Thread: Shipping cost for large items from Amazon

Shipping cost for large items from Amazon

Well, the deal I thought I had on a used unisaw appears to be vanishing.

And the killer deals that Amazon has had recently on new tablesaws are getting my attention.

Recently, they were selling PM66 saws at a very good price.

Shipping was only $149.

Does anybody know if that includes liftgate service? If not, any idea what the extra charge would be?

Thanks in advance!

-Tom H.
    Ventura, CA

I just took delivery of a Jet tablesaw from Amazon and it shipped via Eagle USA. Shipping was $149 and did include liftgate service. The driver told me he would help me put it anywhere I wanted it.

I recently bought a cabinet saw from Amazon. The saw itself was shipped via ABF, and the fence and rails were shipped via Eagle. ABF brought the saw on a truck with a liftgate, and used a pallet jack to take it into my garage. They were willing to deliver it anywhere that they could get the pallet jack to.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Henderson2 View Post
    Well, the deal I thought I had on a used unisaw appears to be vanishing.

And the killer deals that Amazon has had recently on new tablesaws are getting my attention.

Recently, they were selling PM66 saws at a very good price.

Shipping was only $149.

Does anybody know if that includes liftgate service? If not, any idea what the extra charge would be?

Thanks in advance!

-Tom H.
    Ventura, CA
    When they call to schedule the delivery ask for the liftgate. It is authorized by amazon for all their large tool purchases. Both Eagle and ABF have done liftgate for me. If you do not ask for it though they do not automatically give it to you. Just tell them up front what you need. Jerry, my ABF driver the last 4 times, is a great guy and also a woodworker. I helped him get a Delta CMS fixed.
    Last edited by Mike Heidrick; 06-08-2007 at 8:47 AM.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

5. I've had 3 large tool deliveries from amazon in the last month - all included lift gate for the $149.
    GO POKES!!

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Triggs View Post
    I recently bought a cabinet saw from Amazon. The saw itself was shipped via ABF, and the fence and rails were shipped via Eagle. ABF brought the saw on a truck with a liftgate, and used a pallet jack to take it into my garage. They were willing to deliver it anywhere that they could get the pallet jack to.
    Steven's experience is the exact same as mine for my PM2000. Actually, they even took it a step further and drove the semi around my house to my walkout basement door. Helped me get it in with a handtruck. Couldn't have asked for better service. This was last spring.

I forgot to finish my point in my above post...

The service from the freight companies was great, but what upset me was that I ordered one item from amazon, and they shipped the multiple boxes via different carriers. Fortunately, I was able to get both carriers to come to my house on the same day, but if not, I would have had to take off from work twice. It seemed obvious to me that if I ordered one item, even if it happened to be in multiiple boxes, that it should have all been shipped via the same freight carrier.

Thanks everybody for taking the time to share your experiences. Sounds like the Amazon shipping deal is pretty good.

Thanks again!

-Tom H.

I always try to use super saver shipping that is free but only if you buy through Amazon. THey are sneaky that way and sometimes your buying from another outfit and you dont even know it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Keller View Post
    I always try to use super saver shipping that is free but only if you buy through Amazon. THey are sneaky that way and sometimes your buying from another outfit and you dont even know it.
    When you view the item on Amazon, the source is clearly identified on the page. There is also a note at the top that indicates if SuperSaver (or Amazon Prime) applies to that item.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Shipping cost

I retired from FedEx a few years ago. Lift gate surcharge was $25, pallet jack surcharge was $25 when I shipped my Tablesaw, dust collector and ww workbench. My sliding tablesaw (wt 1,000 lbs) cost me $272 for a 640-mile shipment. You can generally calculate freight (big and ugly) charges at between $.25-.50/lb. The dealer had a discount with FedEx.For a guy off the street the price would have been about $500. You can be sure that Amazon has a 'sweetheart' deal with shippers that works in your favor.

Most carriers are tagging on a fuel surcharge because of the crazy prices at the pump.

Gary Curtis

Yesterday I took possession of a Jet cabinet saw from one of the earlier Amazon deals. It was delivered by Eagle. When they called to schedule delivery I asked about lift gate service and whether they would have a pallet jack and/or dolly. I was told the truck would have a lift gate but the lady was unsure about the pallet jack/dolly.

When they arrived they were in a regular delivery van WITHOUT a lift gate. Luckily the driver had a strapping young assistant and we were able to lower it to the ground without much difficulty. If there hadn’t been three of us I think we would have been in trouble. They did have a dolly but one of the tires was flat. I used my compressor to inflate the tire and we wheeled the saw into my garage.