Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: WoodMaster Drum Sander Owners

Question WoodMaster Drum Sander Owners

I have a few questions…..
    I am this close (thumb & forefinger almost touching) to ordering their 2675, 26” Drum Sander.

• The Asian imports are a lot cheaper, are you still happy with your decision to go with the Woodmaster?

• Did you get the reversing switch upgrade? Was it necessary?

• Woodmaster sells infeed/outfeed table extensions, but when doing my homework, I never hear them mentioned. Did you get them, do you wish you had? Are they even necessary? They do look like they take up a lot of space.

• I will need a mobile base. Is the one offered any good, or should I look elsewhere? I would prefer a Delta foot lever style base if I could find one that would fit.

• What is the actual measurement of the machine base?

• I would like a bigger 3hp DC but I would be boarder line, juice-wise, with the DS & DC running at the same time. I do have the 1.5hp Delta 50-850 1200cfm, with 1 micron bags. Do you think it will have enough wheaties? It does a great job on my Delta 18/36.

• Do you get your paper from Woodmaster or have you found a better/cheaper source?

Thanks for any information that you can provide. The Woodmaster is a fair chunk of change for a hobby wood shop, but I’m trying to get all the expensive toys before I retire in a few years.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

woodmaster

It is a great machine. I had a 37" double drum preformax. This is twice the machine that was. More power and smoother running. Skip the mobile base and make your own. Also don't have infeed and outfeed tables. No need . I have the reversing switch, don't really use it at all. I use a 2 horse dust collector, no problems.I will have to measure base . I guess all the stuff people write about the imports, they seem to all have problems. Just my thoughts. I like american made stuff. They will work out shipping for you also. Good customer service. I buy paper from Klingspor because I have an industrial account. Good paper from both. Good luck

Bruce, while not a professional WWer I do have the 2675 Woodmaster sander and while not using it everyday I have used it quite a bit the past couple of years and have been very satisfied but I have never used any other drum sander before to compare it to.
    • I got lucky and bought mine used for a little less than 1/2 price and this included 7-8 rolls of paper of various grits from 60-220; I was going to buy one new but found one virtually like new just a couple of hours from me from an old man who was retiring and didn't have room in his home shop to keep it.
    • It didn't come with the reversing switch but after just using it a couple of hours I determined real quick that it would be something that would come in handy and got it, I was right because this allows you to make multiple passes with out walking from the in feed to the out feed sides and back.
    • I have the infeed/outfeed rolls but never put them on because of space constraints and really haven't seen a need.
    • Mine is stationary so can't comment on the mobile base.
    • I'm at work now and don't have the measurements of the machine, can get them this evening if you need it.
    • While I am using an Oneida 2hp DC, the gentleman I bought it from was using the Delta and said it worked fine.
    • Still using the paper that came with it.
    Hope this helps some as I said don't have much experience with drum sanders I have been extremely satisfied with the Woodmaster.
    David

I can "third" the above. I've had my 37" WM for about 7 years and I love it. In fact Woodmaster sends guys who live near enough to my shop to check out my machine before they buy. The reversing switch is virtually useless.
    David DeCristoforo

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    I have a few questions…..
    I am this close (thumb & forefinger almost touching) to ordering their 2675, 26” Drum Sander.

• The Asian imports are a lot cheaper, are you still happy with your decision to go with the Woodmaster?

Yes I am. It seems like folks either loved the Performax/Delta/Etc or hated them. I mostly use the machine to surface thin pieces and shop cut veneer.

• Did you get the reversing switch upgrade? Was it necessary?

I got the switch and have still not mounted it two years later, so my answer is no.

• Woodmaster sells infeed/outfeed table extensions, but when doing my homework, I never hear them mentioned. Did you get them, do you wish you had? Are they even necessary? They do look like they take up a lot of space.

I think if i had to choose between the reversing switch and the out/infeed tables I would pick the latter.

