Thread: BB Ply for Desktop - How thick?

BB Ply for Desktop - How thick?

I was thinking of using BB ply as a substrate for a laminated computer desk top. Approx. dimensions would be about 30x60 plus 2.5" of solid cherry edge "banding" around the whole thing.

Can I get by with 1/2" BB or will 3/4" be needed for strength? Will have simple side panel supports, with a stiffener partial vertical panel under the top closer to the rear edge.

I prefer ply to MDF as it's not so heavy and should be more stable right? (less saggy over time?)

Half an inch is too thin for a desktop. And since I am completly opposed to the use of MDF for anything other than crude jigs, etc. I would suggest laminating two thicknesses of the half inch ply for a net top thickness of one inch.
    David DeCristoforo

I could do the 1" section, seems like a good compromise. I'd have to up size my edging lumber to 6/4 or 8/4 to cover it.

desk top?

Russ, If you want it good and strong I would use two 3/4" layers of
    bb plywood or mdf, either will make a very good solid top.
    To finish it off, laminate a good piece of formica of your choice to it,
    and you will have a top that will take a lot of abuse and last for years.
    Jim Heffner

I'd use 3/4" and run some 4" x 3/4" around the edge under the top. That'll make it plenty sturdy while not too heavy.

Another option would be a torsion box. More time consuming, but it would make the desk a lot lighter as well as probably more stable.
    Use the fence Luke

I'm going to go against the previous replies and suggest the unthinkable--only because I have been successful with a different approach. I used MDF for the substrate. I ordered 5/8 inch MDF, but my lumber supplier delivered 3/8 inch instead. Well, I used it and it worked just fine.

My desk project is 66 inches wide and 29 inches deep. The top sits in a wide rabbet in a substantial frame. Unseen in the photos is a center support that is mortised into the frame. I opted to add a 1/4-inch flat glass to protect the veneer.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice table! Not sure if I want to go that route. Just something simple, yet look nicer than the crumble wood, cheapo veneer/laminate you get at the stores.

I made a stereo rack the same way so it'd be nice to match styles (although they're not in the same room!), nice Wilsonart black laminate with a wide solid cherry strip around the perimeter.

MDF will make a fine substrate for a desk top if you properly support it.

If you go with plywood, BB is the best choice. Minimum of 3/4 with 1" being better.

A desk should be heavy unless you specifically design it to be moved around.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

Do what the factories do.....

Use mdf (3/4"). You'll have no problems if the structure of the base is sound. I build all my paint-grade mantles from mdf 'cause I don't have to worry about warping, shrinking, swelling, etc.
    Just my opinion of course.
    Bill

I'm going ply because the design I'm thinking of doesn't have the apron support all the way around. A good part of the desk will not be directly supported and I didn't want it to sag. Using high pressure laminate both top and bottom should help a little there too (if I use resin glue). Resin glue OK for laminate I assume?