Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: RESOLVED: I was trying to avoid posting this - General jointer damaged by ???

Per the comments regarding shipment of the jointer intact - I agree. My first jointer was shipped disassembled. I just called General and they do ship them dissasembled. They also told me they assemble the jointer in their plant and then grind the tables while they're on the cabinet to insure they will be parallel. Make me wonder if I'll be able to get mine parallel if I get a replacement outfeed table.

I was told today Redmond will order a new outfeed table and gibs from General and ship them to me. If I get anything from the shipping company, they'll use it to cover it. If not, there will be no cost to me.

I'm going to go home tonight and see if I can adjust the motor assembly and be sure the pulleys are aligned.

Redmond told me they will not replace the jointer, but will get me the replace the parts I need repair it.

If I can resolve the motor issue, eliminate the vibration and can get the new outfeed table installed and parallel to the infeed table, I'll be satisfied (note I didn't say happy).

Stay tuned...
    Last edited by Gary Herrmann; 06-12-2007 at 1:54 PM.
    Where did I put that tape measure...

This is crazy! With all of the trouble you've gone through and still have to look forward to, you may still end up with a jointer that will never be quite right. And a jointer that isn't quite right is worthless. And by that point it will be even harder to get a refund. Regardless of what Redmond says about a refund, you should demand one and get started with your credit card company dispute. You have way more patience and tolerance than most people would on this problem and I have the feeling it's going to end up biting you in the . If the damage was only cosmetic I can see taking their approach but in this case, it's the very heart of the machine that's damaged, and in ways that are not completely known.

I bought an 8" jointer from Sunhill a few years ago. They shipped the 6" even though the paper work was correct. It wasn't obvious to me until I started to unpack it. They shipped out the correct jointer the same day I complained before I even had the old one packed up. They paid for the old jointer to be shipped back of course and gave me a couple of sets of knives for my trouble. There was some slight damage to the jointer base. I determined that I could probably bend it straight and live with the damaged paint. They said if I couldn't that they would pay to ship the old base back and ship me a new one immediately. I didn't want to bother packing the old one up and waiting around for another pick up and delivery. It was easy to fix and the cosmetic damage is hidden by the super heavy duty mobile base I made for it. Upon set up I discovered that the Fence was twisted. They didn't hesitate to send me out a new one and it also shipped the same day. They didn't ask for the old fence to be returned. They never had any response other than, "I'm very sorry, what can we do to make you happy?" Somewhere during this drawn out transaction they also sent me a free mobile base that they sell for about $80 or so. It's very beefy but I haven't used it because I went with the one I built myself. This is the attitude that Redmond should have with you. They should be asking you what they can do to make you happy. I have no doubt that if at any time I would've asked Sunhill for a complete refund they would've sent out the truck and I would've seen the refund on my credit card. Redmond is absolutely a company I'll never be doing business with at all.

Bruce

Blog Entries
    If it wasn't packaged in original packaging I would tell them that you ordered a new product and received a product that had been re-packaged. This is the reason this entire problem exists. Therefor the problem was caused by the improper re-packaging of the tool. And the possibility of this being a used tool exists which opens a whole other situation of legal liability. If they don't make it good I'd issue a charge back based on the tool being damaged due to packaging not being origonal and possibly used. I wish you the best of luck.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

Right now it looks like all I'll get is a replacement outfeed table and gibs. I did get the tool on sale since it was a display. Because of this when I mentioned replacing the infeed and outfeed tables, the salesman said he couldn't do that and I should just return it.

Unfortunately, I've already bought a mobile base and a shelix head for the joniter, so that doesn't seem like a realistic option - unless I want to eat the $ for them, which I certainly don't.

What a nightmare ...... I am sorry that this happened to you.

I own 5 Generals, including a 480 jointer. Did you speak with Christian at General, they know what they are doing there...they have excellent customer service.
    Take care,
    Jim

6. "Rejection, failure, anxiety, depression, shame, is there any hope". Are these the emotions that you are feeling yet? This is from a link on their website, maybe they are trying to tell you something before you even order.

Gary, I would look into an exchange on the shelix head, one to fit the jointer that you order from another company, after returning the General to Redmond. Your situation is quite absurd. You have dealt with far more than ever should have been expected. As for the shipping company's argument, I would go out on a limb and say that at least 90 percent of people don't check their deliveries while in the presence of the delivery driver. But I bet I will in the future. They will not get any paperwork signed until I inspect the shipment with a fine tooth comb. Which means their driver won't be able to leave for at least three hours. I have never inspected upon delivery, and if a problem was discovered the company immdiately took care of the problem without any HASSLE.

You said you ordered a floor model at a reduced price, that's Okay. But you would not have ordered the machine had you known that it would not be prepared for shipment properly, and/or would have been damaged upon arrival. I would demand a refund and deal with exchanges on the other items. As far as Redmond goes, I am not sure that I would ever order from them. Major Black Eye, and shame on them. Trust me, they are not doing you any favors. Get with the CC company and send the necessary paperwork, and get an reverse payback. Good Luck, Really, Good Luck, Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Herrmann View Post
    Right now it looks like all I'll get is a replacement outfeed table and gibs. I did get the tool on sale since it was a display. Because of this when I mentioned replacing the infeed and outfeed tables, the salesman said he couldn't do that and I should just return it.

Unfortunately, I've already bought a mobile base and a shelix head for the joniter, so that doesn't seem like a realistic option - unless I want to eat the $ for them, which I certainly don't.
    I would return the tool and deal with another company. Once you get the runaround to replace a tool with an obvious defect then that company has told you they have no intention of standing behind their product. If they realized how many woodworkers read this forum they might think otherwise.

