Thread: Delta 50-760 Dust Collector assembly

Delta 50-760 Dust Collector assembly

While reading the owner's manual for my new Delta 50-760 dust collector, I noticed that it says you can configure it one of two ways: motor up and intake ports down, or motor down and intake ports up. I'm having a hard time picturing the pros/cons of one way vs. the other, but I figure since it allows for the choice, there must be a reason.

Any advice or thoughts on it?

I've got that one, assembled it a few months ago. My thoughts were if you will pipe it to overhead runs it would be easier to put outlets on top. I'm just using flex along the floor so I did the motor on top and outlets on bottom.

Seems good to me so far, but I'm fearing the bag dumping. I couldn't get the band clamp to work at all with only 2 hands so I used the felt ring and that was tough too.

Good luck,

Dave

I thought the felt ring was pretty easy to install really on the 764. What is giving you trouble with it?
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

I have that same collector. I installed the inlet face down because I placed the collector in a corner of the shop and then ran galvanized pipe along the two adjacent walls at floor level. I used a wye connection and gates to route the suction in one direction or the other.

I have found both methods of attaching the plastic bag to the flange to be inconvenient and entirely unsatisfactory. IMHO, this is a very serious design flaw in an otherwise nice piece of equipment. I do a lot of planing rough sawn lumber and fill the bag up quite frequently. Changing it out is a PITA, to say the least. I plan on re-engineering the collection so that the dust goes into a hard sided barrel or other container rather than that plastic bag.

Blog Entries
    I forget where I saw it, but someone mentioned to duct tape the plastic bag to the housing first, and then use the metal clamp to secure it. This solves the requirement for 4 hands...

I have the same DC and am going to try that on the next bag change.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Klein View Post
    I forget where I saw it, but someone mentioned to duct tape the plastic bag to the housing first, and then use the metal clamp to secure it. This solves the requirement for 4 hands...

I have the same DC and am going to try that on the next bag change.
    That could have been me. The problem with using the outside steel strap clamp is that they didn't design it so you could adjust it to the right size. One notch is too loose and the next tighter one is too tight to latch in place. If you wrap it all the way around the duct tape actually provides a little thickness over the flange so the strap will clamp tightly.

I just think having to use bungee cords or duct tape or recruit a helper just to change the bag is an indication of very poor design.

Blog Entries
    As others have posted, the controlling factor is duct runs. My small Delta is for my TS & RT primarily. Where these machines are calls for floor runs so I came out the bottom. One bother is that my blast gate manifold is also near the floor and while accessible, a bit of a pain.

Those with bag trouble; do your bags have belt loops? Stick a piece of masking tape across the belt loop and onto the steel band. This keeps the bag from slipping around while you get it on.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler