Thread: Ash for workbench top ....

Ash for workbench top ....

I'm about to build a nice workbench (at least I hope it will be nice). I know the preferred wood for the top is hard maple. I have some ash I came across (free stuff) a few yrs back, ranging from 2-3" thick, 6- 12" wide, and 8-12 ft long. Enough to make at least 2, maybe three large table tops. Question is, will ash hold up in the shop / workbench environment? Will it make a serviceable workbench top, or should I start scrounging for some hard maple?

What say ye fellow creekers?
    Tony

IMHO, the ash will work just fine, although it obviously will not be as tough as hard maple, beech or other similar close-grained, heavy species. This would be more of an issue if you were a full-time production woodworker who "bangs" on the thing day-in, day-out, but for most of us, it's not.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I say to thee: make thine workebench of ye olde ashe. Seeing as how ash is the wood of choice for baseball bats, I'd say it would be more than adequate for a workbench. Depending on your preference, you may have to fill the grain, but I'm sure it will give you many, many years of service. (Personally, I'd even settle for white oak, which is softer than ash).
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore