Page 7 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: RESOLVED: I was trying to avoid posting this - General jointer damaged by ???

I don't think Old Dominion is blameless in this; my guess is it got slammed down or dropped when being moved, resulting in both the broken iron, shifted motor, etc. The crate wouldn't show any real damage.

But the packing appears to have been inadequate on the part of Redmond as well. The two of them should have hashed that out between them and Redmond should have done what was needed to source a replacement to get Gary out of the middle of it.

I like the proselytizing Redmond does on their site. Perhaps they need to go back and re-learn the Golden Rule.

Ok want to see a recent delivery from Old Dominion Freight on a Recumbant Exercise bike that cost $4,861.15. Now this item was dropped shipped from a third party vendor in Michigan and the trucking company in Michigan sub out the cross county ride to Old Dominon as 90% of trucking companies do. These pics were taken minutes after I lifted the item off the trailer.

Yup it happens on a daily basis were I work:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Miller View Post
    Ok want to see a recent delivery from Old Dominion Freight on a Recumbant Exercise bike that cost $4,861.15. Now this item was dropped shipped from a third party vendor in Michigan and the trucking company in Michigan sub out the cross county ride to Old Dominon as 90% of trucking companies do. These pics were taken minutes after I lifted the item off the trailer.

Yup it happens on a daily basis were I work:
    THAT'S how it was shipped?????? Yikes. I thought moving companies who "cater" to the military were bad.

Nancy
    Nancy Laird
    Owner - D&N Specialties, Rio Rancho, New Mexico
    Woodworker, turner, laser engraver; RETIRED!
    Lasers - ULS M-20 (20W) & M-360 (40W), Corel X4 and X3
    SMC is user supported. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

Nancy, I took the pics after I took the item from the trailer, this is exactly how it was on the truck.

Trust me I have seen much worse. This is why you inspect, inspect, inspect the item to death.

When I sent the pics to the vendor who we purchased this item from they were shocked a bit but they re shipped a new item yesterday out to me already and claims will be out today to do their inspection.

This makes my point that no freight company will repack an item no matter how damaged it looks. They pickup and deliver, thats it...

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Morton View Post
    Problem with your logic is that if you stopped buying from every store that had this kind of problem you would not be able to buy anything from anyone.

Really? You're saying that every company has treated enough of it's customers they way this way that it's eventually made it to my ears/eyes? Sorry, but I just don't believe that every company screws it's customers this way. I'm not saying that there aren't dissatisfied customers with every company but frequently that's the customer's fault. I guess bad service is in the eyes of the customer and it's very apparent that you and I have a very different vision of what bad customer service is.

I feel bad that this guy is not being taken care of, but i am sure eventually he will be.

I would say that if I were the customer right now, there's very little that Redmond could do to make me feel, "Taken care of" at this point. The time has been lost. The blood pressure has been raised. And Gary still has to get that POS back up the stairs, into a crate of some sort, and wait and wait again for the shipper to show up again. And that's the best likely scenario. You have a very, very long fuse, Tim.

Unfortunately Redmunds may have decided that it is willing to risk future sales, against losing anymore money on this transation.

In your previous sentence you said that you were sure he would be taken care of. Not so sure now, I guess. I don't consider Redmond losing money a valid reason to not take care of a problem that was their responsibility.

If i were the owner of the company I would have complete faith in my employees that they shipped a product without a broken wing. The shipping container showed no damage.....i would be wondering if the customer banged the jointer getting it down to the basement and then claimed that it arrived that way. I would expect anyone to uncrate the jointer and then seperate it from the base prior to moving it down the stairs...and thus notice the broken wing before it was moved and before he packign material was thrown away. (buyer claimes to no longer have the packing material...very strange as anyone knows never to throw away packing material when you have damage.)

But the buyer is trying to concinve redmunds he moved the jointer to the basment with the packing material in tack and then uncrated it and threw away all the packing material before then noticing the damage and then noticing the motor did not run properly. It seems like its possible something other than the buyers story is possible.

