Thread: Sources for Lumber in Northern Wisconsin

Sources for Lumber in Northern Wisconsin

Hey all!

We are moving to the Appleton Wisconsin area and have not lived there as a woodworker (went to school in Madison though). I was wondering if any of you could tell me where the best place for hardwood lumber is. Not looking for anything out of the ordinary, Cherry, Maple, Walnut, Oak, etc.

Thanks!
    Jason Morgan

KMH Hardwoods

I like Kettle Moraine Hardwoods in Hartford. www.kmhardwoods.com

They are a short trip south from Appleton and the selection is great for domestic and imported hardwood and various thicknesses from 4/4 to 8/4.

Their prices are reasonable and they give discounts for 100 bf and 1000 bf orders. I haven't had any problem calling ahead for a request and picking it up pulled and banded the next day. Their wood is KD and flat and they will surface or straight line rip for a nominal charge. They have a decent selection of shorts priced reasonably for smaller projects. I hope that helps! Welcome to WI, the Fox Valley is a very nice area.

5261 Aurora Road, Hartford, WI 53027
    Hwy. 41 & Hwy K
    262 644 8119

How about Schmidt Lumber in Shawano. I have had good luck with them in the past.

http://www.schmidtlumber.com/

I have got lumber from Kettle Maraine as well. Both are very good.

Quinn

Thanks

Thanks for the heads up on Schmidt Lumber. I found Kettel Morraine in Woodfinder, but schmidt slipped through.

Ill check them both out when I get there. Wish me (or my tools rather) luck in the move.
    Jason Morgan

Welcome to the Cheese state.

Hi there and welcome to the wonderful state of cheese and Packers.

I actually work in Appleton and I have found some good lumber on craigslist. I am extremely new to the wood working hobby and I don't have any real good wood sources yet. I would be interested in what you find.

There is a place called Valley Planing that possibly sells hardwood lumber. I don't really know, but I have heard that may be a wood source. There are some small lumber mills that are in the Local papers near Shawano that advertise lumber. There is one Gentleman that advertises in the Shawano Area. I think his name is Erv Kroenke. He has a small sawmill and I dont know what type of lumber he has. If you are interested I can find his number in the paper that comes out tomorrow. I live near Shawano (Clintonville) If I can help you out, let me know.
    Shannon

Being in the north, look around for local guys who saw and dry.

I have found a few around me (I'm in central Michigan area) who have good lumber at great prices.

Start at a local cabinet shop and ask around. Someone should know somebody.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

about and hour and a half north in Crandon, a fella, Bud Evans does custom sawing and has two kiln units. He cuts lots of ovals for taxidermy shops, unique mantle peices, and bar tops. He does lots of traveling, delivery may be possible. PM me and I can get you his number

lumber

I have several thousand ft of curly maple and I would be glad to part with some of it. I build custom furniture, so I also have some other things around, or can get it for you. I live between Black Creek and Seymour, about 15 miles north of Appleton. Phone number is 920-833-7157. Thanks Bob

Hi Bob,

What are you looking to get for your curly maple? Is this select & better and kiln dried?

Thanks,
    Scott

curly maple

Yes it is kiln dried select and better. It starts at 4$ per bd ft. It does go up for wide stock and thicker stock. That is how I buy it. Thanks for asking, Bob

Thanks Bob!

Cool,

Im always looking for maple. Ill look you up as soon as I get settled. The movers come next week and I hope to have the shop set up by the end of July.
    Jason Morgan