Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ordering wood from internet

Ordering wood from internet

I ordered 100bf of lumber from an internet company. I received the delivery yesterday and measured all the wood. I was generous when measuring (in the companies favor). I had the wood straight edged and i took that into account when measuring. if a board measured 5.25 i counted it as 6".

Well it came out to 94.01bf. I called and the company will be investigating and making it right.

My question is that is this normal? Would like to hear other creeker's experiences with the preciseness of their orders.

Thanks,
    jim

I must admit I have no experience with internet wood purchases, but I am very curious.

What company did you use? What species did you order? Are you satisfied with the quality of the product(s)?

I have thought several times about ordering on-line for certain exotic products. Being in eastern PA, though, I have quite a number of excellent lumberyards within easy driving distance for nearly everything I need.

I have used woodworkers source before and they were great. A little pricier than others but very good quality.
    http://woodworkerssource.net/

This time i used internetlumer.com. I order 100bf of 4/4 steamed #1C cherry, 25bf of soft maple and 20bf of 8/4 cherry-fas.
    http://internetlumber.com/

The wood from internetlumber.com was not packed very well at all, just on skids and strapped down with metal straps that left indentations in the top boards. Most of the wood is nice looking though. For #1C steamed I cannot be too critical.

They said they will make up the difference that I measured.

Jim

4. Internet Lumber

Hi Jim:

I've ordered 4 times from Internetlumber.com. Never the amount that you have, but specific boards of a species. No machining as you have.

One of the shipments was damaged, I notified them with digital pictures and found the problem rectified surprisingly fast.

I have ordered from them since without an issue. Hopefully customer service will come through again for you.

Neil

I ordered 20BF Red Oak FAS HobbyPak from internetlumber.com. FAS has to be at least 83% useable. The wood came in four 7' long boards 7/8" thick and 8 to 8 1/2" wide. One board was ok. The other three had either 1 or 2 large dead knots or holes. One was cracked from one end two feet down the center of the board. I measured the wood total, then subtracted the amounts that needed to be removed and came up with about 76% of 20 BF...in bits and pieces no less. They said if I took digital pictures and sent them in they would make up the difference but it wasn't worth it to me for 7% of 20 BF. I told them I understand 83% usable is considered FAS but I would have liked for it to be closer to 90%+ usable for what I paid. I told them it was a test before I bought from them in bulk (which it kind of was actually). It was rough cut wood, and not counting all the defect wood I only saved about $40 than had I bought S4S FAS from the Borg where I can select the best pieces. From now on, I'm hunting down the lumber yards. Some fellow WWers on here PMed me some local lumber yards, and I will definetly use their advice on my next large project.
    Stephen

100 bf should be 100 bf, regardless of where you purchased it from.

I have purchased many, many board feet of lumber over the Internet over the years, from dealers as well as on eBay. The first thing I do when receiving the goods is measure it out to make sure I received what I ordered and paid for. If the order is short, I let the seller know right away. With the exception of one seller, whom I will not deal with again, everyone has always shipped the correct amount or made good on any shortage.

There is one seller that I have purchased from on eBay several times that always seems throws in an extra piece or two. This is someone that I will continue to purchase from.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Podsedly View Post
    I have used woodworkers source before and they were great. A little pricier than others but very good quality.
    http://woodworkerssource.net/

Jim
    I live 2 miles from Woodworkers Source in Tempe AZ and they have a very unique way of measuring wood. Call it the "Retail" method. They measure the widest part of each board and round up to the nearest 1/2" or nearest 1", not consistent on that. Then they measure the length and round up to the nearest foot !! If you buy lumber that is not S4S, this can really add up. If you want them to S4S, they measure the rough stuff first, charge for that, and then charge for making S4S. When I buy at every other source in the Phoenix area, especially from commercial outlets, they use a bd ft stick. They measure at the narrowest part of the board, and then on length they round down to the nearest foot. This difference can really add up. Between the rounding down and up, I see about 20-25 higher bd ft counts from Woodworkers Source. Then, Woodworkers Source is about 50% higher per board foot than the other places. To top it off, their american hardwoods are generally very low quality, the kind of stuff commercial shops would reject. I only use Woodworkers Source when I am desperate for a small chunk, or for exotics that nobody else local carrys...joe

I ordered a bunch of Cocobola from Mike Mastin, SMC Member, at CurlyWoods. It was my first experience buying "mail order wood", and everything went great. They called me two or three times to describe the material to me, and ensure it would be acceptable to me.
    When the wood came it was incredible. I wouldn't hesitate to use them again.

I've never done mail order but the 2 lumberyards I deal with in person always err slightly in my favor. There was a thread a couple of months back where someone had asked about measuring wood from a lumber purchase and there were many responses.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Jensen View Post
    I live 2 miles from Woodworkers Source in Tempe AZ and they have a very unique way of measuring wood. Call it the "Retail" method. They measure the widest part of each board and round up to the nearest 1/2" or nearest 1", not consistent on that. Then they measure the length and round up to the nearest foot !! If you buy lumber that is not S4S, this can really add up. If you want them to S4S, they measure the rough stuff first, charge for that, and then charge for making S4S. When I buy at every other source in the Phoenix area, especially from commercial outlets, they use a bd ft stick. They measure at the narrowest part of the board, and then on length they round down to the nearest foot. This difference can really add up. Between the rounding down and up, I see about 20-25 higher bd ft counts from Woodworkers Source. Then, Woodworkers Source is about 50% higher per board foot than the other places. To top it off, their american hardwoods are generally very low quality, the kind of stuff commercial shops would reject. I only use Woodworkers Source when I am desperate for a small chunk, or for exotics that nobody else local carrys...joe
    I think that I would not ever buy anything from your Woodworkers Source store.

for west coasters try these folks
    http://www.eisenbran.com/
    have ordered specialty pieces and their quality is great.

jerry
    jerry

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cutler View Post
    I ordered a bunch of Cocobola from Mike Mastin, SMC Member, at CurlyWoods. It was my first experience buying "mail order wood", and everything went great. They called me two or three times to describe the material to me, and ensure it would be acceptable to me.
    When the wood came it was incredible. I wouldn't hesitate to use them again.
    I'm about 7 miles from Mike's store so I don't need to mailorder but I certainly don't hesitate to reccommend him to anyone. He really bends over backwards to provide excellent service.
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

The orders I have placed (Hearne, Curly Maple, Groffs), I tell them I need say 10 board feet of whatever. Instead of making them find boards that add up to 10 board feet, I just request them to hand select nice boards and if it comes out to 12, that is fine, I'll pay for it. This has worked well, it's easier for everyone...

My two cents...

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Jenkins View Post
    I'm about 7 miles from Mike's store so I don't need to mailorder but I certainly don't hesitate to reccommend him to anyone. He really bends over backwards to provide excellent service.
    You're a lucky dude Steve. The wood they that sent to me was so much better than anything I could source locally in that quanity. It's difficult to get a big selection of exotic hardwoods in New England. I have a local WoodCraft, in Warwick, that works hard at it though, thank goodness.
    When it came, I shelved the project idea I had because of the quality and figure of the wood that they sent me.I'll use it someday, just not on that particular project.
    Last edited by Mike Cutler; 05-11-2007 at 9:07 PM.

i bought 20 bf of FAS1F+ from internet lumber. it was slightly over 20 bf but no where near FAS1F+. most pieces had 2 or more standard defects or large areas of wane or large splits. i could not get an adequate response from cust service and will probably not buy again.