• I will need a mobile base. Is the one offered any good, or should I look elsewhere? I would prefer a Delta foot lever style base if I could find one that would fit.

I don't much care for the Shop Fox mobile base that Woodmaster sells for the machine, very hard to maneuver the machine. The wheels are of a very low quality.

• What is the actual measurement of the machine base?

37 1/4 * 22

• I would like a bigger 3hp DC but I would be boarder line, juice-wise, with the DS & DC running at the same time. I do have the 1.5hp Delta 50-850 1200cfm, with 1 micron bags. Do you think it will have enough wheaties? It does a great job on my Delta 18/36.

I have a 3hp collector with a 1 micron bag, seems to work OK, until I finally get the Oneida cyclone...

• Do you get your paper from Woodmaster or have you found a better/cheaper source?

Klingspor, they are local to me (NC) and they are great folks

Thanks for any information that you can provide. The Woodmaster is a fair chunk of change for a hobby wood shop, but I’m trying to get all the expensive toys before I retire in a few years.
    If I had the opportunity to do it all over again, I would order the 3875 instead of the 2675. Hope this information helps..
    Last edited by Robert LaPlaca; 06-23-2007 at 9:37 AM.

Bruce
    I have a 26" woodmaster sander and yes I bought the reversing switch but never used it. I dont think the extension tables are necessary and I've run a fair amount of long material through(12'plus)mine and just used portable roller stands and never had problem. I buy my paper from Woodmaster and they give good service. I'm going to put mine up for sale as I no longer do the type of work I purchased it for. If your interested send me a PM or email. I also have a heavy duty mobile base for it that I'm selling with it. the unit weighs in the 400-500lb. range. I'm within about 30 miles of you.
    Regards
    Randy

I have the 38 inch model.Love it!!!. for the small shop you can not beat it. I bought the reversing switch and it has come in handy. You can not go wrong on this purchase.

I'm a bit confused about this reversing switch. If its simply a matter of feeding the plank, having it sanded in both directions, and having it spit back at you, I think I'd be a big fan. Geesh, wish my planer did that.

Randall, PM sent

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by James Kuhn View Post
    I'm a bit confused about this reversing switch. If its simply a matter of feeding the plank, having it sanded in both directions, and having it spit back at you, I think I'd be a big fan. Geesh, wish my planer did that.
    The funny thing is that because of the manner in which the abrasive is wrapped around the drum, running it "backwards" thrashes the abrasive! So, even though what you envision is possible, it does not work out very well in "the real world".
    David DeCristoforo

Gotcha, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by David DeCristoforo View Post
    The funny thing is that because of the manner in which the abrasive is wrapped around the drum, running it "backwards" thrashes the abrasive! So, even though what you envision is possible, it does not work out very well in "the real world".
    David, is that true even if you don't adjust the cut?

Andy Rooney

I have a 37" Woodmaster. I used it in a production environment for 4 or 5 years. I added the extension tables because it had a tendency to snipe the ends of long heavy workpieces such as 48" and longer raised panel doors. The extension tables helped this situation somewhat. Never could see a use for the reversing switch.

I would reccomend using woodmaster paper. They're competitive in their pricing and I think they have slightly better quality paper.

The machine is heavy and well made. Be sure and go thru your grit proggressions. We used 60,80,100,150. The machine did a nice job leveling joints in face frames and doors. I have since moved up to a 2 head widebelt as drumsanders are inherently slow and do not leave quite the same quality finish.

If I were buying a drumsander, woodmaster would be one that I would go for.

Hope this helps, Jon

"David, is that true even if you don't adjust the cut?"

Yes. The only time I have found the reversing switch useful is in "backing out" the stock when the machine "chokes" on a "too fat" pass and even then it doesn't work too well. I simply can't see the need for it and if you can save a few bills on the price by forgoing it, you are not really going to be sacrificing anything.
    David DeCristoforo

Thanks everyone, for the valuable information.

Andy Rooney