Thread: New Jet Mini (or at least like new)

New Jet Mini (or at least like new)

I spent a day with an experienced turner and now I am hooked! Shortly afterwards I ran across a deal to buy out someone who apparently did not have the time or inclination for turning and got a Jet Mini 1014 with lots of goodies with it. Bit of a sticker shock to get get everything at one time but he included calipers, gouges including a couple of Sorbys, variable grinder w/ Woverine system, SuperNova chuck with 6 sets of jaws, Beall system and finishing supplies, calipers etc. Last weekend I attended the annual Turning Day in Atlanta with several experienced turners demonstrating.

Here is a picture of it with the former owner's fabrication to keep from buying the additional cross bar. It works but I keep stumbling over the feet. I am wondering whether to buy the Jet cross bar for the extension or fabricate one from a 2X6 so I can get the legs spread out so I won't keep stumbling over them. I got a copy of Taunton's Complete Illustrated Guide to Turning by Richard Raffan and am watching his DVD from the local library.

That is 5 gal bucket has a bunch of cherry stock for short spindles I have been practising on. It may be a while til I work up to bowls.

Any thoughts or advice welcome.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mike Peace; 06-15-2007 at 7:30 PM.

Wow! What a great gloat! Welcome to the abyss--you will find yourself spending more and more money on a face shield, turning smock, turning tools, blanks, finishing supplies, turning tools (yes, again), etc. etc. etc. Just take a picture of your money and put it on the wall, because that's the last you'll see of it!!

Yes, you need to do something about those legs. With my luck, I'd be in the middle of something critical, shift my feet and trip over one of them, thereby ruining the piece. Why don't you build some sort of stand/cabinet for the lathe and just toss that stand?

You're hooked now!!

Nancy
    Nancy Laird
    Owner - D&N Specialties, Rio Rancho, New Mexico
    Woodworker, turner, laser engraver; RETIRED!
    Lasers - ULS M-20 (20W) & M-360 (40W), Corel X4 and X3
    SMC is user supported. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

3. Congrats Mike! Looks like you are at a full gallup right out of the gate!

Well, thats just "too cool". Great gloat. Either get the base extension or build the cabinet, but don't toss the stand as they sell for way over a hundred bucks ! I have the stand set up on a regular mini and really like it. Anyway like Nancy said, kiss your money farewell !
    941.44 miles South of Steve Schlumph

TURN SAFE

Congrats Mike,
    I also have the Jet mini it's a nice lathe to learn on. I just recently got into making bowls & blew up a few already Please make sure you wear a face shield. Good Luck (The vortex claims another one)

Chuck

Hi Mike,

I recently got the cross bar for the extension for my Jet mini and stand and it was worth the price. I snagged it off of Amazon for less than $50, including shipping. Good luck with your new purchase.

Hey Mike welcome to the black hole of turning. Wow that is a gloat and a half. Great find.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Wow Mike - Congrats on all the equipment! Have fun with it and start posting some of the results!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Mike......Congrats and welcome to the Abyss! I've got the twin to that except....it's on a 2x12....between 2 halves of a Little Giant Ladder system..........You think the legs get in the way...try reaching over the headstock with your left shoulder pinned against a ladder......Congrats and enjoy!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I'd consider the present stand a safety hazard! Upgrade if you're in a hurry, build your own if you're not and have the tools for efficient flatwork. That way you can build in storage below if you want...
    Have fun!

Congratulations Mike. Nice going getting all that at once. Looks like you only need one more thing... a credit card with no limit.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernie Nyvall View Post
    Congratulations Mike. Nice going getting all that at once. Looks like you only need one more thing... a credit card with no limit.
    ...and a built in cooling fan...so it doesn't melt. Congratulations Mike great gloat.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Tom

Turning comes easy to some folks .... wish I was one of them

and only 958 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf

Quote Originally Posted by Robert McGowen View Post
    Hi Mike,

I recently got the cross bar for the extension for my Jet mini and stand and it was worth the price. I snagged it off of Amazon for less than $50, including shipping. Good luck with your new purchase.
    Robert, I think I will do the same. I made the rounds today of the woodworking stores around town and no one had one in stock. I like the Jet stand. Do not think I would have paid the money for it but since I have one, I think adding the cross bar is the best solution. It is a sturdy stand.

I appreciate every one's words of encouragment!