Thread: "I cannot tell a lie..."

"I cannot tell a lie..."

Is that what George told his dad about cutting the cherry tree?
    Well dear Creekers I would like you thoughts about this planned cherry tree cutting.

I have a wild cherry 12" dia. trunk. I looks healthy at the base, top has some dead limbs.

When it's down how long should I cut the pieces before sealing the end grain?
    Should I "split" (with the chain saw)?
    How long should the drying time last?
    Does the length have any bearing on drying time?
    What am I not asking that would be helpful?

Man, that is a bunch of questions, thanks to all who will take time to reply.

At least I'm not up the "creek" without a bunch of folks with paddles.

Anyone that wants to help for half?
    Plant a tree, help it grow, children need something to climb.

cherry tree from a storm

I got some cherry from neighborhood after a storm. Not much, just two logs about 6-7 feet long. Most of it I cut into 16-18 inch pieces, but a few are about a foot. I wish I had made all of it 16-18. I did not split it yet, its been drying since March and I'm not going to try one out until next March.

I'm no expert, I'm just in the same boat, so I thought I'd share what I did and monitor what the real experts tell us.

cheers
    Pat

Norris,

I'd keep it in log form for as long as possible and seal the ends. When you're ready, cut off the last 2-4 inches of an end and then cut the blank to your desired width. Cut out the pith and turn the halves.

I'd take you up on the offer but its a little far from So Cal.
    May all your turnings be smooth,

Brodie Brickey

Norris, it depends on the size lathe you have for the length of cut or what size bowl or HF/vase you want to make. For a 12" tree, you can get around a 10" bowl after the pith is cut out, so I'd cut it so it is divisible by 10 or 11 inches up to however long I could carry and seal the ends.

What size lathe do you have?

Thanks, Pat, Brodie & Ernie;

I have an old Oliver that can turn 12" dia.
    Still have not heard how long to let cure (dry).
    Attached Images Attached Images

Norris, sorry, I just completely passed by the other questions.

If you are ready to turn it, cut it to the desired length for whatever you are going to turn. If it's a big bowl, cut a chunk 12" long and yes, split it with the chain saw. You have to split it twice cutting on both sides of the pith. Immediately seal the ends of everything you will not turn right now. Don't forget to seal where all the limbs were cut off too. Turn the wood green... drying comes later. For a 12" bowl turn the sides down to about 1" thick. After that is done, there are several ways to dry it. I use the denatured alcohol method and I can finish a bowl depending on the wood in 3-8 weeks. It can seem like a long time, but if you keep up the green turning, you'll cover yourself up in bowls needing finish.

If you've only turned dry wood to date, you'll be surprised how fast you form a bowl in green wood. One of the reasons to leave wood as long as you can handle is to KEEP the moisture in there.

As far as any more questions or some about what I just wrote... ask away.

Thanks again Ernie,
    I've decided to get a "tree man" to help cut it down. I think I could do it with a rope and my chain comealong, but will pay for help with this job.
    Dr. just told me I have osteoprosis (sp) so I reckon I'll try to be more careful. Dad gum now I have to take a pill every day.
    But I suppose taking one is better than being one.

I've already read the alcohol treating process, hope I can find time to do some green turning. I tried that a while back with a small apple limb and it turned out ok. I just let it air dry.

Oh! there is one more question. Do you think it is worth the wait to put off the cut until winter, when the sap is down?