Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: largest segmented vase to date

largest segmented vase to date

This is my largest segmented piece to date. Walnut and maple with Danish oil and a Beall buffing. 181 pieces, 14" tall, 8" at widest point, and 3" at base. LOML thinks that I should have taken more wood out of the space from about 2" up from the base to about 2" below the large ring in the middle. Give it more of a straight sided look. I am looking for critique on the shape please.

P.S. I sold it to the first person that looked at it for quite a nice price, so I have pretty thick skin on the critique! (stealth gloat )
    Attached Images Attached Images

no , looks like a ballon out on the AZ desert during their fly in. very nice. LOML wants me to make her one based on what the ballons look like , since I have not ever done one I'd rather sell her one of yours or Malcoms...
    John 3:16

Robert, nice piece and nice gloat. I like the form and the finish.
    Ben

Blog Entries
    There you go again Robert. Great piece. It has a very nice flow to it. I hope I can start selling some pieces soon. You really took to segmenting like a fish in water. Again, great job.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

Robert,
    Took a moment for the shape to grow on me, but I like it. Very nice smooth curvature. Straighter "sides" would be less pleasing to the eye. With apologies to your LOML.

Wasn't to sure about the shape at first - but when you said you already sold it - the shape just has to be a winner!!! Great looking wood, joinery and love the finish! Very nice work!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Robert that is a beauty. I like the form and finish. Great gloat on the sale.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert McGowen View Post

so I have pretty thick skin on the critique! (stealth gloat )

Robert, very nice job on the joinery. Congratulations on the sale. You avoided cross-grain joints and that's a huge accomplishment. I have a few suggestions on the form. Imagine the base being a few inches higher on the profile. By doing so, you would have created a nice continuous flowing curve from top to bottom, and in my opinion, the shape would have been better. Reversing curve direction is usually risky unless it has a purpose such as defining a vessel opening. Regarding your top opening, it could use a little definition – a bead, a lip, a different color wood, etc. Also the feature ring would benefit with a contrasting color above and below it which would “frame it and make it more important.

Keep up the good work – you’re doing great!

Okay, I'll just throw this out there for grins. LOML also thinks that it looks better upside down with a lamp shade on it. She has already requested a semi-matching pair of lamps, "maybe a bit larger." I asked her if she knew what "3520b" meant? She said, "No, what?" I told her I would explain later.....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Robert McGowen View Post
    She has already requested a semi-matching pair of lamps, "maybe a bit larger." I asked her if she knew what "3520b" meant? She said, "No, what?" I told her I would explain later.....
    LOL!!!!!! Good one Robert!!!!!! Now....get it on order and show her how big of a lamp base you can turn for her on it.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Robert you have come a long way since your last degmented piece. Joinery and finish looks good, I can't really grab a hold on the form, but you sold the piece and that is satisfying. Keep up the good work
    865 miles southeast of Steve Schlumpf.

Nice segmenting job Robert. I kinda like it as a lamp too.

I actually like that- I think it looks great! ~ thats somthing to think about- nice job rob!

Great work Robert! Make sure you get the extension with the mustard.
    A few hours south of Steve Schlumpf

Blog Entries
    Very cool Rob I like it either way as a Vase or as a lamp, has a good 'feel' either way.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Tom

Turning comes easy to some folks .... wish I was one of them

and only 958 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf