Page 5 of 26 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: RESOLVED: I was trying to avoid posting this - General jointer damaged by ???

Sorry to hear about your problem. I had a similar problem with a table saw I ordered from amazon, but the outcome was different. I ordered a delta x5 unisaw and it arrived this past friday in a crushed box. I opened the box and inspected the saw and everything looked fine. However later I found that the trunnion has snapped and the motor was lying on the bottom of the saw. I emailed amazon about the problem and one day later they shipped a new one. It is scheduled to arrive next week.

I guess it does matter where you buy your stuff.

I hope everything works out

john

Bravo

Bravo Gary. Even if they sent you all the parts you would then have to basically "build" the stupid thing, get everything aligned, etc. and still not be sure that it was right. That jointer will be an albatross around your neck should you keep it.

It bites to have to eat what you spent on the ancillary costs, but it will be better than keeping it, hating it, and regretting it.

Try to find another General or similar jointer that is compatible w/ the spiral head and maybe even the mobile base. If not, sell for a small loss or try to trade for what you need.

And lastly, stick to your guns on making them pay for crating and shipping. Tell the CC company all of these extenuating circumstances (costs) and you'll likely have a full refund and it will be incumbent upon Redmond to retrieve that piece o' scat.

horrible..

What a horrible experience. I'll never order from Redmond, since they failed to instantly ship you a factory-packaged replacement jointer. They should SEND someone to repair this one, if they think repair is the answer.

I hope you somehow end up with a great jointer, at no additional cost.

Good luck,
    Dave

Your doing the right thing. The jointer is toast, and will never be anywhere near the factory standards it was built too, let alone be safe.

You might be able to sell the mobile base localy on Craigslist and get a decent price for it to because of its condition (50-75%)

Very informative thread with helpful info about "working the system" we all need to know.

I'm not familiar with Redmond Machinery, is this Wm. J. Redmond & Son, Inc. in Atlanta, GA?

Larry

Signing for deliveries

Quote Originally Posted by Scot wolf View Post
    Sounds like you're moving in the right direction. For future purchases that are shipped common carrier remember to do the following. ALWAYS write on the ticket that you sign " ...... possible concealed damage". You will ALWAYS find a scrape,cut,scuff,ding, gouge, ect on the crate. So you write on the ticket "crate gouged (or whatever) possible concealed damage". No matter how minor just write it on the ticket!
    Scott,
    Whenever I take receipt of any delivery, sign for any work done on my car after an accident, my belongings from Australia via the movers, postal deliveries... anything that needs to be inspected in detail, I always write next to my name "SUBJECT TO INSPECTION" or "FOR RECORD PURPOSES ONLY". This offers me protection against this type of thing in English law. Is it different in the US? If not then I would suggest to anyone that this be their normal practice. As you note any external damage should also be noted e.g. the crushed box from Amazon.uk that contained a vinyl LP. Did I always do this? No- just learnt the hard way.
    Gary - I didn't see if you had informed the seller of these posts (or did I miss it). If not then do so and see what the response is. May want to point out to him that a lot of people here visit multiple forums and it's 'a small world' ... 'easier to lose a reputation' etcetra. Anyway good luck.

7. Please contact me

Mr. Herrmann,
    My name is Norm Frampton and I look after sales and marketing here at General and General International. I have personally just become aware of this unfortunate situation.
    Please call me direct at 1-888-949-1161 ext#222 - I'd like to speak with you to discuss possible ways that we could be of assistance in working with your distributor to resolve this for you and get you up and running.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Irvine View Post
    I always write next to my name "SUBJECT TO INSPECTION" or "FOR RECORD PURPOSES ONLY". This offers me protection against this type of thing in English law. Is it different in the US? .
    Geoff, Each freight company here in the US has its own rules for what can be "acceptable" on a bill of lading. Yellow Freight and the now defunked Consolidated Freight would not let you write "SJI" on any bill of lading. If you wanted to write it they would take the freight back to their terminal without a signature from the consignee. Then the shipper would be called by the freight company to decide what to do with the freight in question...

