Thread: new projects 1/3

new projects 1/3

I haven’t posted to the forum in several months, though I continue to visit regularly to get advice and inspiration from other projects. I figured it was high time to quit lurking and post some photos and details of recent projects.

This one is a storage cabinet for our guest bathroom. The body of the cabinet is constructed from what I believe is African Mahogany, which I picked up at a lumber sale – it was simply marked ‘mahogany’ but I doubt it is Honduras Mahogany. The door is frame and panel construction, with an MDF panel veneered with bookmatched Sapele Pomele and a solid ebony handle (photo 1). I have been using ebony for handles on cabinets throughout our house and it holds up quite well and is a joy to shape and buff to final shape. The door is attached to the cabinet with two Blum Hinges – it was the first time I used these hinges and was pleased with how easy it was to install and fine tune these hinges to adjust the fit of the door (photo 2). The cabinet was constructed from a single board of Mahogany using dowel joinery, using a simple jig I read about in one of Krenov’s books, and the back panel is ¼ plywood. I finished the cabinet with Waterlox, which despite the smell seems like a good finish for this wood and moisture this cabinet will have to deal with.

Lesson(s) learned the hard way… Originally I planned to hang the interior shelves using ¼ inch pins and I used a homemade shelving jig to align and drill the holes. After the cabinet was assembled and glued up I inserted the pins and hung the shelves and realized I’d misaligned the holes, badly. No way would the shelves work. I remembered an article in FWW (Sept/Oct ’96) on hanging shelves using sawtooth supports and realized I could use these supports, as a band aid, over the top of the existing holes. So this is how I ended up hanging the shelves and the supports mostly covered up the holes (photo 3). Next time I drill shelve holes I will mark a reference end (top or bottom) and be consistent…

Thanks for looking…
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very pretty. The Sapele field is stunning. I like the shelf hanging system. it gives the cabinet a personal touch not seen normally.
    It's beautiful Roger.

Ok...what I said in the first thread I replied to...you must post MORE of your beautiful work! Outstanding!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Cool

Roger, your cabinet is beautiful. The wood choice and craftsmanship is excellent. I saw the detail picture of the sawtooth shelf system and made a copy for my "idea notebook." I think it fits the style of the cabinet much better than the posts would have.

I've never used veneer over MDF and was wondering how it holds up in the high humidity of a bathroom.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Barga View Post
    I haven’t posted to the forum in several months, though I continue to visit regularly to get advice and inspiration from other projects. I figured it was high time to quit lurking and post some photos and details of recent projects.

This one is a storage cabinet for our guest bathroom. The body of the cabinet is constructed from what I believe is African Mahogany, which I picked up at a lumber sale – it was simply marked ‘mahogany’ but I doubt it is Honduras Mahogany. The door is frame and panel construction, with an MDF panel veneered with bookmatched Sapele Pomele and a solid ebony handle (photo 1). I have been using ebony for handles on cabinets throughout our house and it holds up quite well and is a joy to shape and buff to final shape. The door is attached to the cabinet with two Blum Hinges – it was the first time I used these hinges and was pleased with how easy it was to install and fine tune these hinges to adjust the fit of the door (photo 2). The cabinet was constructed from a single board of Mahogany using dowel joinery, using a simple jig I read about in one of Krenov’s books, and the back panel is ¼ plywood. I finished the cabinet with Waterlox, which despite the smell seems like a good finish for this wood and moisture this cabinet will have to deal with.

Lesson(s) learned the hard way… Originally I planned to hang the interior shelves using ¼ inch pins and I used a homemade shelving jig to align and drill the holes. After the cabinet was assembled and glued up I inserted the pins and hung the shelves and realized I’d misaligned the holes, badly. No way would the shelves work. I remembered an article in FWW (Sept/Oct ’96) on hanging shelves using sawtooth supports and realized I could use these supports, as a band aid, over the top of the existing holes. So this is how I ended up hanging the shelves and the supports mostly covered up the holes (photo 3). Next time I drill shelve holes I will mark a reference end (top or bottom) and be consistent…

Thanks for looking…
    gloss finish detracts from the natural beauty of the wood. Makes it look plastic.

Blog Entries
    I happen to like the gloss finish. I think your cabinet is very elegant. Very nice job. Nice choice of woods too. Finish is one of those personal preference things. Quality of construction speaks louder than words. You get an "A"
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

id say the gloss makes it pop and it will probably hold up in the moisture of a bathroom very well. and i love the shelf hanging its super unique - is that purpleheart in there?

Gloss is fine....I'm sure the flash magnified the effects a little. I, also, like the unique way for the shelves. :>)

Gary K.