assume that the person complaining is lying and that the company is always first rate. Your choice.

I had the worst customer service experience in my life with Jointech. I never lost my temper, I was patient, polite, and cooperative with them. I dealt with everyone right up to the owner of the company. Actually, about 90% of my interaction was with the owner. I finally just gave up after I realized that the only explanation was that he had some sort of mental problem. I couldn't come up with any other reason why he couldn't comprehend the problem and a simple solution. I have since then posted about the situation on several different forums and a few people raved about how great they were treated by Jointech. But I received about a dozen public and private replies from people who had similar experiences. How can one company treat some people so well and others so badly? I dunno but it happens. It wasn't just an, "Oops" situation. I'm sure this has happened with other respected companies besides just Jointech and Redmond. But companies that I've dealt with like Infinity, Lee Valley, Woodcraft, Sunhill, Hartville Tool, and especially EZ Smart don't have long drawn out stories of bad customer service because they handle the problems that are bound to occur correctly. If anyone is interested in the details of the Jointech fiasco, PM me and I'll send you a link to my Jointech Smart Miter review.

Bruce

Gary you are owed a jointer that works as advertised.

You did not pay for a broken model.

Redmond's last requirement stating you must post a favorabel comment is offensive.

However, I am having a hard time understanding why you were concerned about rust forming on the jointer top. I live in the same area ( you should see where my MM16 resides!).

Now, with that said, I thoroughly understand the concept of SWMBO's car residing in the garage and not outside. DAMHIKT!

It had to take a lot of effort to get the jointer down in the basement.

I truly hope you receive satisfaction.

Joe

The jointer has been shipped. I just need to get into the tracking info to determine the ETA - email said about 4 business days, but with customs, that could be somewhat variable.
    Where did I put that tape measure...

So that means potentially the jointer should arrive at your house on Friday. Hope this one gets there in one piece!
    Last edited by Chuck Wintle; 06-19-2007 at 12:55 PM. Reason: spelling and grammer

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Wintle View Post
    So that means potentially the jointer should arrive at your house on Friday. Hope this one gets there in one piece!
    No, he wants this one to arrive in MORE than one piece...that was the problem the first time around....
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    No, he wants this one to arrive in MORE than one piece...that was the problem the first time around....
    Well, it was shipped assembled, in a custom made crate that will support the tables. Based on how General makes their tools, I would assume the crate will be built like a tank.

Well the crate may be built like a tank but supporting a jointer like that is a problem. When the crate slams on the deck (it will, it's being shipped) somewhere, the jointer tables and head assembly will accelerate down into the cabinet (sheet metal) and can tweek that cabinet/motor assembly. If they put braces under the infeed or outfeed tables then those braces can really stress the tables if the base pallet flexes at all (and they do). You've seen what happens when you ship an assembled jointer that has a cast top sitting on a sheet metal cabinet. Separating the top from the cabinet base is almost always a good idea and is how most jointers of this type are shipped, and not supporting the table ends is a good idea. Good luck.

They asked for a favorable posting because they have reshipped a new jointer and want to make sure its recognized. That is not offensive. They didnt ask Gary to delete his post and act like it didnt happen.

Hope the new one works for ya.

Moving the jointer to the garage tomorrow. The replacement is supposed to arrive Friday. The shipping company told me the gross weight is 3000 lbs? Thats either a typo or they made a battleship of a crate.

I know i missed it in one of the previous posts, but what does this jointer weigh?

13. Pending Final Inspection

When I received my 8" PM jointer, the crate was damaged at one end. I noted it to the driver and he instructed me to place a note where I sign for it stating, "Pending Final Inspection" That way you are signing off sufficiently for the driver to get back on the road, but yet retain your rights for a claim. Anyone have any experience at that type of message, and in your opinion is it binding? Any lawyers amongst us?
    My jointer turned out to be fine as far as the shipping was concerned, so I moved it downstairs. Or should I say I slid it down the stairs with some help from a friend. Once I got it downstairs, and took the rest of the paper wrapper I noticed their was rust on the surface only in spots. It was as if they had accidentally splattered the table with water before coating it with cosmolene. Amazon made good on it, by selling me a PM 200 dollar movable base for the PM66 saw for a very generous discount, so I agreed. Initially I said, I want another one, and they agreed to ship it. I was dreading trying to get it back up the stairs. Then they called me then next day to make an adjustment, and that is what we worked out. I took a random orbit sander to the top, using ever finer grades of paper, and it came out beautiful. Amazon stands behind their stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Mioux View Post
    I know i missed it in one of the previous posts, but what does this jointer weigh?
    About 500 lbs. Thus the typo/battleship comment.

It just keeps getting better

Apparently, the shipper left the last depot headed to STL with all the appropriate paper work, but with one crate missing. Mine.

I'm waiting to hear back from them to find out where the crate is.

Unbelieveable.

Oh and the crate doesn't weigh 3000 lbs, that was a "typo in the system".