Thread: Laser Guide Systems

Laser Guide Systems

Am thinking of getting Jamieson captive hollowing system.
    Is the Lea Universal Laser Guide more "sturdy", less prone to vibrating than the Jamieson Laser Guide or just $15 more expensive?
    Help
    Thanks in advance
    Ernie
    Ernie on-the-dry-side; WA

My advice is to use the complete Jamieson system. I've had mine for 1 1/2 yrs and use it often. It is well thought out and a pleasure to use. I would advise you to get the cd that goes with it. Lyle has all info on his website. I would suggest going to him directly to purchase your hollowing rig.
    Jim
    Jim Bell

One more pass and you may see brass!

Blog Entries
    After an immense amount of research I found the Clark to be the best system IMHO. The website is www.theokspindoctor.com of course it's what ever you think is best for you. It did come complete with a swan neck and a straight neck as well as a few cutting tips.
    Last edited by Bill Wyko; 06-22-2007 at 7:16 PM.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

Ernie......I've only used my Jamieson on a couple of projects but I don't find vibration a problem with the laser. I turn the outside without the use of the laser. Then turn the inside as Lyle Jamieson recommends on his video. Works well and vibration really doesn't enter into the equation or process.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I use the monster unit from Randy Privett. I really like it especially since it comes complete and you don't have to buy all the accessories.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Bill,I have 2 friends in our local woodturning club, each with one of the two systems, Jamieson and Clark. My workspace/lathe setup is a bit crowded for the Clark system.
    Bernie, I took a look at the Monster system, but for me, a captured system looks easier, (given a touck of arthritus).
    Jim & Ken, Really leaning toward the Jamieson, will see him in Portland next weekend. Ken, maybe will bump into you at Woodcraft in the Spokane Valley sometime, about a 3 hour drive for me but closer than Seattle.
    Thanks to all of you for our suggestions and input. I knew I was in the right place for help. Thanks again,
    Ernie
    Ernie on-the-dry-side; WA