Thread: Should I finish the inside of my chest of drawers? Pic

Should I finish the inside of my chest of drawers? Pic

I'm building a chest of drawers from solid cherry. Should I finish the inside of the chest? If so what finish do you recommend for the inside, I know not to use an oil based finish because of the smell on clothing. The out side will be finished with BLO and the so called water-based pre-cat lacquer from Fhurs.

Rich
    ALASKANS FOR GLOBAL WARMING

Eagle River Alaska

Richard, you should finish the interior of the chest, because you should ALWAYS finish all surfaces of wood to allow for proper wood movement. If you finish only the outside and don't finish the inside, you'll find the carcase pieces turning into shallow "C"s before long with humidity movement. Use the lacquer to finish the inside==but leave off the BLO. In fact, do a sample/scrap piece of the cherry with just the lacquer before you put BLO on the chest. You might find that you like it better.

As for the drawers, the best and easiest way we have found is to wax them with Minwax Finishing Wax--no smell whatsoever.

Nancy
    Nancy Laird
    Owner - D&N Specialties, Rio Rancho, New Mexico
    Woodworker, turner, laser engraver; RETIRED!
    Lasers - ULS M-20 (20W) & M-360 (40W), Corel X4 and X3
    SMC is user supported. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

Richard, great looking piece so far. I look forward seeing what it will look like when you get it finished - whatever course you decide to take. I usually opt to apply a coat of BLO on the inside of the carcase and call it good. I've never had any problems for what it' worth.

Blog Entries
    There are several schools of though on this. Old furniture and commercially built furniture generally isn't finished inside. With that said, I do apply equal amounts of finish inside and out on all areas that can be reached on the theory that it will help control seasonal humidity changes within the wood better than having unfinished wood on teh inside and 3 or more coats of finish on the outside.

I think what it comes down to is personal preference more than any thing.. I know it helps with cleaning and dust removal from the inside over the long run
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Richard,

Nice looking project!! That's going to be beautiful!

I've used 2# cut shellac for the insides and the drawers themselves...

Hey guys,
    I'm pretty new here, so can you tell me what BLO is?

Just to show that I am consistant, here is what I responded in the other forum.

Finishing the inside is purely optional. There is no compeling reason to either finish or not finish.

Most antiques and factory manufactured furniture is not finished. Many custom woodworkers go by the rule of if you can see it in normal operation, finish it: if you can feel it but not see it (underside of tabletop outside the apron), smooth it and give it a coat of finish.

If you want to go the extra step, spray on some of your waterborne or either spray or brush on some shellac.
    Howie.........

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Teichmann View Post
    Hey guys,
    I'm pretty new here, so can you tell me what BLO is?
    blo = boiled linseed oil

When I made this dresser for my son, I did not finish the inside of the carcass or the inside of the drawers, due to the concern of smelling up the clothes. It has been a year, and so far so good.

Mark
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    I only finish the drawer bodies on kitchen and shop units to allow easy cleaning. Are your drawer bodies going to be cherry? I'd sand to 400 and leave them alone . . . as a matter of fact that goes for poplar or BB ply as well IMHO.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

my opinion...don't finish the inside at all. Your joinery will keep things from warping. Even shellac has a very slight odor when it is confined to the inside of a piece and that is the least smelly finish product. Besides, people like the smell of wood.

My $.02

Thanks for all the good replies and advice. I think I'll go ahead and finish the the inside with Lacquerer while I'm spraying the outside, like someone said it will not take lone to do. I may skip the BLO all together. I'll make samples both ways and then decide.
    Rich
    ALASKANS FOR GLOBAL WARMING

Eagle River Alaska