Thread: Advice on Live Center...

Advice on Live Center...

G'day All....

When will I EVER learn to walk away from what appears to be a bargain...read CHEAP tool!

I purchased a 60 degree point Live Center through Ebay. And when I used it for the first time to support my pen mandrel, it started to spew grease after about 5 minutes of use. Apparently, the bearing seal failed. So, I sent it back for a refund or replacement; but have yet to hear back from the supplier.

My question is this: I've found various Live Centers for around $30-40, which have a single point. For around $60, one can get a Live Center with multi-points and cups. Is this worth the extra $$s....would the extra points and cups come in handy for various projects?

Thanks in advance for any tips/advice.
    Phil

In answer to your question, in MHO, yes the kit is worth it. The cone suppled IS 60 degree and heavy duty enough to not wear down. I have had instances where the other accessories have helped.

Bruce
    "The great thing about Wood Turning is that all you have to do is remove what's not needed to have something beautiful. Nature does tha Hard work."

M.H. Woodturning, Etc.
    Peoria, Illinois 61554

I have this one from woodcraft (for my Jet mini) and I do find the interchangeable pieces really helpful. I use 2 or 3 regularly and the rest occasionally. I never use the original center anymore, because I just don't need it.

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?FamilyID=3727

Phillip,

Look at it this way. Buying quality up front? You will only cry once.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Peacock View Post
    Phillip,

Look at it this way. Buying quality up front? You will only cry once.
    Amen. I have vowed never to buy crappy tools again. I've learned that lesson enough. I'd rather be innovative and make do without a tool than deal with the heartbreak and frustration of crappy tools. Not to mention the time invested in repair, either by me or taking it to a shop.

If you turn on mandrels a lot (pens, shaping cork fishing rod handles, etc) then having a hardened 60D point live center is very worthwhile. If you mainly turn wood between centers then the multitip live centers are great. I use the Oneway live center and it's fantastic, except for the wear the point receives when I use mandrels. For my mandrel turnings (cork handles mainly) I use a medium duty metal working live center.

"The most expensive tools are the ones you have to replace early and often...."

Yes, on the multi-tip live center kit or something like the OneWay with thread-on accessories.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...