The wife would love a new bedroom set, as our current stuff is kind of a patchwork quilt of family hand-downs and cheap stuff (money was tight(er) when the kids were small). First up, some sort of underbed storage to support our new Tempur-Pedic mattress and replace the simple metal frame we have now. Yeah, those mattresses ain't cheap, but she has some back concerns, and our old mattress wasn't helping things a bit for either of us as far as a decent night's sleep... a family has to prioritize it's needs. Not really planning a fancy headboard or footboard at this point, but that could change. I hoped first to see what others think of the underbed storage options they chose for their beds (if they had gone this route).

Bedroom layout: King size mattress (aprox 6' wide x 7' long), 25" total height, 5" under the bare-bones metal frame. 6 feet of clear space from the foot of the bed to the entertainment center on opposite wall, aprox 3 feet of free space on each side of the bed to his/hers chests of drawers. We each have a small nightstand on our side of the bed.

Given that a single large "box" to support the bed would be a monster to move to and from the bedroom (upstairs and around a tight corner), I'm thinking two or even three separate box frames fixed together to house the drawers would be the ticket. But which way to position the drawers? Short ones (3' depth) pulling out to the side? Long ones (6' depth) pulling out from the foot? Combination of the two-- shorter drawers (1' deep) on the side and a single long 2'-wide drawer pulling out from the center of the foot? Drawer height will be a consideration, I don't want the bed to be too much taller than it is now (knee high), a couple/three additional inches at most. The drawers will be mostly for storage of blankets and seasonal clothing to free up some closet space. Obviously, having both side drawers and nightstands at the head of the bed would create a problem, so no side drawers in that location.

Again, haven't thought about design or looks at this point, just interested to hear from others about things they would do differently if they had to do it again, or ideas that worked out better than they thought. Then I'll start planning things out. The search function didn't really cover this, and the many books/plans out there don't exactly say how folks "like" the designs in terms of practical use.

Thanks for any input.

Dave