Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Perhaps We are but Insects on this Planet

I think I remember hearing that most measurements for Co2 were taken on mount kilawaya, if thats how it's spelled, because it was so high and for the most part, free of pollution.

China overtakes US as world's biggest CO2 emitter

Headline this morning
    GK.

Bzzzzzzzzzz.......Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzz..........Bzzzzzz zzzzzzzzz..................Bzzzzzzzzzzzz

Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Wagner View Post
    I think I remember hearing that most measurements for Co2 were taken on mount kilawaya, if thats how it's spelled, because it was so high and for the most part, free of pollution.
    Well, yeah...if you don't count an active volcano as "pollution".
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    Well, yeah...if you don't count an active volcano as "pollution".
    Maybe I am not thinking of the right mountain. It is the one with all the telescopes on top. the one with the Keck telescope?? I don't think it was the active one of the Hawaiian islands.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Wagner View Post
    Maybe I am not thinking of the right mountain. It is the one with all the telescopes on top. the one with the Keck telescope?? I don't think it was the active one of the Hawaiian islands.
    That's Mauna Kea...Kilauea is on the flank of Mauna Loa: same island, maybe 30 miles apart.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Global warming? Nahhh...... We need to worry about global COOLING!!!

http://www.canada.com/nationalpost/f...4068db11f4&p=4

Glad you brought up our environment Ed. What I can't understand is why our national and world leaders are totally ignoring a problem of much greater proportions. Here are some facts about DMHO;

Dihydrogen monoxide is colorless, odorless, tasteless, and kills uncounted thousands of people every year. Most of these deaths are caused by accidental inhalation of DHMO, but the dangers of dihydrogen monoxide do not end there. Prolonged exposure to its solid form causes severe tissue damage. Symptoms of DHMO ingestion can include excessive sweating and urination, and possibly a bloated feeling, nausea, vomiting and body electrolyte imbalance. For those who have become dependent, DHMO withdrawal means certain death.

Dihydrogen monoxide:

• is also known as hydroxl acid, and is the major component of acid rain.
    • contributes to the "greenhouse effect."
    • may cause severe burns.
    • contributes to the erosion of our natural landscape.
    • accelerates corrosion and rusting of many metals.
    • may cause electrical failures and decreased effectiveness of automobile brakes.
    • has been found in excised tumors of terminal cancer patients.
    Contamination is reaching epidemic proportions!

Quantities of dihydrogen monoxide have been found in almost every stream, lake, and reservoir in America today. But the pollution is global, and the contaminant has even been found in Antarctic ice. DHMO has caused millions of dollars of property damage in the midwest, and recently California.

Despite the danger, dihydrogen monoxide is often used:
    • as an industrial solvent and coolant.
    • in nuclear power plants.
    • in the production of styrofoam.
    • as a fire retardant.
    • in many forms of cruel animal research.
    • in the distribution of pesticides. Even after washing, produce remains contaminated by this chemical.
    • as an additive in certain "junk-foods" and other food products.
    Companies dump waste DHMO into rivers and the ocean, and nothing can be done to stop them because this practice is still legal. The impact on wildlife is extreme, and we cannot afford to ignore it any longer!

The American government has refused to ban the production, distribution, or use of this damaging chemical due to its "importance to the economic health of this nation." In fact, the navy and other military organizations are conducting experiments with DHMO, and designing multi-billion dollar devices to control and utilize it during warfare situations. Hundreds of military research facilities receive tons of it through a highly sophisticated underground distribution network. Many store large quantities for later use.

More info is available here;

http://www.dhmo.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Crawford View Post
    Here are some facts about DMHO;
    Perhaps there's a reason why scientists and world leaders are ignoring the worries about DMHO, but are still concerned about global warming.
    Please consider becoming a contributing member of Sawmill Creek.
    The cost is minimal and the benefits are real. Donate

Boy, not many bites on this one. The DHMO thing was a paper done by a 14 year old. It's simply water (2 hydrogen - dihydrogen and 1 oxygen - monoxide). The way it was written, however, can get people stirred up. It was to point out that if a story is phrased properly and told often enough, some people will believe it. As for the global warming, I've heard and read some brilliant people presenting evidence both ways. I guess time will tell.

In the meantime, regardless of which side of the debate a person may be on, doesn't Hydrogen make sense as a fuel? Where's all the funding for research into this abundant and clean energy source?

Just Another Pawn

Any new source will have the same problems. Manufacturing, marketing, distribution, product performance, financing etc, If it was as easy as throwing money at it , I think it would have been solved years ago.
    Gary K.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Crawford View Post
    . . . doesn't Hydrogen make sense as a fuel?. . .
    Hydrogen makes plenty of sense as a fuel, but where are you going to find it?

Power needs to be generated to create it first and if we are using hydrocarbons to generate that power, we don't come out ahead at all.

Also, hydrogen is devilishly difficult to contain and transport. Because each molecule is so small, it can actually move through many materials which we think of as solid.

There are a lot of problems which need to be solved before hydrogen would work. There are other solutions which are available right now.
    Please consider becoming a contributing member of Sawmill Creek.
    The cost is minimal and the benefits are real. Donate

The SKY IS ..................
    Joe
    ------------------------------------------------

Experience...is simply the name we give our mistakes.

Oscar Wilde
    .................................................. ..................

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Hoyt View Post
    ...Who cares what or who is at fault? ...Fixing it or learning to adapt seems a far better course of action.
    I fail to understand how "Fixing it..." can possibly happen unless we "care(s) what or who is at fault". In other words, how can you fix it if you don't know what to fix?

(That's assuming, of course, that there's anything that needs fixing.)
    Last edited by Tom Veatch; 06-24-2007 at 12:10 AM.
    Tom Veatch
    Wichita, KS
    USA

There are alot of people that think 9-11-2001 was a government (USA) conspiracy.
    There are alot of people that believe Hurricane Katrina was a government plot.
    There are alot of people that think humans can change the earth's weather.
    There are alot of people that still see Elvis........Everywhere....

Gary K.