Thread: "How to" for the scrap sphere.

"How to" for the scrap sphere.

Hi,

There were a few "how did you do that" questions when I posted the scrap sphere pic a few days ago. So...I made another batch and took some pics of the process. You can see them here.

I didn't go into great detail on the actual sphere trunig process, but you can get the general idea. Lotta articles on the web on sphere turning.

randy

Thanks Randy!
    I saw your previous post on these and I thought it was a great use of your "scraps".
    I'm started to get interested in turning but having never done so before, I was just fascinated at just how you did this.
    Too cool.
    By the way, what would you recommend an expierenced woodworker but non- turner get as a first lathe?

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Miller View Post

By the way, what would you recommend an expierenced woodworker but non- turner get as a first lathe?
    Hi Robert,

For the money, it's hard to beat the Jet Mini. But if you really enjoy turning and get into it, you'll out grow the Jet pretty fast. For the larger lathes, there are a lot to choose from. I have a Oneway (2036) and like it a lot. Solid and well made. Can't comment on any of the others since I have no experience with them.

randy

Robert.......I turn on a Jet VS Mini and it's a great little machine. I hope to upgrade to a PM 3520B later this fall.

Randy....thanks for putting up the links to your site! I think I'll have to try one of those balls.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Randy, Thanks for the tutorial. I really enjoy some of the other pieces on your site as well.
    Ben