Thread: finish for entry door

finish for entry door

I was at a friends house last night and noticed that the top coat on his main entrance door has started to peel. The texture felt like poly coming off after prolonged exposure to the elements. So what is a recommended finish for such an application? the door gets a lot of morning sun and definately rain. I have been told it is made of Mahogany.
    The means by which an end is reached must exemplify the value of the end itself.

There are no clear finishes that hold up in sunshine without regular maintenance. Every year--perhaps two--you must be prepared to sand the finish lightly and apply a "refresher" coat of varnish. And, after a number of years (6-7 perhaps)something will start the deterioration and the door will need to be completely stripped and refinished.

If you don't have solvent based spray capabilities then the choice is pretty simple. There are three high quality marine spar varnishes to chose among. They are: Epifanes Clear High Gloss, Interlux Schooner, and Pettit Captain's. You will NEVER find these in Home Depot, Lowes, or other big box stores. You will only find them in a few good hardware or paint stores if you are in a yachting crazy town. Mostly you will only find them in boating supply stores such as West Marine or Boaters World. On line look at www.defender.com where you will find all of these about 25% less than at West Marine. These will cost $25 to $35 dollars a quart, and will have an annual service cost less than any of the big box or paint store alternatives at $13 per quart.

Follow the manufacturer's directions to the last detail. These will require 6-8 coats of brushed on varnish, sanded between coats. If you sand heavily to use varnish to fill the pores on the mahogany, don't count those coats. On doors make sure you finish all six sides.

Steve,

What about the 2-part Interlux Perfection Varnish (I think that's the name)?

Where are you in Fairfield Cty - I grew up in Danbury and went to HS in Fairfield?

- Ed

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Falis View Post
    Steve,

What about the 2-part Interlux Perfection Varnish (I think that's the name)?

- Ed
    I haven't used it, though I have used the Perfection 2-part paint. The paint is pretty challenging to apply, but I think the Perfection Varnish is formulated to brush out more easily. Still takes 4-6 coats. It costs $50 per quart at Defender, much more at West Marine, and you will need some of the matching solvent. (And count on using a new varnish brush (not a cheap chip brush) for each coat. (You might be able to use a foam roller (marine grade only--the solvents in this stuff will kill ordinary foam in quick order) if you have a flush door--pretty unlikely with a mahogany entry door. You also probably want an organic chemical mask when you apply it--the solvents are serious in this stuff. I didn't when I used the paint on my boat, but I was out doors with always at least a 10 knot breeze over the deck. (And, I have the dust to prove it.)

If you do need to refinish (and its not just the varnish that could deteriorate, but the wood underneath) you will have the challenge of sanding it off. I don't think even methylene chloride stripper will cope with it.

I need to change my profile. I'm now living in the CT shore area.

Quote Originally Posted by Zahid Naqvi View Post
    I was at a friends house last night and noticed that the top coat on his main entrance door has started to peel. The texture felt like poly coming off after prolonged exposure to the elements. So what is a recommended finish for such an application? the door gets a lot of morning sun and definately rain. I have been told it is made of Mahogany.
    Is the door directly exposed to the elements ? ( No glass door in front of it ? )
    "He who saves one life, saves the world entire"

Thanks, Steve. I used it on a table top inside (originally bought it for a kayak I'm still building) and it's held up great.

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy levine View Post
    Is the door directly exposed to the elements ? ( No glass door in front of it ? )
    Yes it is, there is a 4-5 foot overhang covering it but that is almost 12-14 foot high.
    The means by which an end is reached must exemplify the value of the end itself.

Steve, thanks for your reply I will check them out.