Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wanting some new tools...

Wanting some new tools...

New here and was wanting to say "Hey" as well as get some recommendations on a few items I was considering for my shop.

I'm interested to know how many of you use router lifts and if so, which ones? Do you think a router lift is necessary? I have a router table built to the end of my TS that has a Ridgid router in it that seems to work fine, but I'm going to get a MW5625 dedicated for the router table.

I don't have a bandsaw or a jointer, and was considering getting a 14" bandsaw and a 6" table top jointer (which I'll build additional infeed & out feed tables to). Any sugestions here?

Please take into account that I only have around a $1000 to spend and would love to find good used equipment, but never seem to find anything worth buying in my area (SC), so if I have to get new I need to know where yall find all these deals that I can't seem to find.

Thanks,
    Paul

Hi Paul,

I personally would rather have a jointer and a band saw than a router lift. Router lifts can be expensive. Many of the newer routers on the market have above-table lift mechanisms built in. If I were you I'd save myself some money by not getting a router lift and consider spending a bit more to get a better jointer. I have been using a router table for years without a lift. It takes me no time at all to adjust it. I view a router lift as a luxury item.

There aren't any good reviews on table top jointers from folks who are in the know. Take a look at the Delta JT360 6" open stand jointer. I think you'd be much better off with it.

If you wanted to spend just a tiny bit more you could get a nice 14" bandsaw, a 6" jointer, and a nice router with a built in lift. Jet makes a great 14" closed base band saw for a great price - about $500.

Jointer $369
    Band Saw $500
    Dedicated router w/ lift $200

That's only $1,069! You can do it.

Best of luck and have fun!
    Last edited by Jim Grill; 06-15-2007 at 9:01 AM.
    The day you think you know everything will be very same day you stop learning.

Thanks Jim,

I can get that jointer at the local Lowes. So what bandsaw did you have in mind? I was really wanting something bigger than a 2-1/4hp, that's why I've opted for the MW 5625 (or the PC 7518).

I've looked at a lot of reviews for the Crafstman 22401, but I have had terrible dealings with previous CM products (post mid 80's).

What about a Grizzly GO452 Jointer for $384 shipped?

Thanks,
    Paul
    Last edited by Paul Arnold; 06-15-2007 at 9:16 AM.

4. Paul,
    There are alot of good deals on Amazon.com that would probably allow you to get new equipment at the same price (I just replaced my whole shop for less than the price of most used equipment). There is another forum that posts Amazon/internet tool bargains (PM me if interested).

I use a router lift and I love it, mine is a Jet X-Acta lift - but it's basically a Jess'Em Rout-R Lift. If I got to pick again, I'd pick a lift that accepted only the router body for more height (my lift attaches to the existing router base and you use about 1/2" from normal router height. I have a 2 router table setup, one in my saw extension, one Rockler table and they come in super handy when using matched set bits such as cope & stick. The Jet bandsaw suggestions is a great one, you really can't beat it for the price.
    GO POKES!!

5. Since you mention it - the PC7518 is very common for table use and many lifts/inserts are standard for the PC7518. It is a work horse...and built like a tank.
    GO POKES!!

Aaron,
    What all did you get when you replaced everything?

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Hamilton View Post
    Since you mention it - the PC7518 is very common for table use and many lifts/inserts are standard for the PC7518. It is a work horse...and built like a tank.
    Aaron is right. I have the PC7518 attached to a Woodpeckers PRL and I couldn't happier. I can remove the bits at the table level and adjust the depth incredibly small increments. One revolution is 1/32".
    If sawdust were gold, I'd be rich!

Byron Trantham
    Fredericksburg, VA
    WUD WKR1

One thought would be that the lower priced an item is in general, the better off you are buying the best. I think routers fit into this category, particularly for table use. I bought the Bench Dog prolift for $200 new and just finished installing it next to my contractor's TS. I won't be able to buy the 7518 for a couple of months, but I can assure you I won't be disappointed once I do.

Between the three, I would probably skimp on the bandsaw first. I bought the closed-stand Jet 14" for $200 also (used), and it works great for anything but resawing.