AGAIN....this is not what i am saying has happnened...i am just saying that this might be what redmunds is thinking....
    In a previous post you said, "But no I do not doubt your version and i do not think that the deal should allow for a damage like that. Some rust or scratches yes...but not a broken wing." Regardless of your qualification at the end of this post, it really sounds to me like you've thought this out and don't believe the OP. That's your right of course. But I don't agree and I can't really see how you came up with the scenario of how Gary is at fault at all. Are you possibly a defense attorney? You seem to have a flair for making the victim look like the one at fault. I don't think that a company with good customer service should be trying this hard to figure out how the customer is lying to them and to thousands of other wood workers. I think they should refund they guy's money at least and do what they can to make it easy for him to ship the jointer back. I'll bet if they ever screw you like this you won't be so easy on Redmond.

Bruce

General Rocks

Norm Frampton called me back this morning. He has come to an agreement with Redmond. General will ship out a replacment floor model 480 jointer to me. General and Redmond will split the shipping costs. I just need to get the damaged jointer up stairs and the driver will put it on the pallet the replacement arrives on.

The damaged jointer will go back to General so they can evaluate it and try to determine what happened.

Mr. Frampton will call me with additional information regarding shipping dates etc, once those details get nailed down.

General has done a great job of stepping in (unsolicited, no less) and working with Redmond to resolve this situation for me. This cements them in my mind as not only a vendor of high quality tools, but also one with extraordinary customer service.

I will post pics of the replacement jointer when it arrives. Hopefully an asteroid doesn't crash into the truck while its on the way...

And yes, I will follow the advice given in this thread about inspecting and signing for it when it arrives.
    Where did I put that tape measure...

you would get to name the asteroid though...

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Benjamin View Post
    In a previous post you said, "But no I do not doubt your version and i do not think that the deal should allow for a damage like that. Some rust or scratches yes...but not a broken wing." Regardless of your qualification at the end of this post, it really sounds to me like you've thought this out and don't believe the OP. That's your right of course. But I don't agree and I can't really see how you came up with the scenario of how Gary is at fault at all. Are you possibly a defense attorney? You seem to have a flair for making the victim look like the one at fault. I don't think that a company with good customer service should be trying this hard to figure out how the customer is lying to them and to thousands of other wood workers. I think they should refund they guy's money at least and do what they can to make it easy for him to ship the jointer back. I'll bet if they ever screw you like this you won't be so easy on Redmond.

Bruce
    I really don't mean to sound like i don't believe him...and I was not defending anyone. I was pointing out how the person at redmund "MIGHT" be thinking...

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Williams View Post
    you would get to name the asteroid though...
    ROFL......
    Mark Rios

Anything worth taking seriously is worth making fun of.

"All roads lead to a terrestrial planet finder telescope"

We arrive at this moment...by the unswerving punctuality...of chance.

Who ever packaged it and thought it was a good idea to support the beds at the very ends IMHO wasn't very bright. That looks to have the potential to put a lot of stress right where the missing piece is.
    Dan

BTW At this point in the pics it looks like its still in the garage?
    Last edited by Dan Lee; 06-14-2007 at 12:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Herrmann View Post
    Norm Frampton called me back this morning. He has come to an agreement with Redmond. General will ship out a replacment floor model 480 jointer to me. General and Redmond will split the shipping costs. I just need to get the damaged jointer up stairs and the driver will put it on the pallet the replacement arrives on.
    Gary, I had a feeling that after you heard from Mr. Frampton, this would be resolved quickly. Good for him!!! (Applause)

As far as getting the jointer up the stairs, I suspect that if you go to the Union Mission or some similar place and offer four guys $20 each to get it moved, you'd almost have a stampede to your house. I know...that's another expense that you don't want to bear, but unless you have four burly neighbors/friends who want to spend a Saturday wrestling the old one up the stairs and more time getting the new one down, it would probably be money well-spent. It's near enough to the weekend--you might put out the word at church on Sunday among the teen-aged boys who might want a little pocket money. Call the local high school football coach--I'd bet he could find about 4-6 linebackers who would move it. Give me enough time I could probably make some more suggestions, but I'll let you pick your own brain for a while.

