Hi everyone,

I've been looking to build a storage case for my hand tools for some time now. I have a design for a wall mounted cabinet, but lack the wall space to really place it conveniently. There is no where in my shop that would really work for a wall mounted cabinet. My workbench is admittedly too wide. So mounting it above my bench is out (if/until I fix the width).

I spent some time looking around my shop and trying to spot the under-utilized areas. My idea was to use as much as I could for storage with the hope that I could find a spot to mount my tool cabinet. Lately I've been going through my tools and eliminating the ones I don't use/need. Many of these will be put up for sale over the next couple months (subtle heads up there!).

During my search I noticed that the two places where I could really improve. They turned out to be under my work bench, and under my lathe tool cart. The lathe cart needs to be completely re-designed. That is for another forum. But I'm currently working on a plans to add a cabinet(s) that features appropriately sized drawers. This cabinet should have enough room to hold most of my hand tools safely and securely (it will be lock-able).

However, I'd like to put this question to all here.

1. What kind of storage system do you prefer for your handtools? In a closed/ opened cabinet? Cubbies along a wall?
  2. Or a drawer in your workbench?
  3. And why do you prefer them?

Thanks!