Thread: Anyone Heard about this new Jet TS with Riving Knife

Anyone Heard about this new Jet TS with Riving Knife

Jet apparently has a new tablesaw available with a riving knife. This is the only reference I have found for it http://s7ondemand7.scene7.com/s7onde...g=swing_07_jet

I talked to my local woodcraft where I first saw this flyer and to another tool dealer I have purchased from and both contacted jet and confirmed that the saw is available for the price in the flyer but didn't know anything more about it. Running a number of searches on the internet I cant find anything else about it.

I would think a sub 2K TS from JET with a riving knife and arbor lock would be big news (from the picture in the flyer the riving knife appears to be the same as the PM so it looks like WMH is just reusing the PM system).

The flyer is a little confusing as it lists both the new saws and the old jet XACTA saws but pictures the old one, except for the riving knife picture. I am in the market for a new TS and am very interested in this one, but I am leary until I can find more info.

Jet riving knife info

If you go to the Jet website, they have some info in a downloadable ad. I have Jet's JTAS-10XL tablesaw which appears to be what they based the new model on, so I sent Jet an email asking about the possibility of retrofitting the riving knife and/or arbor lock from the new model to their older saws. The answer was encouraging:

"Thanks for your e-mail. At this time, we are unable to offer a retro-fit kit for the older saws. I am told that we will eventually have one."

If I can be of further assistance please let me know.
    Aundrea Berkey
    Internet Customer Support
    WMH Tool Group
    Makers of POWERMATIC®, JET®, and WILTON® products

Stay tuned and see what happens!

It's good to see riving knifes becoming available at lower price points. Much as I would like to have a Saw Stop or PM2000, their cost (especially the SS) is pretty much beyond anything I could justify.

We'll have to see what Delta's offerings are in a bit. I doubt we'll ever see this feature in a contractor saw.
    Measure twice, cut three times, start over. Repeat as necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Peterson View Post
    It's good to see riving knifes becoming available at lower price points. Much as I would like to have a Saw Stop or PM2000, their cost (especially the SS) is pretty much beyond anything I could justify.

We'll have to see what Delta's offerings are in a bit. I doubt we'll ever see this feature in a contractor saw.
    There was a post on one of three forums I visit (I think here though), that said a riving knife was one of the new requirements after a certain date (I think 2008). That being said, it has been available on what is generally considered a benchtop saw since at least 96. The Ryobi BT series and clones.

It's mighty interesting to read about the arrival of riving knives in America, and how so far they seem to be an option only on higher end machines!

As you may know, all table saws have been fitted with riving knives over here for more than 30 years. As we are all now being supplied by the same few factories in China, it seems obvious that in the next year or so all table saws in the world will come with them as standard.

And not before time...

We've been saying riving knives are on the horizon for years now. I wouldn't hold my breath. It'll be 10-yrs before it makes any headway I bet. Sure I'll buy a conversion kit for my JET if/when it becomes available at a decent price. Not sure as a hobbyist if I'll sell my old saw to get a new one though.

Called Jet today, the tech didn't know anything about it, but I gave him the model number and after a few hours voila he was able to find a copy of an owners manual and sent if to me. I would imagine it wouldnt be a problem to send it on if anyone is interested. VERY NICE LOOKING SAW.

Quote Originally Posted by Randal Stevenson View Post
    There was a post on one of three forums I visit (I think here though), that said a riving knife was one of the new requirements after a certain date (I think 2008)
    In the latest issue of Popular Woodworking, there is an article by Kelly Mehler about European saws. In the article he does state that starting in 2008 a riving knife will be incorporated on all new saws. The proposal was passes by Standards Technical Panel at UL at which he is a member.