Thread: BLO and Wipe on Poly

BLO and Wipe on Poly

I am building kitchen cabinets for a new home from curly maple. I believe I read on this forum that BLO will highlight the figure in the maple. The LOML has agreed to be in charge of the finishing process and wants to use wipe on poly. She has had great luck with this on other projects. Is wipe on poly compatible with BLO? I have never used BLO. Will it have any significant effect on the maple color? We desire the color to remain naturally light. Any help or insight in to this would be appreciated.

Blog Entries
    BLO will pop the grain but will darken the wood a few shades. Depending on the weather / shop environment is can take a week or more to dry. Do let it dry completely. Rule of thumb for when its dry? The smell is gone (or nearly).

I use it on oak, walnut, cherry and birch. Try a test piece following your sanding protocol exactly. I think you'll like it.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

If your main goal is to have the maple remain light, skip the BLO and use a waterborne non-yellowing finish. This won't pop any figure--it's the amber in oil finishes that does the figure popping. Be careful, the consumer grade waterbornes sometimes still impart a slight bluish tinge that can look quite awful. Check out www.homesteadfinishing.com for some high quality waterbornes.

Thanks for the help and advice. Since no one stated any concerns with compatibility, I believe I'll go with the BLO and poly. Obviously a test strip will be necessary. Thanks again.