Nancy
    Nancy Laird
    Owner - D&N Specialties, Rio Rancho, New Mexico
    Woodworker, turner, laser engraver; RETIRED!
    Lasers - ULS M-20 (20W) & M-360 (40W), Corel X4 and X3
    SMC is user supported. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lee View Post
    Who ever packaged it and thought it was a good idea to support the beds at the very ends IMHO wasn't very bright. That looks to have the potential to put a lot of stress right where the missing piece is.
    Dan

BTW At this point in the pics it looks like its still in the garage?
    Dan those are the pics I took right after delivery, when it was in the garage.
    Where did I put that tape measure...

Angry

"General will ship out a replacment floor model 480 jointer to me."

Great! another "floor model"
    Building Inspector, CBO

Thumbs up damaged machine

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Herrmann View Post
    I posted a few weeks ago that I purchased a General 8" jointer and and a General 14" planer on sale at Redmond Machinery.

What I didn't post was that the jointer arrived damaged. I had assumed that either Redmond Machinery or the shipper (Old Dominion Freight Lines)would make it right for me. That was my 2nd mistake. The broken off piece was not in the crate.

I don't like rants. I am ranting, but I'm also posting it so some of you can learn from my mistake. Examine everything you order in minute detail before you sign for it. Dismantle the crate while its on the truck if you have to. Do NOT sign the form unless you are 100% certain no damage has occurred.

I've ordered 6 machines and had them shipped - 3 from Redmond. This is the first time I've ever had anything damaged. Lesson learned.

Following is the email I just sent to Redmond Machinery.

XXXX,

Old Dominion has also denied my claim. I find it hard to believe that the shipper denied my claim merely because I accepted the jointer. I accepted it because I didn't see the damage while it was in the crate, or I wouldn't have accepted it in the first place. Now the shipping company tells me there is no evidence of breakage occurring during shipping. So, with both companies involved denying responsibility for the breakage, the consumer has to just deal with it.

I find that to be completely ridiculous and unacceptable. Granted I got the jointer at a good price, but the damage will affect the price at which I am able to sell it in the future, should I ever decide to do so. It also affects the smoothness with which I can adjust the outfeed table. I selected the General jointer for its quality and that quality has been compromised.

I've purchased 3 machines from Redmond Machinery. Clearly, I am going to have to be very careful of who I order from and who ships me my tools in the future, or I will just have to buy locally.
    Gary, you should contact Old Dominion Freight Lines OS&D dept.
    and ask for their chief claims agent and tell them about this problem
    and tell him that this item had "concealed damage" when it was delivered
    and you were not aware of the damage until unit was uncrated and inspected. He will want to to know the bill of lading/ delivery receipt #
    date of delivery, and driver's name who made delivery and maybe a few other questions and let them try and resolve it for you. They have a
    minimum $1,000,000 cargo liability insurance in force at all times to protect them against claims and to handle them when they can and do
    come up. Don't let them b###s you around here, tell them you want this claim resolved in a timely manner and fashion. They will do something
    but it may take a couple of weeks to get it resolved to your satisfaction.
    When this shipment was originally picked up, it was shipped by customer
    and signed for by the driver who picked it up, he signed the bill of lading as accepting the merchandise with NO DAMAGE, concealed or expressed
    on the bill of lading. It was suppost to be handled and delivered as same.

Old Dominion's chief OS&D may be in High Point, N.C. their home office used to be located in Richmond,VA but I understand they moved to N.C. a few years ago. I'm giving this advice as a former truckdriver with 23 yrs.
    experience here. Sorry about the long post...but hope this will help
    Jim Heffner

Jim, General is fixing this.

Gary, call the local piano/furniture movers in your area - Will cost $50-$60 and they will get that jointer upstairs for you. That or call on the neighbors and pay their teenage kids!
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.