Almost 5000 views, I think their jerking around of a formerly good customer will lose them 100 times the cost of that jointer in lost sales to people that read this board. I know alot of people research companys like that before purchasing big ticket items and this thread will be on here for a long time. They won`t get a dime of my money!

I think it's interesting that it took up to 67 posts before anyone from General responded to Gary--but I also think that it's a plus that Mr. Frampton posted his direct telephone number for Gary to call him. I'd bet we see a positive resolution of this matter before too many more hours have passed. I hope Gary has gotten this message.

Ahhh, the power of SMC!!!!

Nancy
    Nancy Laird
    Owner - D&N Specialties, Rio Rancho, New Mexico
    Woodworker, turner, laser engraver; RETIRED!
    Lasers - ULS M-20 (20W) & M-360 (40W), Corel X4 and X3
    SMC is user supported. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy Laird View Post
    I think it's interesting that it took up to 67 posts before anyone from General responded to Gary--but I also think that it's a plus that Mr. Frampton posted his direct telephone number for Gary to call him. I'd bet we see a positive resolution of this matter before too many more hours have passed. I hope Gary has gotten this message.

Ahhh, the power of SMC!!!!

Nancy
    I don't think there's any problem at all with it taking 67 posts for General to respond. Do you expect them to monitor all of the WW forums looking for ways to help? On the contrary, I think it's fantastic that Mr. Frampton made his first post to SMC such a helpful and encouraging post. I see no way what so ever to find fault with anyone other than Redmond in this thread. Even the freight company seems to be innocent in this case. Thank you Mr. Frampton and this kind of response will make me look at General in the future. Oh, and say, "Hi" to Peter for me!

Bruce

Nancy and others, I applaud Mr Frampton for stepping in here, especially when it doesn't sound like it is his company's problem. Note that this is his first post, and just joined SMC this month. My bet is that he joined to be able to try to lend a hand concerning this particular situataion. That is a good representative for a manufacturing company. No, I don't own any GI equipment, so this is not me backslapping something I already believe in. I'm with Nancy though, I can see something being worked out pretty quick. I hope Redmond steps up and is part of the solution, though. They NEED to be part of the solution. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Quote Originally Posted by Norm Frampton View Post
    Mr. Herrmann,
    My name is Norm Frampton and I look after sales and marketing here at General and General International. I have personally just become aware of this unfortunate situation.
    Please call me direct at 1-888-949-1161 ext#222 - I'd like to speak with you to discuss possible ways that we could be of assistance in working with your distributor to resolve this for you and get you up and running.
    Thankyou for posting this. General may save some purchases by helping Gary. We are a pretty tight knit group and there are plenty of people making tools. General on this board a standard by which many other tools are measured. This reinforces those claims of quality and customer satisfaction. Now if we can get Redmond to help out that would be even better.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

The collective power of SMC!! There has been note of this problem on two other wood forums I visit. Passed on by other SMC members. Thus, litterly thousands are now familar with the problem. Although the problem is with Redmond, it is giving General a black eye also. Thus when they became aware of it from other forums, it is good pr for them to respond."the right thing to do." Happy customers sell equipment!!

One great thing about SMC, EVERYONE has been civil with their responses offering advice and support. Apparently from the less than civil responses on other the other forum, this is not an isolated incident at Redmond.

I can't imagine what Redmond will be able to do at this point to fix the damage they've done to their reputation. If they stick to their guns, their dead. Even if they decide they've taken enough beating and step up to the plate, they're still in bad shape. You shouldn't have to work this hard and talk to this many people just to get a company to do the right thing. Obviously they don't get all of their business from WW forums but there's no doubt that they get some of it from WW forums. Well, at least they used to get some of their business from WW forums.

Bruce