Still don't have a jointer. Do edge jointing with the router and buy rough stock that is flat enough not to need face jointing.

I've been using a lift for quite few years. I started out with a Rout-R-Lift from JessEm (one of the original purveyors of the same) and used it until I recently replaced my free-standing router table setup with a BenchDog cast iron top and their excellent lift. (My router is a PC7518)

The lifts are not a "necessity" but can be a nice, convenient way to handle an in-table router, such as the PC I use. As an alternative, some of the more recent high-amperage routers have a built in lift system which can save you money.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have a router lift and love it it made my life more convenient and I can more accuracy adjust depth. I went with the lower end woodpecker only because that is what fit my table, I would have done the better woodpecker if I could of. Or if I used it in a woodshop the benchdog.

I just also got a 6" jet joiner, I highly recommend it. As for building infeed and outfeed tables on a joiner not really sure how that will work since the tables adjust hight wise. You really need a long real table, that is the point of the joiner. I do not have a band saw but whish I did I just don't have the room and hate the table saw sometimes.

I think it depends on what you do, I would agree with the top statement that I would get a band saw or joiner before a router lift. Which one you need more is really dependant on what you make.
    -=Jason=-

11. If you decide on a few different models, you can check out this website for personal tool reviews of woodworkers who have used the tool. There's a ranking system and many of the users also provide personal comments that might help in your decision. I'm not sure how much new stuff there is in there, but it can't hurt to take a look.

http://www.woodworking2.org/toolpage.htm

Paul,
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ght=dream+shop

This thread shows everything I got from Amazon and what I paid. I got some amazing deals. PM me if you have detailed questions. When I say I replaced everything...I mean everything....down to the air compressor and all.
    GO POKES!!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Arnold View Post
    Thanks Jim,

I can get that jointer at the local Lowes. So what bandsaw did you have in mind?

What about a Grizzly GO452 Jointer for $384 shipped?
    I think the Grizzly is a fine choice. Many people are quite happy with them. The Delta at Lowe's is comparable in HP and capacity. It's a heavy machine. Don't let the open base fool you. I think either would be great for the money.

The Jet JWBS-14CS is a great saw for a great price at $499. You'll probably want to upgrade it some in the future, but you can build your own resaw fence and resaw up to 6" out of the box. For another $100 you can get the JWBS-14DX, which comes with a quick release and an additional 1/4 horse. I have the DX model and it's great. Both get great reviews, too.

I have read the other posts and I am holding my position on the router lift. If you already had everything you needed then I'd say go for it. With your budget, you can get by without one in exchange for getting some things you can't get by without like the jointer and band saw.

I'm excited for you. Please let us know how you do.
    The day you think you know everything will be very same day you stop learning.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Arnold View Post
    Do you think a router lift is necessary?
    They are luxuries. Some might say necessary but there are ways around a lift even with conventional routers. You don't need one at all if you have a router made specifically to obviate the lift. The Triton 3.25 HP router is a table router that they made such that it's not much good out of a table but great in. Above the table tool change, hand crank handle micro fine adjustment . I have a review of it somewhere where I slam it hard for all it's many failings but praise it in the table.

6" table top jointer (which I'll build additional infeed & out feed tables to). Any sugestions here?
    Yah don't. Save your pennies and get the biggest jointer you can find. 12" is about right, bigger is handier yet still.

I need to know where yall find all these deals that I can't seem to find.
    Me too.
    Last edited by Cliff Rohrabacher; 06-15-2007 at 12:20 PM.

Router lift: a luxury I'll probably never purchase.

Jointer: 6" open stand would be the minimum, but how's the dust collection on this?

Steps to buying a new band saw:
    (Band saws always involve more steps and preparations and fiddling than most tools, so might as well get used to it now! )

1. Get the The Band Saw Book by Lonnie Bird

2. Get the Band Saw Handbook by Mark Duginske

3. Get the Iturra Design catalog and read it like a textbook on selecting a good bandsaw: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=9667

4. After doing all of this, you'll probably want to get an older used Delta, hopefully with at least 1 HP, the older the better