Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where should I put my JET air filtration?

Blog Entries

Where should I put my JET air filtration?

I recently got the JET air filtration system and I was wondering if under the extension of my table saw would be a good place(to the fence side of the saw) or should it be higher in the room. I would think lower would work good because dust settles. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Wyko View Post
    I recently got the JET air filtration system and I was wondering if under the extension of my table saw would be a good place(to the fence side of the saw) or should it be higher in the room. I would think lower would work good because dust settles. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    it should vent to the outside

Blog Entries
    I don't believe it's designed to vent outside. That would pull out all my cold air from the A/C and believe me, it gets hot here.

your lucky to have a air conditioned work shop.

5. Just don't place it in a spot where you are between the dust producer (the tool) and the air filter, or everything will pass right by your face.

Blog Entries
    I Don't know if you saw my posts on the turners forum. I just built my shop. The LOML sucked up too much of my garage so I had to take matters into my own hands (literally) I built a 12x20 workshop myself. My neighbor helped me lift 2 walls and my BIL did a great job of painting it. I'm down to trim on the corners and then it's time for the inside. I found a great deal on Sears.com for a window mount 15100btu ac unit. Their website and their stores need better communication though. The first one I got was a week late and beat to ..... then I had to return it to one store and get another one from another Sears across town. I wasn't very pleased with all the running around but they did give me 10% off the sale price. Now even with out insulation it's a refrigerator in minutes. I'll post pics after this weekend. BTW the air filtration system just needs to be away from corners and the A/C. as far as I can tell. The manual is very vague about location. It even says to put it on saw horses.

Blog Entries
    Good point. Thanks.

I read an article recently that suggested placing them near the ceiling and one wall. The idea was it gets the airborne stuff and the exhaust gets the air in the room moving in a circular pattern so it picks up more. I'm going to move mine next week.
    Rick
    I support the Pens for Canadian Peacekeepers project

I have mine at ceiling height along a wall...it rarely gets used, but that's been a good place for it to clear the air. Please note that these air filters only help reduce the fines in the air after the fact which helps reduce settling in the shop...you've already breathed the stuff before the air filter begins to clear it out. These are not dust collection systems. And no, they are not designed to vent outside...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I did the same thing and finally installed a Clearvue Cyclone to get rid of the dust. I had an 1100 cfm Jet DC with a Bulldog 1 micron canister filter. Also a JDS bag style filter hanging from the ceiling. The Jet worked great for about 3-4 hrs runtime then needed cleaning. I cleaned it. It worked great for about 2 hrs. I cleaned it again. After 12 hrs of runtime it needed cleaned every 10-20 min or the suction would drop off to nearly nothing. I finally threw in the towel. Now my shop is cool and dust free. If you are working in an air-conditioned area a cyclone is the only way to go in my opinion.
    Jim Bell

One more pass and you may see brass!

I hung mine up in the rafters in the center of the shop. I don't like hanging anything down below 8 ft if I can get away with it.

I hung my JET air filtration on the ceiling in the middle of the shop, with the filter-side pointing towards the biggest dust producers (chop saw) and the exit pointing, more imprortantly, towards where I mostly stand near the workbench and tablesaw. The intent is to ensure intake and exit provide maximum "stirrage" of the air, so that it does indeed filter "all" the shop air 6 times an hour.

More importantly, the strong exit breeze keeps me cool in the Phoenix afternoons
    Oh, here's something I messed up the first time I hung it up: make sure the remote control lights which show 2/4/6 hour delay and fan speed (on the unit) are pointing so you can just glance up and see them! At first I had to climb up on a stool to view them, until I rotated the unit.

Also, if you hang it "across" the rafters, be aware the spacing for either the eyehole bolts (for chains) or the screw-mounts is NOT 24"... standard for ceiling/attic rafters in a garage. I couldn't quite figure out WHAT their engineering intent for the mounting spacing was, in fact, as it doesn't seem to match any normal U.S. stud spacing. Anyways, I had to get up in the attic and put in some cripple studs to be sure I had good mounting spots.
    Jim has a good point, when I am working with dust producers I wear my respirator (as I just have a 1.5 HP delta -760 which doesn't get fine dust too well), then use the air filter to make the air clean AFTER I leave, using the 4 or 6 hour settings.

Blog Entries
    Mine is at the ceiling in mid-room. I have read a few suggestions about ceiling and wall positions. I am thinking of moving mine although it grabs a lot of stuff right where it is.

Just to confuse the issue I have read of folks who prefer it at knee height. The theory here is that particles eventually drop and more material will be picked up. Just relaying what I read. In all the reviews I have read the units have been at the ceiling height in mid room.

P.s. Mine hangs from synthetic rope to minimize noise with chains (not tight) in case of rope failure.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 06-09-2007 at 2:28 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

14. Quote Originally Posted by Dave MacArthur View Post

Also, if you hang it "across" the rafters, be aware the spacing for either the eyehole bolts (for chains) or the screw-mounts is NOT 24"... standard for ceiling/attic rafters in a garage. I couldn't quite figure out WHAT their engineering intent for the mounting spacing was, in fact, as it doesn't seem to match any normal U.S. stud spacing. Anyways, I had to get up in the attic and put in some cripple studs to be sure I had good mounting spots.
    I just drilled new holes in the housing and moved the brackets. It had to be a lot easier than getting in the attic.

Doh! good point!

Actually, I crawled around up in that garage attic in Phoenix (100 degrees), it must have been over 130 in there, for probably 5 hours running my new shop wiring (8 new circuits from subpanel, lighting, etc.).
    As I recall, I was too dehydrated, tired, and beat up to crawl out of the attic, so the two boards were a break heh. On the good side, I probably lost 10 pounds, which I used to justify the purchase of the
    "JET Air Filtration and Workout System" to my wife. Tool Excuse searchers, take note!