It sounds like the machine is very seriously damaged, possibly in ways you can't detect. Who knows what kind of stress fractures or cracks have been caused which cause future problems. With a Jointer, even two people picking it up by the ends of the beds to move it can cause damage.

I would tell them that you don't feel safe operating the machine and that based on the level of damage and possible undetectable dammage that was caused by improper packaging on their part that the machine will never deliver the tolerances and accuracy you paid for and that you want to return it, or have it sent to General for a factory rebuild.

This is the problem as I see it. I have a damaged jointer I got on sale. As a result of that sale, the seller appears to be reluctant to go beyond a certain level of effort and expense. The seller continues to believe the shipper damaged it and didn't even respond to my questions about why it was shipped already assembled.

The jointer came with no power plug, so I bought the plug and cord and wired it.
    I bought a Shelix head - which I may be able to return.
    I bought a mobile base which is now used, which I probably can't return.
    I will have to pay movers to get it out of my shop (bad back, I am not carrying that thing up stairs no matter how many people help me).
    I will have to buy materials to crate it and spend time crating it (or I just don't crate it and let them come get it).

Regardless, for me to return it, I'll have potentially between $200 and $300 in expenses/losses. I assume they'll pay for return shipping, but I don't know.

I'd like to make this work out because I like General tools, and because of all the work involved in returning it. Maybe this is foolish of me. I'm still thinking about the whole thing.

My credit card account has been credited in the amount of the purchase. I assume because we are in the process of dispute.

I emailed General to find out if they offer factory rebuilds - that seems like a valid possibility if available. Maybe I'll also file a BBB claim.

I've invested so much effort in this farce that it bothers me to just give up and return it. I probably am being foolish.

You may never get satisfaction at this stage. I would return it and also, as a previous poster noted, there may be other hidden damage to the machine.

Can't you get the same model from another company (so you can use the Shelix)? I realize it may not be on sale, but common, you're risking all the bucks you've already got into it.

BTW, you have a limited amount of time to dispute a charge. How do you know they aren't running the clock down on you? At the very least file a dispute now and tell Redmond that you'll cancel once they make it right. You can do that.

Gary,

I'm not impressed with Redmonds response and wont be buying anything from them in the future. Good luck with getting your jointer fixed.

~mark

Let's see...It's 7:35 p.m CDT on Tuesday and so far this has generated 56 replies and had 3640 viewings. Do you think Redmond has ANY idea how much they are being hurt by this? And the longer it drags on the worse it gets.

Cut your losses & let them deal with it. If you got your credit card credited & are not required to to pay I'd give the retailer a time limit to settle with the shipper & get it out of your basement. Tell them you will not be their store house & that they need to package it & remove it by X date or you'll scrap it.

I would never accept the half way offer they are trying to give you when you have no idea what else may be damaged all because it wasn't disassembled & packaged properly.

Do they know that you know that it wasn't disassembled & packaged properly?

These are just my thoughts.
    I usually find it much easier to be wrong once in while than to try to be perfect.

My web page has a pop up. It is a free site, just close the pop up on the right side of the screen

Ok, I'm done.

I just sent this to the guy at Redmond. I can't even get the jointer to run reliably without vibrating all over the place. After 3 hours down there, I've hit my limit. They can replace it or come get it. Here's the latest in this farce:

XXXX, I spent 3 hours downstairs working on that jointer tonight.

The motor housing the motor rests on appears to be bent. I cannot get the pulleys to align and be parallel, so the jointer vibrates terribly or won't start depending on how I adjust the pulleys or the motor mount. One of the large eye bolts used to secure and balance the motor to the cabinet is missing. Several nuts and washers for other parts were also missing.

This jointer is severely damaged and dangerous. I will not have it in my shop. Once again, I am requesting a replacement General 480 jointer.

I contacted General and the way this jointer was shipped to me is not the way jointers are shipped from the factory. General (as well as Powermatic the maker of my first jointer) ships jointers in two separate crates - the cabinet and motor are separated from the tables to avoid damage and breakage.

After ordering the jointer from you, I also ordered an HTC mobile base which is now used and unreturnable. I also ordered a shelix cutterhead for the jointer which I hope I can still return. I paid $150 to have movers carry the jointer down to the basement for me. I paid $25 for a 220v plug and power cord.

I have invested a substantial amount of my money over and above what I paid for this damaged jointer that was not disassembled and crated per General's own shipping policy. Floor model or not, it was damaged due to the fact it wasn't packaged correctly in the first place.

Rich, I just want what I paid for. A high quality jointer. Yes I got it on sale, but Redmond set the price, not me. I was told that I bought a new, undamaged jointer. The jointer in my shop is unusable. I am requesting a replacement for the third time.

To remove this jointer from my shop will require another $150 charge for the movers. I have a bad back. There is no way I am carrying that thing up the stairs. I do not have the crate any longer. If Redmond wants the jointer, I will need funds for crating it. I will not pay for shipping this jointer. I purchased it in good faith and with a timely payment and what I got is a damaged, dangerous tool.

I have taken the following steps:
    I have contacted General to get their recommendations for repair/replacement.
    I have contacted my credit card company to create a dispute.
    I have contacted the BBB.

I am not trying to be a jerk or unduly harsh. I think I have been very patient, but after tonight, my patience has run out. Redmond has the opportunity to do the right thing and provide me what I was told I purchased.

If you won't replace it, please work something out with Old Dominion to come to my house and get it out of my basement. I have had my credit card company establish a dispute against Redmond Machinery. Payment has been stopped, or at least my account has been credited. Either way, I am not losing any more money or time on this jointer.

Regards,

Gary Herrmann