Thread: laminate trimmer ?

laminate trimmer ?

i am looking at the porter cable 310 which has a $30 rebate going on. anybody have any opinions on this or another which you prefer? i plan on using it after i veneer some substrate.

Quote Originally Posted by craig lapiana View Post
    i am looking at the porter cable 310 which has a $30 rebate going on. anybody have any opinions on this or another which you prefer? i plan on using it after i veneer some substrate.
    That's the one I use, and like it. However, the subbase plate was warped by literally 1/16". I took it back to the dealer, and we went through about 5 more boxes - all badly warped. I purchased a Pat Warner subbase for it, problem solved. Dead flat, and transparent, so you can better see your work:

http://www.patwarner.com/pc310_special.html

Bits constantly get stuck in the collet. Not a big deal, but annoying- you have to tap them to get them un-stuck.

Still, it's one of the best out there, in it's price range. I really like the way it fits in my hand- very stable.

Depending on your budget, you may want to look at the Festool 1010. I have it's big brother, the Festool 1400, which is an absolute dream router. At some point, I'll save my pennies and get the 1010. But beware, they're pricey and maybe not for everyone. Dust collection is a primary motivator for wanting the Festool 1010, as every time I use my 310, my shop is just covered in chips and dust.

Todd

Even though it isn't as ergonomic in the hand, I like my 310 better than my Bosch Colt - better center of gravity and doen't kill bearings. I replaced the sub base as well. I use it to run 1/8" roundovers every other day, so the bit sticking thing isn't a huge issue, just a minor annoyance.
    JR

Wood Magazine recently did an evaluation of trim routers. The Bosch Colt won Best Tool. The test included the PC 310 and 7310. I have a PC310 and a Pat Warner base. If I were buy a trim router today, I'd look very closely at the Bosch Colt.
    Dave Falkenstein aka Daviddubya
    Cave Creek, AZ

I bought a PC310 just as the colt was reaching stores a while back.
    Mine was made in USA and the new ones are made in Mexico...
    The Pat Warner offset base is terrific.
    This is my roundover/chamfer/flush trim router #1.
    Great low center of gravity. Fairly smooth and quiet.
    Actually machined from aluminum.
    The Colt is made in Malaysia, and has a great grip and can be found for a good price.
    I say, if Porter Cable moved production to Mexico, why should I buy them?
    Might as well get the Bosch.

I just got the Bosch and am very happy with it, I have not use it a lot yet but I really like it so far.

I first got a Ridgid and it was just to hot to handle. I checked it with a no load run for 7 min. and at the top of the base it was 128 degrees. I talked to Ridgid and they said take it back.
    I took it back and got another one and did the same test for 7 min. and it was running 129 degrees, I took it back and got the Bosch.
    I did the same test with the Bosch and after 10 min. of no load running the hottest place I could find was 98 degrees.

The trim adaptor on the Ridgid was much much better then the one for the Bosch.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Solomon View Post
    Depending on your budget, you may want to look at the Festool 1010. I have it's big brother, the Festool 1400, which is an absolute dream router. At some point, I'll save my pennies and get the 1010. But beware, they're pricey and maybe not for everyone. Dust collection is a primary motivator for wanting the Festool 1010, as every time I use my 310, my shop is just covered in chips and dust.
    Todd
    hmmmm i have a c22 already and didnt even consider the 1010 in that i didnt realize it would be light enough to mange in trimming veneers with ease?

but now i see the weight (6lbs) is about the same as the colt but it is about twice the weight of the pc310.

then if i get a rail for the 1010 this would allow other uses beyond trimming.

todd do you use the rail often? what size do you have 1080 mm? i would think you would want to get at least 48 in to be able to go across the width of a sheet of ply?

thanks for the feedback

Blog Entries
    I have the VS Colt and like the variable speed for larger bits. It is just a little guy after all. I like the feel of the 310 and it looks like a stout little guy but I went with the Colt in the end. Fit my hand a little better but that's going to be different for everybody.

The 310 is 4 amps vs. the Colt's 5.7 but I've never seen a post from 310 owners here that complained about power. I tuned up the base so that its true but am still planning on a Pat Warner base with the offset handle and PC collar sized hole.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

every one else focused on the trimmer. May I suggest you go very easy using a trimmer on the veneer. You can chip the veneer and cause breaks in the good part. Some rules of thumb that I employ: 1) if you use a trimmer, use a very sharp trimming bit (new and clean) 2) cut the veneer so that it is no greater than 1/8" to be trimmed. 3) Go slow and watch the grain. Use a climb cut and very softly if the veneer isnt being trimmed easily. 4) or leave trimmer on the shelf and use veneer saw followed by very sharp block plane followed by hand sanding block.
    If you are doing crotch veneer or very dry veneer, these "rules" are doubly important. Fact is, once you do it this way, you might well leave the PC trimmer in the drawer for use with Formica typle laminates.
    In searching my website, I came across this:

and here is a page or two: http://www.woodshopdemos.com/gclk-66.jpg
    Last edited by John Lucas; 06-22-2007 at 1:13 AM.
    John Lucas
    woodshopdemos

hmmmm i have a c22 already and didnt even consider the 1010 in that i didnt realize it would be light enough to mange in trimming veneers with ease?

but now i see the weight (6lbs) is about the same as the colt but it is about twice the weight of the pc310.

then if i get a rail for the 1010 this would allow other uses beyond trimming.

todd do you use the rail often? what size do you have 1080 mm? i would think you would want to get at least 48 in to be able to go across the width of a sheet of ply?

thanks for the feedback
    I haven't had the 1400 for that long, so I haven't used it with the rail. I have the 55" rail that came with my 55 circular saw.

There are some more detailed discussions about this very topic on festool owners group dot com, if you'd like to learn more from some experienced 1010 users. The 1010 is spoken of highly for laminate trimming.

Take care

Todd