Thread: Hints for a resaw for 14" wide boards

Hints for a resaw for 14" wide boards

Hello,
    I'm new to this forum and would appreciate some hints as to what to buy as a band saw. 95% of what I need to do is resaw 4/4 and 5/4 boards of Hard Maple and Yellow Poplar down to roughly 1/8" veneers or sheets.
    Problem is my boards must range in width from 8" to 14". I see that Grizzly sells single phase and triple phase 21" and 24" bandsaws. Question is do I need single or triple? Do I need more than 3hp? The 21" band saw looks like a bargain under $1800. But the stated resaw height for the 21" is exactly 14". Sometimes my boards need to be 1/8" over 14" wide. I called Grizzly and the rep said you should be able to get 14 1/8" done. The 24" can handle 16" wide boards for resaw but is about a grand more. Can machines such as these do the job for me? Can I adjust the settings and with a proper fence slice off a few sheets down close to 1/8" thick? Will I need to run sheets through a drum sander to get the exact thickness or can it be done just on the band saw? Thank you in advance for any assistance you can offer.
    Scott

Scott,

You do not have to get 3 phase machine (although they are nice, IMHO). Single phase motors of up to 5 hp will require a 30 amp breaker. 3 hp motors probably need a 20 amp breaker.

Is 3 hp enough for 12-14" resaw.......yes - I think so.

If you really want to be sure you have enough resaw height - and require a Brute of a Machine - may I suggest MiniMax? They may have some "used" machines for sale at a fair price. 1-800-975-9663 and ask for Sam Blasco - the band saw expert! No pressure sales and and excellent resource to learn a good fit for your woodworking needs.

There are several Good Band Saws to choose - you will soon hear them all.

Welcome to the Creek!

Thanks for the tip Roy. I checked the bandsaws out on the site. Look great. Sam Blasco does indeed seem to be the bandsaw man. The number you posted for him requires some kind of AT&T access code. Do you have another number or way to reach him? A reconditioned or used MiniMax bandsaw may be the way to go.
    Thanks again,
    Scott

This number will get you to MiniMax. Just ask for Sam.

1-866-975-9663
    Mark Rios

Anything worth taking seriously is worth making fun of.

"All roads lead to a terrestrial planet finder telescope"

We arrive at this moment...by the unswerving punctuality...of chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Felicetti View Post
    Thanks for the tip Roy. I checked the bandsaws out on the site. Look great. Sam Blasco does indeed seem to be the bandsaw man. The number you posted for him requires some kind of AT&T access code. Do you have another number or way to reach him? A reconditioned or used MiniMax bandsaw may be the way to go.
    Thanks again,
    Scott

Scott,

Me bad on my typing........As Mark noted above..it is a 866 toll free #

I got into a lull of the generic 800 #.

Another way to remember (which I obviously didn't) is:

1-866-WRK-WOOD

Thanks for the help. Spoke to Sam. Very helpful and really knows his stuff. It appears you can get a fantastic Machine The MM16 from MiniMax that will resaw up to 16". Great stuff.
    Scott.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Felicetti View Post
    Thanks for the help. Spoke to Sam. Very helpful and really knows his stuff. It appears you can get a fantastic Machine The MM16 from MiniMax that will resaw up to 16". Great stuff.
    Scott.

Scott,

They also have a used 20" in stock.....a couple years old......you might be able to get a deal on it.....it does not have any more resaw height (15-16") than the new MM16's......but larger table and 20" wheels are a definant upgrade....

Glad you got to talk to Sam - He is a good guy!